Tight budget with 200 troops & 1 castle

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm getting financially squeezed now my personal army is 200+ of quality troops. - about $2,000 per day cost. I only have one castle with 2 villages, which don't make much income. To make up the difference, I have 6 caravans and 5 businesses which barely make a profit. As soon as one caravan is taken out by crims, I go negative $1,000 at least.

This is not acceptable, 200 troops isn't that large yet 6 caravans and 5 businesses cannot support them ??????

I think I'm using version 1.41 ? Not the latest patch.

Sell Your workshops and open just few smithies (Marunath, Epicotrea, Saneopa, Varnovapol). 1-2 caravans will be enough then to make profits if Your castle is upgraded.

or just sell all of that and go smithing, craft some javs or 2h swords and then start looking for someone who will pay 50-100k for each and you dont need any passive incomes :smile:

I ran into this a few times and sort of resolved to stay within my budget by not upgrading my troops every time an upgrade is available. I keep my troops to t3 and can still maintain a large army with much lower cost than if they were t4 or t5 and they seem to be only slightly less effective.

To support an army that size with high tier troops, you'll need more than one castle.

I tend to stick mostly with smithies and breweries for my workshops and don't bother with caravans anymore. I get most of cash from battles selling loot. I also run the Enhanced Tournaments mod which helps as you can get some awesome tourney prizes.

200 troops of what quality? Unless you are upgrading just everything you have to t5, 6, 200 is manageable with the current economy.

Upgrading every soldier always to max capacity is an overkill.

I'm getting financially squeezed now my personal army is 200+ of quality troops. - about $2,000 per day cost. I only have one castle with 2 villages, which don't make much income. To make up the difference, I have 6 caravans and 5 businesses which barely make a profit. As soon as one caravan is taken out by crims, I go negative $1,000 at least.

This is not acceptable, 200 troops isn't that large yet 6 caravans and 5 businesses cannot support them ??????

Yes I have a post in the bugs area where I have been posting about the economy. It is very detailed and I actually have a screenshot of everything I have since it's hard to sell right now, and that effects caravans and workshops, It is terrible right now for passive income and I still have no dev to acknowledge my post, just 100 days of trading and had to stop buying grain at 9 or less since I had 10,000 of it, its almost been a week since patch I was hoping they would get to it soon since it effect gameplay quite a bit, but they are taking their time with this one

I will give a hint to 3 of the best workshops in the game,
Khuzuit terriotry, Odkah and Baltakand, wool weavery, can make 220-300 a day. If one kingdom controls Epicrotea and the castle next to it a smithy there can get 175-250 a day. So far the 3 best Ive found, I know might not be ideal for all with wars going on but hopefully this helps out some.

I really avoid castles they just rarely make any worthwhile cash. Unless the prosperity is decent and it's well away from the frontier I find then to be not worth the hassle.
Caravan income seems unreliable at the moment. I've ever had more than 2 active. Partly because I want to be sure the companion taking charge has a good skill set to deal with attacks (scout/tactics/medic).

Smiths and brewers are both good earners. Use mods to take the edge off you financial burden. Tournament mods work well as previously mentioned. The simplest allows you lift the betting cap but you need to be able to bet 20 to 25k a round to make 10k profit before too long.

Getting the balance right in the garrison is always tricky. But if you have a reasonable malitia presence perhaps you can cut that back? Due to garrison troops consuming food to go for a smaller higher tier garrison in settlements.

In the short term I'd look at tournament mods though to ease the finances.

Part of this is economy and part of it is perks. Once they have the steward perk working that reduces tier 4,5,6 cost, it will make a big difference.

I agree though. The economy forces you to grind enemy armies or smith.

It needs balanced.

I'd love to have more than one castle ... but I'm a small fish in big pond with 3 large sharks (who own everything). I get on average = 120 - 180 per business (potter @ Pen Carroc, Wool @ Baikand, Wool @ Poros, Olives @ Poros, Olives @ Jaculan)

I'm waiting for an opportunity but for time being, trying to be profitable while small.

I really avoid castles they just rarely make any worthwhile cash. Unless the prosperity is decent and it's well away from the frontier I find then to be not worth the hassle.

Agree, for me it doesn't make sense that the castle+village income can't pay even the wages of a medium sized garrison. It is a no sense in historical neither in game play feature.

Part of this is economy and part of it is perks. Once they have the steward perk working that reduces tier 4,5,6 cost, it will make a big difference.

I agree though. The economy forces you to grind enemy armies or smith.

It needs balanced.

If you can manage 200+ army of t5, t6 soldiers with just one holding, THAT'S an imbalance more than anything, not the other way around.

Considering that not even major lords that have 3-4 holdings maintain a standing army of that size or caliber, suggesting that the game needs to pander to the player to be able to use a party more than 2-3 times stronger than any lord's with just one fief is just plain wrong.

Economy is somewhat broken.

However, owning a castle is less desirable than owning a town. A town can grow a very high prosperity and you can own workshops there. If prosperity is high enough, a single town can support your own party of approx 200 quality troops AND a similar garrison and STILL earn a profit. More villages add more prosperity. Also any town that's not at direct frontline is usually not attacked or raided (at least in my playthrough) so it'll grow prosperity forever (you may wanna buff villages 'though.

Castles do not offer many services and do serve as "defense lines" in the game. Well, they should - lords tend to bypass them and go for towns instead. And since they offer so little income it's next to impossible to set up a proper defense garrison. Seriously: owning a castle is a burden, not a boon. Moneymakers are towns, preferable one far away from frontlines.
This ALSO explains why some lords simply can't field massive parties on their own or keep using low quality troops: they simply can't get better or more for that few bucks they have. Also lords do NOT buy workshops. In fact, the only reason why the player's swimming in denars sooner or later is the freedom s/he has forming his/her own economical basis. No lord can do that (yet).

Fetch some mods: Bannerlord Tweaks, Community Patch etc from nexusmods.com to get the most out of your gameplay. That also fixes some issues with keeping your towns / castles fed. Diplomacy Fixes mod allows you to claim fiefs you conquered with your own army.

Last edited:
additional - I replaced weak Caravan troops with my quality troops, this was a win-win situation. Caravans now survive criminal attacks AND My army's costs have substantially reduced, meaning I'm now making profits again (+$1,000)

I have:
5 workshops
- 3 Tanners in Ocs Hall, Jaculan and Tyal
- 1 Brewer in Tyal
- 1 Wool Weaver in Tyal (Because I own Tyal, so I tought, if I own it, better own it for good)

0 caravans

4 parties including my own that costs around 1500-2000 in war times, in peace times I reduce it to 1000-, I also have the Sergeants Respect perk that reduces 15% of tier 4-5-6 troops wages.
The other 3 parties are constantly being assaulted by my enemies so they are pretty much composed by recruits

And 4 garrisons
- Vladiv Castle (~50 troops) (taxes 100d)
- Tyal (~150 troops) (taxes 1000d)
- Dinar Castle (~100 troops) (taxes 200d)
- Kaysar Castle (~150 troops) (taxes 200d)
My garrisons are made of some tier 3 troops and the rest is tier 2 (archers mostly)

I currently have 650k and stil making +4000-5000 a day.

Economy needs a bit of work i am sure they know as they are messing with it all the time i have mercs day 600 with an army size 100 plus yet they have not been at war in ages so how does that work.Also Lords with no castles and such with mass army so is broken at moment and there recovery time is silly.Kill a vlandian in Sturgia let him go get to other end of Sturgia and he is back with a Army and cav like yea with all the horse Vlandia do not have.

dude you have 2000+ expense, lets say 3k a day
6 caravan and 5 shops should cover most of that. and you cannot forget that every time a caravan stops at a town it makes a barter and earns money not shown in your daily cash flow. my caravans usually made 300-1000 profit per day and 1500 per barter which happens like 4-5 times a week.
assuming you are making minimum money from shops (150/day avg) and caravans (200/day avg) that's still at least 1500-2000 a day. on top of that you make tax from the castle and villages and barter from caravans. you should have about 3-5k income per day realistically. with minimal trading and fighting, you should stay afloat indefinitely.

if you wanna cheese just make javelins honestly, 1 wood + 1 iron + 1 charcoal + smithing stamina = 30-60k which should be enough to last you 10-20 days. how easy is that lol. every 10 days make a javelin.

Agreed, so many ways to get filthy reach. It is still too easy. They should nerf smithing

Two days ago ive started once again and at the moment have around 700k without any castles/towns. Just have only one „huge” party of 9-10 man. And now the game is getting started :smile:

Agreed, so many ways to get filthy reach. It is still too easy. They should nerf smithing

Two days ago ive started once again and at the moment have around 700k without any castles/towns. Just have only one „huge” party of 9-10 man. And now the game is getting started :smile:

I don't mind the "filthy rich" part. However you can't buy anything for all that money ... so we need some sort of money sink.

Could you do a detailed breakdown of how much each of your workshops is netting you? Maybe there are some poorly performing ones that could be optimized. I have a very similar setup and you should be making around 3k a day in passive profit.

Back
Top Bottom