three basic modding questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Javolenus

Recruit
Hi There,

I'm new to M&B and would like to make some simple changes. I've done some basic modding to other games but I'm not a 'mod god' so need some help. I would like to ask 3 specific questions:

1. Names of Heroes: I'd like to change these. I already worked out how to change the names in troops.txt but how do you change names in the ingame dialogue? I want the heroes to refer to each other by the new names but don't know how to do this.

2. Plate armour: I'd like to get rid of plate armour in order to give the game a Dark Ages feel. I'd like to edit the game so that no troops have late medieval armour. But how to do this?

3. Music: I'd liie to add my own music. I tried already, using a very clear tutorial by Archonsod, but without success. I'm guessing that I must have done something wrong. I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with editing music.txt? This file contains lots of numerical values and I do not know what they mean. I simply want to indicate which mp3 files to play on the strat map, and which to play during battles.

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Javolenus said:
Hi There,

I'm new to M&B and would like to make some simple changes. I've done some basic modding to other games but I'm not a 'mod god' so need some help. I would like to ask 3 specific questions:

1. Names of Heroes: I'd like to change these. I already worked out how to change the names in troops.txt but how do you change names in the ingame dialogue? I want the heroes to refer to each other by the new names but don't know how to do this.

2. Plate armour: I'd like to get rid of plate armour in order to give the game a Dark Ages feel. I'd like to edit the game so that no troops have late medieval armour. But how to do this?

3. Music: I'd liie to add my own music. I tried already, using a very clear tutorial by Archonsod, but without success. I'm guessing that I must have done something wrong. I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with editing music.txt? This file contains lots of numerical values and I do not know what they mean. I simply want to indicate which mp3 files to play on the strat map, and which to play during battles.

Many thanks in advance for replies.
1. Go into module_strings.py, and Ctrl+F (quickfind) then type in Nizar, for example, to locate the companion dialogues. Scroll around and change what you like.

2. Go into module_troops.py, and Ctrl+F "itm_plate_armor" and remove it wherever it appears. Then go into module_items.py, Ctrl+F "plate_armor", and either remove the "itp_merchandise" flag or put a "#" beside the item's line(s).

3. Well, on this, I have no clue. If Arch's guide didn't work, I don't know what to suggest.

Many thanks indeed for this speedy response - I really appreciate it. I'll follow your instructions. But can I just ask: could I not just make some changes to the Native txt files or do I have to edit the Python files? I'm completely new to M&B modding so am not sure about this. If I edit the Python files, what do I have to do to get the changes to show up ingame? Apologies for basic questions! I guess I'll check out this forum and see if I can work things out myself - though any guidance appreciated.

As for the music mod, I think I must have goofed somewhere, as the tutorial is very clear. I'll try again. (I noticed that the 'native' music files are ogg format - should I use that too? I just converted Windows media files to mp3.)

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

FYI - the module_music.py file changed quite a bit between 0.960 and 1.x, so its possible those tutorials are no longer accurate.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get music working in my mod.  MP3 files should work tho.

Hello.
I am new to Mount and Blade and not an expert in modding either. I was wondering how could i change the city/castles/villages names?
I have Mount and Blade V0.7.3.

Thank you

Fallen_Ro said:
Hello.
I am new to Mount and Blade and not an expert in modding either. I was wondering how could i change the city/castles/villages names?
I have Mount and Blade V0.7.3.

Thank you
city/caste/village names are stored in the parties.txt file so you could edit this directly if you wanted or modify the module_parties.py file if you are using the module system.  make sure to make a backup of your file before changing it, and I think you need to start a new game to see any changes.

People, the module system for v1.01 is out. Get it. Read it. Python is probably one of the easiest language to read. No one is expecting you to become a l33t Python h4x0r. Editing the txt files directly is folly at best.

Thanks. I found it right after i posted the question :grin:

BTW, what's with the python talk here? I don't see any .py files in my version of the game. Are the newer versions made in python?

Fallen_Ro said:
Thanks. I found it right after i posted the question :grin:

BTW, what's with the python talk here? I don't see any .py files in my version of the game. Are the newer versions made in python?
I think the actual game files are compiled from python scripts. (Expect engine and stuff, I think).
When you item things with modulesystem, you edit some .py files containing scripts.

Fujiwara said:
People, the module system for v1.01 is out. Get it. Read it. Python is probably one of the easiest language to read. No one is expecting you to become a l33t Python h4x0r. Editing the txt files directly is folly at best.

Hi Fujiwara,

Many thanks for this advice. I'm completely new to M&B as well as editing Python files. I downloaded the module system for v1.01 but could not see any instructions as to how to edit the files. I also downloaded your Python editor, which looks great, but again, I saw no instructions on how to use it. I'm keen to learn how to mod M&B correctly and efficiently, but need some basic (very basic!) advice on how to take the first steps. Your Python editing tool looks impressive - should I start here? If you could tell me where to find the instructions, I'd be happy to make a start. Again, many thanks and apologies for noobie-type questions!

Javolenus said:
Fujiwara said:

Hi Fujiwara,

Many thanks for this advice. I'm completely new to M&B as well as editing Python files. I downloaded the module system for v1.01 but could not see any instructions as to how to edit the files. I also downloaded your Python editor, which looks great, but again, I saw no instructions on how to use it. I'm keen to learn how to mod M&B correctly and efficiently, but need some basic (very basic!) advice on how to take the first steps. Your Python editing tool looks impressive - should I start here? If you could tell me where to find the instructions, I'd be happy to make a start. Again, many thanks and apologies for noobie-type questions!
Go to the modding link in my sig, and scroll down until you find a link underneath the title: "Module system documentation". Read through there, and you should be able to easily grasp the concept on editing python files.

Ruthven said:
Javolenus said:
Fujiwara said:

Hi Fujiwara,

Go to the modding link in my sig, and scroll down until you find a link underneath the title: "Module system documentation". Read through there, and you should be able to easily grasp the concept on editing python files.

Hi Ruthven,

Many thanks for taking the time to answer this query. I've now successfully located the relevant tutorials and shall study them before jumping in and changing stuff. Once again, many thanks for your time - much appreciated.

I would DL Notepad++, rather try and use IDLE. It loads faster and the text editing features are VASTLY superior.

Javolenus said:

I've skimmed through this topic and couldn't see anyone answering this.. It's quite easy so i'm sorry if i'm stating the obvious, but here i go:

1. Download module system!

2. Follow the instructions on how to get it to work, and right-click the "module_music.py".

3. Select "edit with IDLE" (or notepad..)

4. The spoiler beneath contains how the bottom of the file looks unedited:
  ("victorious_swadian", "victorious_swadian.ogg", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
  ("victorious_vaegir", "victorious_vaegir.ogg", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
  ("victorious_vaegir_2", "victorious_vaegir_2.ogg", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
]

Copy the second last line, and paste it right beneath, so it looks like the spoiler below..
  ("victorious_swadian", "victorious_swadian.ogg", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
  ("victorious_vaegir", "victorious_vaegir.ogg", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
  ("victorious_vaegir_2", "victorious_vaegir_2.ogg", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
]

5. Change the two names in the second line (red) to the name of your track.. Example below using "ramund_hin_unge". (remember to edit the type of file if needed {original= ".ogg" and mine's ".wma"})

("ramund_hin_unge", "ramund_hin_unge.wma", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
]

6. Add "mtf_module_track" to the description. (this is to tell the file to read from the module folder)..

("ramund_hin_unge", "ramund_hin_unge.wma", mtf_module_track|mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
]

7.  Edit/add/replace the description so that the track is played when you want it to play.. Here i have an example to make it play at the very start of Mount&Blade..

("ramund_hin_unge", "ramund_hin_unge.wma", mtf_module_track|mtf_sit_main_title|mtf_start_immediately, 0),
note that if you want it to play at the start of MnB, you need to put an "#" before the original title song..
(which looks like:smile:
  ("mount_and_blade_title_screen", "mount_and_blade_title_screen.ogg", mtf_sit_main_title|mtf_start_immediately, 0),

(change it to:smile:
#  ("mount_and_blade_title_screen", "mount_and_blade_title_screen.ogg", mtf_sit_main_title|mtf_start_immediately, 0),

8. You can mess around with the MS to play the track when you want it to play by editing the description, or the "mtf's". Just look at how the other tracks are arranged..

