Time Travel/Stopping/Slowing films

Users who are viewing this thread

As a person burdened with bad habits of procrastination I've always loved films and books about time travel, time stopping, time slowing. I've watched/read a few of them and I'm really disappointed. Is it only me that would be a really bad person with this kind of ability? Every character seems so much more polite than I would be. Do you know any good films (preferably dark, describing evil characters) about time stopping, slowing or time travel?
Don't open spoilers if you don't want to know what films have time travel twist.

Film:
Back to the Future (+2 sequels)
Butterfly Effect (+2 sequels)
Click
Clockstoppers
Deja Vu*
Groundhog Day
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
The Fountain
The Lake House
The Matrix (+2 sequels)
Primer
Suspension
Terminator (+2 sequels)
Timecop
The Time Machine
The Time Traveler's Wife
Timeline*
Les Visiteurs

TV:
Bernard's Watch
Heroes
Out Of This World

Books:
The Time Machine
Time Machine (series of novels-games)
The Time Traveler's Wife

* - I haven't watched it yet.
bold - I recommend

I don't think I've seen Deja Vu. LOL at
Planet of the Apes
spoiler :lol: How can you know when to open a spoiler if you don't know what film it's about  :lol:

The Lake House (film)
and The Fountain (film), which isn't entirely obvious.

PS. The Butterfly effect has 2 sequels I believe. Editeditedits.

Editedit TERMINATOR 1+2+3 (film)????????????!
and Terminator spin off, The Sarah Connor Chronicles (series).
also Roswell (series) has time-travel in it somewhere.

...edit. Does the Matrix count.

Oh yeah I've seen it them both. Very nice films. I forgot about Terminator  :shock: and I don't like Roswell. Matrix does count.

I didn't put sequels. There are 3 Butterfly Effects, 6 Planets of Apes and 3 Backs to the Future.

I submit:

Primer (2004)

It's a low-budget film, but then again it's perfectly fine given the story.  Having seen most of the films listed here, I would say it's easily one of the best films discussing the possibility/implications of time travel.

Not to mention, the science in the film goes way over the head of most viewers (including myself and everyone I watched it with).  You do get the story if you pay attention.  What I like about it is that unlike most other films, including the ones here, it makes no attempt to dumb down the material for the audience - if you don't understand it, oh well.  It really gives the feel that you're watching actual scientific minds, not actors pretending to be scientists.     

It's not for everyone, but it's a great film if you're up for it.

Back
Top Bottom