Thrusting Spear -> Charging horse = joke?

Users who are viewing this thread

eyrawn

Recruit
Thrusting a spear or other weapon into a charging horse to take the horse down ain't what it used to be. Cavalry has no weak points and can just charge in without giving a single thought to who they charge. Horses are way too strong against thrusting weapons. Agree?

This also counts for when hitting the rider when he comes charging. The damage multiplier is severely off and its like it doesn't even matter if it charges or not.

Last edited:
It's much harder to get a horse to rear than it was in Warband. I wish I had screenshots, but with a spear equipped, I rountinely deliver 50+ damage to horses charging head-on -and it literally says "Delivered 50 damage to horse", only for the horse to not stop/rear up and run me over. I don't know, 50 damage seems like quite a lot to not get a horse rear. It might be that the damage threshold for horse rears is set too high?

It's much harder to get a horse to rear than it was in Warband. I wish I had screenshots, but with a spear equipped, I rountinely deliver 50+ damage to horses charging head-on -and it literally says "Delivered 50 damage to horse", only for the horse to not stop/rear up and run me over. I don't know, 50 damage seems like quite a lot to not get a horse rear. It might be that the damage threshold for horse rears is set too high?
It must hit the head from straight on to rear, no more rearing from the side

The rearing angle was reduced some versions ago in the beta, so rearing a horse is more difficult, and as far as I know there is also a rearing damage threshold you need to go above of. The rearing angle definitely needs to be increased.

Aside from that, one of the issues with cavalry at the moment is that while you might deal good damage to horses when they charge at high speed due to the speed bonus, when they're close to you and not going very fast you will deal an absolutely negligible amount of damage compared to their total health pool, even with well placed hits. The difference between horse hp and speed bonus damage should be re-calibrated, in my opinion. I'll hopefully make a thread about it once we have a new, proper feedback board.

While in point-blank the spear either stops the horse or kills it, at any speed, the speed bonus from cav is too high imo. However, if you manage to jump and swing the rider, it's way easier to kill him.

Well, the horses have immense armor and takes forever to kill. If i shove my spear up a horses ass it doesnt die until like 10 swings. not realistic at all..

Horse rearing now means the possibility of landing an unblockable hit on the rider.

Cavalry definitely doesn't need a further nerf in multiplayer, just some people don't know how to counter them. TDM and siege to a lesser extent are kind of bad benchmarks because theyre focused on racking up kills in mass confusion.

edit: If you want one hit kills on riders use thrown weapons.

The current problem with cav I see happens in TDM, and it's because the map that's being played now, the port town that has huge open areas. In the Nord Town map played in the last days of beta it wasn't quite a pain and countering was easy.

Now, I think that you can't block a couched spear from hroses, which you could in Warband and NW, and that's a mistake if you ask me.

Perhaps this is mainly an issue with the TDM gamemode as cav is more numerous and spawns everywhere, so you are constantly getting run over, couch lanced leading to frustration. But in skirmish I did not find cav too annoying. The light cav is easy enough to kill actually, but heavy cav may need a bit of a nerf to HP or reduce handling or speed slightly.

The rear up hitbox should be bigger, not as big as in warband though.

I Agree.

when they're close to you and not going very fast you will deal an absolutely negligible amount of damage compared to their total health pool, even with well placed hits.

Agree. To kill an infantry with a spear all I do is stay still close to him and hit him while he tries to kill my horse but bounces too much or deal no damage.

The rearing angle was reduced some versions ago in the beta, so rearing a horse is more difficult, and as far as I know there is also a rearing damage threshold you need to go above of. The rearing angle definitely needs to be increased.

Aside from that, one of the issues with cavalry at the moment is that while you might deal good damage to horses when they charge at high speed due to the speed bonus, when they're close to you and not going very fast you will deal an absolutely negligible amount of damage compared to their total health pool, even with well placed hits. The difference between horse hp and speed bonus damage should be re-calibrated, in my opinion. I'll hopefully make a thread about it once we have a new, proper feedback board.
+1000, right now is much more efficient to kill horses using throwing weapons than with spears

Spear should rear a horse regardless of its damage if the horse is going at a certain speed.

By making the hitbox very small and also making spears bounce from armoured horses, it's made it very easy to abuse cav against spear inf. The speed of the initial stab is also very counter-intuitive, it looks like the attacker is holding their attack but it's already active, causing you to die before you can reasonably react.

This has been an issue with all polearms, spearman and cav, for months now.

Back
Top Bottom