Thoughts on Multiplayer Patch video?

Users who are viewing this thread

I agree that would be better, maybe they could said something like:

"We have heard your concerns about the state of combat and have significantly reduced block delay/removed it..." etc.

I know they do not want speculation but I'm dying to know a bit more about the state of the changes. They probably still don't have a formalized change list which might be why they won't commit to saying if certain mechanics have been changed or removed.
I mean yeah but at least they released a video. Months of asking for communication at least they delivered on some level just way to late.

The Format: I like the changes to how they are approaching giving out information. The written devblogs were all words and no substance, dragging what could be conveyed in one or two sentences out into whole paragraphs/essays needlessly. This format gives some visual information and keeps the relevant information in short and clear pieces that convey exactly what information needs to be conveyed without wasting everyone's time. So that's nice.

All of the quality of life changes to singleplayer were things that I had a major problem with the last time I played, so that's nice.

As for multiplayer:

The Banner "editor" is extremely lackluster. While I understand this is probably just a first step as they test with systems, it is simply too barebones and basic for anything resembling a final design. I hope they improve customization, and the ability to make more creative and distinct banners, going forward, through a system that allows players to mix and match images and polygons at the very least, and a system that allows the upload of images at best. Right now everyone still looks essentially indistinguishable. But an acceptable first step, nonetheless.

Clan system looks fine. It doesn't need to be overly flashy or complex, so it's simple appearance isn't a problem. My only issue is that this has been a center of focus for the/some of the multiplayer dev team. There are so many other huge glaring problems that should be taken care of first. They need a better system of prioritization, but given the incompetence of management at TaleWorlds, it doesn't surprise me.

As for the combat changes: I will believe it when I see it. To date all combat and class system changes have been irrelevant, lackluster, not resolved the fundamental problems with the systems, and been doled out at the end of promises that it would make things better. And they didn't. I'm hoping that TaleWorlds has changed their tune and starting fixing the poorly designed combat, and the horrendous class system. But once again I will believe it when I see it. I've given them the benefit of the doubt in the past to extreme disappointment. So I'm holding out on any praise until I see effectual changes. In the video we still see infinite/zero cooldown couches from the gameplay footage, which unless it's just old footage, means this almost universally opposed mechanic is still in the ****ing game. If that is current footage, then clearly they're still not listening to whatever players they bring in to test combat changes, like they didn't listen to their closed beta testers. So I wouldn't be expecting much from the patch, personally. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

Siege changes: I mean, people were already pushing siege engines and breaking down walls. Whenever I played siege, I would run out and destroy the enemy siege engines at the start of every game. I feel like the idea of giving gold to people for doing things they should and already were doing is somewhat meaningless? I'm not inherently opposed to it, but I don't see the point.

I have to say, this is really not the amount of content that I expected after all this time, I mean really only a five minute video?

+ I like the new format

Banner system looks extremely lackluster, I would’ve been really happy if we could actually import our custom banner design

no real news about combat parameters other than the usual response that “ we are adjusting them”

Nothing about timeline of modding tools?
Nothing even vague about class changes?
I guess they are coming soon™

Yeah yeah very pretty Taleworlds, shamefully I cant even play this game properly because you still dont give SA a server, its getting quite frustrating at this point at least tell us that you wont give us one until release so I can finally stop playing this game entirely
(Not even a simple tdm)

Looks really promising. Really looking forward to the clan system and finally having the ability to organize matches in peace. Two new skirmish maps as well. The only thing left for me to be happy are a few new features relating to progression. Some new badges or something would be nice.

I liked the new video format and the changes shown. I'm hoping the clan servers doesn't rely on the match-making regions though or a lot of the new content will be obsolete for a large portion of players.

I wouldn't be so sure TW plans on expanding the banner editor later on. They already seem quite adamant for SP that the player's banner has to match their faction's color and disabled the ability to paste custom banners into the editor.

On the video: it's pretty interesting that TW is deciding to remain tight-lipped on the specifics of the combat parameter changes. They went in-depth with the clan system, something that effects a small but dedicated minority, but focused on explaining how they were going about conducting their tests with the community rather than tell us general changes despite that aspect being more important for players.

I can understand why TW wouldn't want to tell us, since it's unavoidable that some people would immediately start to criticize the changes whether they were actually good or bad, but it's such a contrast to the beta were they allowed players to discuss and even stream MP fairly early on compared to these tests in which they've tried to keep a muzzle on their testers, going so far as to delete test leaks on these forums. I think there is blame both on the developers and the community, but it's a shame the relationship between us has deteriorated to such a degree that they no longer feel comfortable being transparent.

New maps sound good. Stability improvements for siege sound good. Giving gold for using/destroying siege equipment on siege is nice for those players who spend the first few minutes of the game using that stuff to help their team.

As for the clan system, I'll have to wait and see how that works and what it can be used for. Seems like it will primarily just be for tournament play in its current state.

Combat changes, not enough information to say whether it's good or bad. It's nice that custom servers will be able to tweak these things once they are available though.

Actually the format of giving information in the form of a video blog, is one I've been longing for long time :iamamoron:

Like everyone else, I have missed detailed information about the parameters of the combat system. However, we can plausibly assure that in the very near future we will be able to be informed in reference to the changes in detail. Perhaps a thread as a patch note is a more appropriate place to communicate this kind of information than a video blog...

I think not bad. Their priority must be a block delay, but i didn't see anything in video about block delay, whatever. The port at omor fps drop caught my attention,(4.51) i hope they will fix that before update come.

Bruh, the people complaining about the simplicity of a new clan system make little sense, yes the banners are lacklustre, but who said that it's a final product? It'll obviously be expanded apon in the future.

I think not bad. Their priority must be a block delay, but i didn't see anything in video about block delay, whatever. The port at omor fps drop caught my attention,(4.51) i hope they will fix that before update come.

Considering you change the blocking in the combat parameters, I'd imagine it's included.

Hello all,
I didn't work on it personally but here are answers to some questions I could find:

Please keep in mind nothing below is final and should be taken as official.
First come first serve for clan names? Can only one clan be named, say... Southern Empire? Same with tags? No need for tags in steam names anymore?
First come, first serve is correct.
Clan names must be between 5 and 30 letters and can only be letters. Tags must be between 2-4, again only letters. Both needs to be unique.
I expected tags to be used in game before the name but I can't see it anywhere in code. Note that clan features are not final.

Can we create a server and use it for testing/training?
Creating or joining a clan game requires 6-person party where every member is part of the same clan. So if you have 12 person that wants to test/train and you can get 2 groups of 6-person parties in same clan (or all 12 in same clan) you can do it.

Can we search for a random clanmatch aswell? As in, is there a random button for maps and factions, or a way to pick your prefered faction and/or map and still get random opponents?
As far as I know, there is no randomness involved in any part. Your opponent can be pseudo-random if you create a game without password and accept whoever wants to play against you. But even that is not really random.

How will inner clan matches work ?
Answered above.

How much control over those servers do we have? Can we swap sides between sets? Do we need 6 players on both teams for the game to start? Can we force start it with a command? Will it automatically end after a team reaches 3 points? Admin tools?
It is pretty much same system with matchmaking. Only this time you can choose map, factions, game mode and a password if you want.

my worry is a troll would just steal the names of some of the prominent clans in the community
Creating a clan requires a 6-person party. Still possible but not as easy.

the refactor to push changes quicker is far better than any specific changes anyways, since this was the main issue
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. That change was only for private testing servers. It does not affect live servers in any way. What it did was that we could change combat parameters while the game was still going so tester would see changes immediately.

Back
Top Bottom