Thorgrim's Map Editor v0.9.0 (Updated 20/06/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks for the new key for changing the edit mode Thorgrim. I already sorta managed to get past the ' key problem last night by changing the country settings in windows, but that wasn't a very elegant solution.
The larger brush size comes in handy too, it's already a lot easier to paint larger areas now.

Hope to see many more nice updates.

Zomg, I think I figured it out..

Don't put water where spawn points are o_o

Anyone know how I can actually SEE the spawn points?
Used to be able to with just truesight on..

Great job making a WYSIWYG map editor! I don't make mods, but this will definately improve the mods that use this program and thus I am thankful for your contribution.

Wow, this is fantastic :grin:

I've experimented with it and here are a few discoveries for those interested:

- I made a deep pit in the ocean just to see what would happen, and it seemed like the game just didnt want to start at all (not even the launcher came up). I went back into the editor and flattened it back out, but it still wouldn't run afterwards. I switched to the backup of my original map and it STILL wouldn't run. After a restart it was fine, but if I tried to run my modded map again it wouldn't work, even if I switched back to the backup. I'm guessing making a very deep or very high vertex overloads something.

- In order for a terrain type to actually show up on the map, a vertex needs to be surrounded by the terrain type. putting one triangle of desert within plains will not show up in the game, but a hexagon of triangles will. This is not true of ocean, river, and forest.

- Both mountain terrain AND angle of the poly determines whether it can be travelled on. Steep tiles will block movement even if it is a texture other than mountain, and even if a mountain tile is flat, it's still impassable.

- The ground texture under a forest tile will match snow and desert, but if forest is placed on a previously mountain tile, it will override to the plains texture.

And some suggestions for Thor, when you get around to it:

- A "do you want to save your changes" prompt after hitting esc would be great. I've lost some work accidently hitting esc before I saved.

- Variable sensitivity for changing elevation would be nice

- A flatten tile brush; either by setting the current vertex to the same height as the surrounding vertices, or ask for a height value to set.

- A highlight around the tiles a brush will affect, so you can see the actual brush size.

- And of course, when you devise how to do it, ability to edit the x/y values of vertices, to create coastlines/rivers.

Thanks for the post Curiousepic, but I can't replicate 2 of your points...
I made a really tall peak, and deep hole, and I have no problem walking up them and no crashes (you get a pretty nice view of the whole map up there too! ). Do you mean M&B wouldnt load? or the editor wouldnt load?

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this?
"The ground texture under a forest tile will match snow and desert, but if forest is placed on a previously mountain tile, it will override to the plains texture. "

As for your suggestions, thanks, I have been trying to make an undo function, but I might just add in a confirmation on making a blank map/saving/loading/quitting for now. Variable sensitivity is a good idea, I might add that for the next version. Highlighting I also plan to add once I have terrain blending working.

Thorgrim said:
Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this?
"The ground texture under a forest tile will match snow and desert, but if forest is placed on a previously mountain tile, it will override to the plains texture. "

I think he means that when you place forest over a snow tile, you get a snowy forest, and when you place forest over a steppe tile you get a forested steppe. But if you place forest over mountain tile, it will act as if you placed forest over a plains tile, resulting in a regular forest.

Ahh I see. However, it acualy seems to blend to plains texture no matter what you place it on, though the blending seems a little different on snow so a small patch of forest appears to be just on snow.

Just bumping this because I added version 0.2

Has some major updates, please do check it out and let me know what you think. Would be great to see anything you create too :grin:

Have fun

- Thorgrim

- Towns and spawn points displayed on map

- Can move towns and spawn points in selection mode.
Note that these are stored in save games, so you will need to start a new game to see the effects.

emot-freeman.gif

You sir, own.

Now we just have to wait for some genious to figure out how to add new towns to the map.

Yeah, I know you can add as much new towns to the map as you like(well, at least I can :wink: ) but you can't make them accesable, at least not that I know of.

Anyway good work! Great editor :smile:

It's done in the module_parties file. I just copied the part responsible for one of the towns and changed the name and coordinates(randomly, so i got a town floating on the sea :razz: ).

Isn't there any way to create a new map(inner, the town with buildings and stuff)?

Ps. Sorry for my English, I know it sucks :smile:

Lobo said:
Isn't there any way to create a new map(inner, the town with buildings and stuff)?
Just create a new SCO file (easiest to copy scn_generated_scene.sco, or an existing town) and then add a reference in the module_scenes file for whatever your new filename is.

Hmm... I'll try that, thanks.

Next question - anyone figured ou a way to actually make a town accesable? So that when I go into a newly created town on the world map i get teleported to the map i generated using the method posted above?

Oh yeah, and even if i generate a new map by copying Praven perhaps, how can i edit it? <-- nevermind, I already figured that one out, but still have no clue on how to make towns accesable.

Sorry for those n00bish questions, but im kind of new in editing stuff :wink:

Awesome work! I have one gripe with the new version however, when creating a blank map, the mesh still has the original map's edited vertices for coastline and rivers. I'd really like to have a completely blank, zeroed out map to start with.

As for the carification, the M&B launcher wouldn't start at all, the editor would open fine.

Now I have question for anyone... I accidently deleted some native files when playing around, and so I re-downloaded and reinstalled M&B... but now for some reason the Launcher doesn't have a pulldown to select what module I want to load... I have a new folder in the modules folder, but the pulldown selection box still doesn't show up at all... anyone know how to fix this?

Edit:

Ok something else; i've made a new map, and moved the spawn points and towns out of any water, but after playing for a couple seconds in the map view, or zooming out, it gives me a "Out of Static vertex memory buffer" error and locks up. Do we know how to fix that?

Edit 2:

Moooore troubles. As long as I don't zoom out or rotate my camera, it won't error out, however, I'm coming across some areas that i simply cant move to. Theyre regular plains tiles, and compeltely unobstructed, but when i click thre, my guy wont move at all. i try a little to the left or right, and he'll go there, a little more to the left or right and he won't. it seems really spotty... very strange.

Does the new folder have all the nessessary files to actually play the game? It wont show up unless it has them all.

No idea about the other two, I don't seem to have those problems.

another error, kindof

Now whenever you edit a map in a folder you can't load that module with the unofficial editor, anyway you can fix that?

Curiousepic: Next version I plan on having the blank map creation prompt for the size of the map, and then generate a n x m grid of whatever density you specify :smile:

I've never had a problem with the launcher... thats strange.

As for the in game problems, where did you place the new towns and spawns?
I believe i remember seeing a world bounding box of some type... make sure you placed your new towns etc close to the old ones for now. I'll look into changing the world bounds later, since they also stop you moving outside them (sounds like your last problem).

Also, I'll look at a way to add towns, but really I thought I would leave that up to the other tools for now :wink:

roborob: It has some problem with the parties files I create, I'll try figure out how mine differs from the original, thanks for pointing it out. For now you can just replace the old parties file and it should work again

To map size/density - Awesome :grin:

No, these weren't any major changes, just moving towns out of water if they were in it, and those strange impassable tiles were right near zendar. If you mean the bounding box that restricts the camera in-game, then it's defintely not that.

If anyone would like to test it out to see if it's my system or the map itself, I'd appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom