Time Travelling Horse Riding Longbowmen, Sphincterism, Dispelling Myth, Expertise, Turkeytism.

Users who are viewing this thread

wolfson

Recruit
My cousin Vinny Billabob was a medieval horse riding longbowman freely able to travel back and forward in time to answer any questions i may have after accidentally discovering a rip in the fabric of space time also connected to a wormhole with time travelling properties, the only side effect being slight sphincter troubles.

Does that make him an expert on the Period?

Replies by Turkeys will no doubt happen. [thread unfollowed.]

Last edited:
2) Secondly while it was most commonplace to use a Longbow on foot this was because Longbow armed cheaply mass produced troops drawn from the lower classes would not have horses.
Mischa Prestwich's The Three Edwards: War and State in England, 1272-1377:
It was obviously unsatisfactory that they should be reduced, as at Falkirk, to hurling stones found lying on the ground in the absence of sufficient quantities of proper ammunition. What needed to be solved was the problem of mobility, and this was done early in Edward III’s reign. The archer was mounted so that he could ride with the army and dismount to fight.

Mounted archers first appear in the records in 1334, but they were almost certainly used in the previous year. The lightly-armed hobelars provide some precedent for them, although they had fought from horseback. Mounted archers were paid 6d or 4d a day: at least double the rate of an ordinary infantryman. With their mobility, they could be integrated into the retinues provided by the magnates – an important step in the co-ordination of the army. It now became possible to adopt far more systematic battle tactics. At Falkirk in 1298 the infantry had been brought up quite separately from the cavalry, to attack the enemy schiltrons when the mounted charge failed. Now a properly combined force could be organized, with the archers providing the offensive fire-power and the men-at-arms the muscle for hand-to-hand conflict. By the 1330s a standard battle formation had been developed, with each battalion of dismounted men-at-arms flanked by wings of archers.
English longbowmen in those famous battles we all know had horses. They rode them all the time. They just didn't fight from them.

edit:
They also weren't cheap (see above regarding their pay) and they weren't "mass produced troops."

Last edited:
1) Firstly I did a Degree in Medieval & Classical History with a Minor in Latin so that makes me an expert. If you havent done a degree in this subject your not.

No it doesn't. I also have a degree in history with emphasis on the medieval period in North Western Europe. It does not make me an expert.

* There are more credible sources for information than Prestwich. Many people have published on the Period but they are not seriously recognised by practising Historians. There's a strict list of who is seen as published credibly by the world wide fraternity.
Who are they?

..No it doesn't. I also have a degree in history with emphasis on the medieval period in North Western Europe. It does not make me an expert..

LOL Do you want to rewrite this? Youve nullified your own argument. I DONT HAVE a Degree in HISTORY with an EMPHASIS on the Medieval Period. I HAVE a Degree in MEDIEVAL HISTORY on the MEDIEVAL PERIOD with a MINOR EMPHASIS on the CLASSICAL PERIOD and another MINOR EMPHASIS in LATIN specifically MEDIEVAL LATIN so I could read and handle documents from the Bodleian in the ORIGINAL.

If I had wanted to do a GENERAL HISTORY DEGREE like yourself I would have gone to a University offering GENERAL History DEGREES. And you are an expert lad in GENERAL HISTORY. Unless your degree was from the University of Worthless? Thats what degree means. A degree of expertise above basic. BLESS YA lol, you didnt quite think through all that fella.

Regardless...

You guys debate between all you like. I didnt write my post because i seek validation or need to debate facts. My job is to present them with my considerable expertise.

Have a good one :smile:

So aside from not being an expert you are also apparently completely clueless about University degrees. What a pathetic throwing of toys out of the pram. Grow up.

The weird thing is, this has all been discussed previously, and I've argued on the side of Longbows being used by mounted English soldiers in the Hundred Years War. Perhaps you should have sought out those threads before coming in here with your 'LOOK AT ME I'M AN EXPERT!!' nonsense. I'd be interested to hear what your Alma mater was (it certainly wasn't the charm school) because by god they are sure producing some self-important graduates.

Last edited:
I'd like to think that someone who has done enough study to claim to be an expert, should also be good enough to not make a your/you're mistake when they make their claim to expertise.

Either this is one big troll, or the expert might need to go back and proof read. Before they move onto their PHD to become an actual expert. Certainly, I have a couple of degrees, and all it establishes about my expertise is that I am capable of reading a few books and writing a few passable essays. Not a lot more.

TBH, I don't really care about longbows or whether they could be fired from the treetops or while sitting at a Sunday luncheon with a cup of tea and a salmon sandwich.

I wonder what the context of this niche internet argument was?

Last edited:
I'd like to think that someone who has done enough study to claim to be an expert, should also be good enough to not make a your/you're mistake when they make their claim to expertise.
Was just about to say exactly this
Tip of the hat to you

Show me a video of someone accurately using an English longbow whilst mounted in motion and I'll believe you
Not that it matters because it'd be OP in-game
You sound like a Welsh nationalist who's just mad that no one knows what 'Wales' is

Either this is one big troll, or the expert might need to go back and proof read. Before they move onto their PHD to become an actual expert. Certainly, I have a couple of degrees, and all it establishes about my expertise is that I am capable of reading a few books and writing a few passable essays. Not a lot more.

TBH, I don't really care about longbows or whether they could be fired from the treetops or while sitting at a Sunday luncheon with a cup of tea and a salmon sandwich.

I wonder what the context of this niche internet argument was?

Well that is the difference between displaying authoritarian behaviour versus being an actual authority. One stands on a pedestal made of cartboard and can therefore be kicked over very easily (behaviour OP has shown) while the other one stands on a pedestal made of concrete.

The use of an English-Welsh war longbow on horseback is plausible. Here Mr. Loades is a vivid example.

That said, the performance on horseback can in no way be equated with the performance on foot simply because of a question of biomechanics. The force when tensioning the bow is distributed through the shoulder, hips and legs when shooting on foot is very different (superior) from when shooting on horseback (inferior).

Therefore its use is exotic.

That said, there is a perk in the game called "Horse Master" which enables you to use any type of bow on horseback, including longbows.

---
I have a master degree pedigree in breeding and training of racing parrots and I don't go around announcing it with loud and shouting verbiage... peasants!.... :iamamoron: :lol:

I have a master degree pedigree in breeding and training of racing parrots and I don't go around announcing it with loud and shouting verbiage... peasants!.... :iamamoron: :lol:
Pff, come back to me once you have a Degree in Medieval & Classical History with a Minor in Latin. NEXT!

EDIT: Im sorry, you have a masters degree in the breeding and training of racing parrots?
EDIT2: I dont know if I should emphasize the Racing or the Parrots.

Secondly while it was most commonplace to use a Longbow on foot this was because Longbow armed cheaply mass produced troops drawn from the lower classes would not have horses.
A Longbow could be fired perfectly well from the Western Warhorse of the Period,
nobles would often Hunt prey on Horseback while wielding a Longbow
Maybe the perk to use Longbows from horseback should be changed from Bow to the riding skill as it sound more dependent on riding skill then just bow training . In the early perk rendition it there was perk available in both skills.

IDC if this is a joke: I'm officially declaring a Masters in Racing Parrot Husbandry to be Terco canon.

The use of an English-Welsh war longbow on horseback is plausible. Here Mr. Loades is a vivid example.

That said, the performance on horseback can in no way be equated with the performance on foot simply because of a question of biomechanics. The force when tensioning the bow is distributed through the shoulder, hips and legs when shooting on foot is very different (superior) from when shooting on horseback (inferior).

Therefore its use is exotic.

That said, there is a perk in the game called "Horse Master" which enables you to use any type of bow on horseback, including longbows.

---

A fine post. ⭐

Back
Top Bottom