TLD preview

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
VampireofBlood said:
feel like you want it to.
i dont care
Seems a tad arrogant, since this is not your thread, or forum. Talk about TLD, or don't talk at all.

Coming back to the mod, I have a question. I know it may be early to think about this, but shall we see some new quests in the new version? Not that anything was wrong with the old ones :wink:

Merlkir said:
VampireofBlood said:
i never said it is.
:razz: so think of me what you want, pclife is hard i know :grin:

reported for being a ****tard and a spammer.
wow he just got all merlkir on your ass :grin:
well i don't think you can compare TLD with Ak Ela 'cause when i saw it right, Ak Ela is about the movie and TLD about the book.
and except for the story, these two are somethin completely different. but TLD looks rly promising. some new screenies would be cool :mrgreen:

Well, their not really that different. Really, their main difference is on armors, whose argument is based almost solely on the fact that Tolkein didn't mention Plate mail, and so the movie adaption is wrong, and now their recreating it so it is 'right'. By making up the designs of the armor. >.>

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Well, their not really that different. Really, their main difference is on armors, whose argument is based almost solely on the fact that Tolkein didn't mention Plate mail, and so the movie adaption is wrong, and now their recreating it so it is 'right'. By making up the designs of the armor. >.>

Please, don't be a retard. I could spend half an hour explaining how your "argument" is completely ridiculous, but I don't feel like it.

You're an idiot.

First difference might be that el aka is native with LOTR armours and names. TLD is a total conversion, meaning game play is nothing like native. But who cares about any of that, WE WANT PLATE DAMN IT!  :roll:

You haven't even played the upcoming TLD, so it's really not wise to compare the two mods at this point and make so steep conclusions.

Besides, I don't wan't plate armor and what makes this mod good is that it doesn't over-fantasify the LOTR as the movies did. They're horrible IMO.

Well please, elaborate. Where do you get your designs from, if not your imagination?

What you implied, rather bluntly if I may say so, was that we're hypocrites. That we look down on plate armour while pulling designs out of our asses that are just as plausible as plate is.
It takes a great deal of ignorance to come to such a conclusion. I guess you're not a huge LOTR fan, maybe you don't care about the books and you liked the movies. You might see us as tight assed purists blinded by the delusion of their own importance and uniqueness.

What are the facts?
1) nowhere does Tolkien mention plate armour (not plate mail as you call it. Educate yourself! Mail = maille = armour made of interlocking rings). He mentions a vambrace  once. Plate theory supporters use that very often as a proof, because in hisotry vambraces were often parts of a more complex system of arm armour. But many examples of mail and other kinds of armour combined with vambraces can be found as well.
2) elves and dwarves - the most developed cultures in MiddleEarth use mail. Exclusively. It's almost strange that very few other kinds of amour are mentioned, but it is so. There are some mentions of fish-like scale armours for elves, Haradrim wear corselets of overlapping brazen plates. Which is often misinterpreted as plate armour, but it's quite obvious from the description that it's some kind of lamellar. If someone invented plate, these cultures would've used it. Gondorian elite troops are described wearing mail. Again, if plate existed, they would've worn it.
3) we don't deny having some bits of artistic licence. We try not to go directly against canon, but in a few places where we're given NO information at all we use our imagination. But it's nothing groundbreaking and clearly AGAINST canon as plate armour is. You can hardly blame TLD armour for being just as "made up" as plate would be.

My designs do come from my imagination, but they do not collide with the lore and in fact are inspired by what little information we have on these cultures.

And you made me explain this AGAIN. I hate you for that.

By the way, to clear the confusion, I was comparing The Last Days and the movie Lord of the Rings, not Ak Ala or whatever the hell it is. For example, you depiction of Osgiliath, which I might add, it quite shiny, is based more or less off the movies. Sorry for the apparent confusion.

Pagan said:
First difference might be that el aka is native with LOTR armours and names. TLD is a total conversion, meaning game play is nothing like native. But who cares about any of that, WE WANT PLATE DAMN IT!  :roll:

I don't actually want plate. Mail is quite often cooler than plate. :razz:

Osgiliath and some other samples of architecture were accepted by the rule of "don't change it if it's not broken". The architecture is beautiful, well designed and it doesn't go against canon. It made our job easier.
It might be a bit lazy and true purists wouldn't settle for such a solution. We're not true purists luckily :wink: Again, we (or me at least.) don't have anything against the movies, I love the designs. We just won't use plate armour for the reasons mentioned above.

Well... you wouldn't mind if I added in the armors myself... would you Merlkir?  :wink:

Sorry, but I find plate sexy. Very slimming, if you ask me.

On the subject of a synthesis between book and movie designs, this remains my favourite Gondor designs. Takes the best of the movies and adjusts to fit with the book rules.

img44851865bd644.jpg

Of course, this isn't what TLD is using... but some of our Gondor designs aren't totally removed from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom