Thoughts on how to spice up the Khuzaits visual roster

Users who are viewing this thread

The devs have been upgrading some of the factions with new armour etc. The khuzaits however still remain very neglected and absolutely cucked by the Sturgians who got a really nice looking new lamellar armour. Anyway in this thread I was going to share some ideas on what types of armour they should add for the khuzaits, inspired by historical asian stuff (mostly central asian but also western and eastern asian). They of course don't have to strictly conform to the historical stuff.

Before that though there's some balance issues that need addressing. Stuff like the studded leather shoulders + neckguard having more armour given than the metal and brass lamellar pauldrons which make no sense. The metal lamellar pauldrons also have the exact same armour value as the leather lamellar pauldrons which doesn't make sense either, they should be way higher. There's probably other stuff like that to fix which I can't think of atm.

I also believe that the plain lamellar over mail + pauldrons (not the brass ones) should be added to the khuzait roster, looks weird that every high tier troop is wearing brass stuff. Giving the khuzaits a mail hauberk or shirt as a mid-tier armour would also be a good idea imo, as the usage of mail by asian nomads is well documented and it'd add some variety. It also fits right in with the established aesthetic as the lamellar over mail item exists.

Going to the new stuff I think should be added, I'll start with lamello-laminar. Lamello laminar is a type of lamellar armour but each alternating row is a solid leather strip instead. This type of armour is seen in some art and described in at least one text about central asian armour. Here's a decent reproduction of how one could have looked.
7a88bv3.png

The Khuzaits are severely lacking in plainer lamellar, going from leather stuff directly to gilded metal and no good in-between option. This'd fix that too.

Secondly, they could really use a timurid or ottoman/mamluk type brigandine. They already have helmets which have a brigandine aesthetic to them so this'd fit right in as well, and break the monotone look of having only lamellar as higher tier armour:
53785453_2061826703932299_7476575113488367616_n.jpg
tqg3y4hxaas21.jpg

53267068_2058672404247729_8020685884355510272_n.png

Or they could have something a bit more chinese inspired which would also fit nicely since the items are related anyway, and the khuzait already have chinese glaives.
64rt1wg6jx781.jpg

And lastly they could use some metal laminar. Laminar is armour simillar to lamellar except that it's made up of rows of metal or leather instead of smaller scales. The khuzaits already have a leather laminar type armour in the game but for a new high tier armour they could have an all-metal one. Unfortunately I don't know of a survival or reproduction of one of these, just art.
Screenshot_20220513_215517.jpg

Obviously it bares mentioning that most of these examples are from later than the 11th century, the brigandines and laminar being around 14th-15th, however the devs have plenty of other items in the game which stretch the timeline into that period and aesthetics wise I don't think any of these would look out of place.

Last edited:
Eh, dunno about you but I would have preferred less known steppe culture vibes, like so:

12710742_1675408569402769_7373114908033441968_o.jpg

Mongols feel overdone, and I wish TW actually tried to give the Khuzaits something more unique.

Eh, dunno about you but I would have preferred less known steppe culture vibes, like so:

12710742_1675408569402769_7373114908033441968_o.jpg

Mongols feel overdone, and I wish TW actually tried to give the Khuzaits something more unique.
That armour's basically in the game already. The main difference between huns and the il-khanate and the timurids is mainly time period. Huns are earlier so they'll of course look different.

My main point was I want something a bit different than just lamellar. I love lamellar, but I also like other types of armour found in asia. The 'khuzait battle crown' that was added a few updates ago is pretty much straight taken out of Timurid art so I thought adding some timurid inspired brigandines and laminar would be a great aesthetic too.

That armour's basically in the game already. The main difference between huns and the il-khanate and the timurids is mainly time period. Huns are earlier so they'll of course look different.

My main point was I want something a bit different than just lamellar. I love lamellar, but I also like other types of armour found in asia. The 'khuzait battle crown' that was added a few updates ago is pretty much straight taken out of Timurid art so I thought adding some timurid inspired brigandines and laminar would be a great aesthetic too.
Eh, still in the camp of trying push for a more earlier looking vibe. So Timurids are off limits.

I personally don’t fancy that battle crown at all. Looks out of place.

It feels like the current lamellar over mail top tier armour is a placeholder - as it is essentially a recolour/restat of the Sturgian one, and is also used across the empire.

Previously someone official like stated that some other armours are similar across factions because they're placeholders for what will be added later.

So with that in mind, if the Kuzaits had the same kind of love that the Battanians and Asari have been getting, it would make for some nice variations at the top end. I'd love to see some heavier variations - but yeah... brigandine is probably not quite fitting with the pre-Warband timeline.

Eh, still in the camp of trying push for a more earlier looking vibe. So Timurids are off limits.

I personally don’t fancy that battle crown at all. Looks out of place.
I understand your sentiment, but at the same time asian brigandines are rarely included in any setting so I'd still like to see them here even if they are later than the game's intended period. I don't think they aesthetically look as out of place as some other armour from that period. For example I'd oppose adding 14/15th century plate to the vlandians.

I understand your sentiment, but at the same time asian brigandines are rarely included in any setting so I'd still like to see them here even if they are later than the game's intended period. I don't think they aesthetically look as out of place as some other armour from that period. For example I'd oppose adding 14/15th century plate to the vlandians.
I'd still think they would look off if you had a good idea of what they wore at the time.

That being said, if someone were to make these for a 14th century mod I'd adore it.

I'd still think they would look off if you had a good idea of what they wore at the time.

That being said, if someone were to make these for a 14th century mod I'd adore it.
I see your point, and I do agree mainly. It's just that by this point there's so many anachronisms already that unless they replace all of them, I don't mind items which are way out of period as long as they aesthetically maintain somewhat a coherent look within the faction itself.

The khuzaits already have inspiration taken from all over asia with several periods.

However if they just decided to add a bunch of new and way better lamellar for them I wouldn't mind either. It is slightly annoying that Sturgia gets the best looking one lmao.

Back
Top Bottom