9. Add the file of the song to Mount&Blade/Modules/(your mod)/Music

10. Open Mount&Blade and you'll hear the changes..

Thymo

PS: Sry about the tediousness of the post, wanted to make it detailed to impress!  :mrgreen:

Thymo said:
Javolenus said:

I've skimmed through this topic and couldn't see anyone answering this.. It's quite easy so i'm sorry if i'm stating the obvious, but here i go:

1. Download module system!

2. Follow the instructions on how to get it to work, and right-click the "module_music.py".

3. Select "edit with IDLE" (or anything you'd prefer over that {NOT notepad..})

4. The spoiler beneath contains how the bottom of the file looks unedited:
]

Copy the second last line, and paste it right beneath, so it looks like the spoiler below..
]

5. Change the two names in the second line (red) to the name of your track.. Example below using "ramund_hin_unge". (remember to edit the type of file if needed {original= ".ogg" and mine's ".wma"})

("ramund_hin_unge", "ramund_hin_unge.wma", mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
]

6. Add "mtf_module_track" to the description. (this is to tell the file to read from the module folder)..

("ramund_hin_unge", "ramund_hin_unge.wma", mtf_module_track|mtf_persist_until_finished|mtf_culture_2|mtf_sit_victorious, 0),
]

7.  Edit/add/replace the description so that the track is played when you want it to play.. Here i have an example to make it play at the very start of Mount&Blade..

("ramund_hin_unge", "ramund_hin_unge.wma", mtf_sit_main_title|mtf_module_track|mtf_start_immediately, 0),
note that if you want it to play at the start of MnB, you need to put an "#" before the original title song..
(which looks like:smile:
  ("mount_and_blade_title_screen", "mount_and_blade_title_screen.ogg", mtf_sit_main_title|mtf_start_immediately, 0),

(change it to:smile:
#  ("mount_and_blade_title_screen", "mount_and_blade_title_screen.ogg", mtf_sit_main_title|mtf_start_immediately, 0),

8. You can mess around with the MS to play the track when you want it to play by editing the description, or the "mtf's". Just look at how the other tracks are arranged..

9. Add the file of the song to Mount&Blade/Modules/(you mod)/Music

10. Open Mount&Blade and you'll hear the changes..

Thymo

PS: Sry about the tediousness of the post, wanned to make it detailed to impress!  :mrgreen:

Hi Thymo,

That's absolutely fantastic - I'm really grateful. Gonna get to work now and get some good sounds into M&B. Thanks again for a brilliant reply and all the best. Very Helpful!

Jav.

Javolenus said:
Hi Thymo,

That's absolutely fantastic - I'm really grateful. Gonna get to work now and get some good sounds into M&B. Thanks again for a brilliant reply and all the best. Very Helpful!

Jav.

Yay! My first time doing something that might be useful to someone..  :cool:

GetAssista said:
Fujiwara said:
I would not DL Notepad++, rather than try and use IDLE. It loads faster and the text editing features are VASTLY superior.
Fujiwara, I wonder what one of those bolded two you meant and missed :smile:

My brain is faster than my fingers.  :grin:

Should read: I would DL NP++, rather than use IDLE.

Fujiwara said:
GetAssista said:
Fujiwara said:
I would not DL Notepad++, rather than try and use IDLE. It loads faster and the text editing features are VASTLY superior.
Fujiwara, I wonder what one of those bolded two you meant and missed :smile:

My brain is faster than my fingers.  :grin:

Should read: I would DL NP++, rather than use IDLE.

agreed on the NP++

Just by the way, I tried doing the thing to add music to the game as the title music, just as was said up there, but mine didn't work. Is this because the game doesn't accept mp3 files (as that's what I'm using) or should I just go back over it and recheck the code?

Back
Top Bottom