Tips for a Newbie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennit

Recruit
So, I've just come from another server I've failed on. It seems near impossible for me to win a 1v1 battle, I usually have to get the cheap kills and pick off the weaker, injured ones. The combat is 10x harder on Warband than it is in the original, I end up getting my ass handed to me every game, I mainly have trouble with:

1. Blocking- Even on 'Auto direction' my player 90% of the time blocks in the wrong direction, very frustrating.

2. Speed- The enemy seems to just whack and whack and whack, I can never get any hits in, Even if I have a short sword and they have some huge cumbersome axe, they're still somehow quicker than me? And no, I don't hold down the mouse button without letting go.

3. Hitboxes- I can never seem to hit them with arrows, and when I do, it takes 3+ to kill them, I've never been the best archer, but when the enemy is charging on a horse, directly parallel to me, with his/her groin taking up the whole of my screen, I still somehow miss?

And no, this isn't just an annoyed player ranting (Like 1/4 of it is) I genuinely need help, could you please share or direct me to some tips?

I'm currently checking http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,87133.msg2247070.html#msg2247070 link out, but would still like some more input.

Go into a duel server to work on your manual blocking, Get rid of autoblock. It sucks. When fighting someone, don't back-peddle, side step. After you learn to manual block learn to feint (Attack on direction then block and switch attack directions) Until you learn manual blocking use a shield.

1.  autoblock is off on most servers, which forces you on manual-  which is probably why your autoblock doesnt work. as above post said, a duel server is the best place to practice block.

2. there are lots of reasons why your opponent might hit first,  contrary to popular belief the speed factor of weapons doesnt make a gigantic diference in combat, the only real pro to fast weapons (imo) is how hard they are to block.  basicaly, if they have started their attack- your not gonna interupt it.
there are two parts of an attack,  the 'chamber' and the 'strike'    a chamber is when you ready your attack,  the strike is the attack itself.  you 'might' be able to hit first if you strike with a fast weapon just as you see a slow weapon start its chamber,  but not as it begins its attack.  your best bet is just to block or dodge that attack then hit back.

3. thats a matter of practice im afraid,  practice leading your shots (take into account arrow travel distance and drop).

That post you look at IS good, but its a bit content heavy and can drown you in info without really telling you what to do with it,  practice is the best way to learn.
how usefull this will be to you or not i dont know-  but heres a couple of tutorials I wrote up :

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,100322.msg2509742.html#msg2509742  - Infantry combat  (bits of-  mainly 1v1 fighting)

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,94244.msg2437506.html#msg2437506  - Mounted swordsmanship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom