Tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone got any tips for me to keep my cavalry Alive ? Been playing battle tester with normally 300 infantry 20 archers and 20 cavalry to each team and I just can’t keep them alive unless I leave them hidden in the back.

Bit of a worry for when single player comes around considering how expensive they will probably be (and rightly so)

In warband (and some of the battle tests I’ve done) I generally keep my cav in a safe flanking position until they can be used to charge in on an engaged enemy infantry group from behind. (For background I prefer Sturgia). I generally divide my army into 4 divisions: two infantry lines (either both heavy infantry, or front line heavy infantry and secondary line skirmishers (like berserkers). 1 archer line, and a cav unit directly under my control. Archers stand in front and fire a few volleys until enemy gets close and then they fall behind inf lines. Front line heavy inf operates under shield wall order (acting as anvil for later cav charge) and secondary line operates under “line” formation command. With the AI as it is currently, this behavior allows them to break formation slightly and skirmish out from behind the shield wall heavy inf. Currently does not work well with berserker type units as their weapons get caught up in shields. Hopefully that gets fixed. But regardless, once enemy inf is engaged with front line, I ride out on a flank, turn, and charge, ideally crushing enemy between cav and shield wall. The only other time I might use cav is to counter an enemy cav charge against one of my inf flanks. But that can lead to quite a few losses so I try to avoid that if possible.

In warband (and some of the battle tests I’ve done) I generally keep my cav in a safe flanking position until they can be used to charge in on an engaged enemy infantry group from behind. (For background I prefer Sturgia). I generally divide my army into 4 divisions: two infantry lines (either both heavy infantry, or front line heavy infantry and secondary line skirmishers (like berserkers). 1 archer line, and a cav unit directly under my control. Archers stand in front and fire a few volleys until enemy gets close and then they fall behind inf lines. Front line heavy inf operates under shield wall order (acting as anvil for later cav charge) and secondary line operates under “line” formation command. With the AI as it is currently, this behavior allows them to break formation slightly and skirmish out from behind the shield wall heavy inf. Currently does not work well with berserker type units as their weapons get caught up in shields. Hopefully that gets fixed. But regardless, once enemy inf is engaged with front line, I ride out on a flank, turn, and charge, ideally crushing enemy between cav and shield wall. The only other time I might use cav is to counter an enemy cav charge against one of my inf flanks. But that can lead to quite a few losses so I try to avoid that if possible.

Ok thanks never thought about that with the beserkers ,
I try the flanking once their inf is engaged and try take there archers out first but a couple of volleys from the archers a couple of cav are down , then before my cav have turned a few have been shot in the back,

Even when attacking the infantry when there engaged they just seen to turn with there spears

Ahh well ?

Yeah the AI definitely still has some issues... I've tried flattening a group of archers before, getting my cav to follow me, and it seems when I use that command my cav suddenly becomes entirely focused on following my trail and ignore the enemy shooting them in the face... If you've got the landscape for it, a better strategy to taking out enemy archers might be pulling your archers back after the initial volleys and setting them up on a hill slightly behind and to the right or left of your infantry lines. That way the enemy inf pathfinding will ignore your archers (mostly) and your archers can shoot over the chaos at the only targets (enemy archers) they can safely shoot at without hitting friendlies.

I play on realistic and you gotta remember you will suffer casualties no matter what
with cavalry when riding full speed at archers they get headshotted even if you got the best helment you dead lol

I send my cavalry in right before enemy infantry engages mine and how i do it is
F1 and place them behind the enemy archers which means
my horseman will go through enemy infantry disorientating them then forward ontowards the enemy archers by that time the enemy archers will be already firing at my infantry then my cavalry goes behind them i just f1+f3 and they charge the closes troops to them which is the enemy archers and i only lose 2 or 3 guys depending on how big the battles are

Back
Top Bottom