Thorgrim's Map Editor v0.9.0 (Updated 20/06/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

It shouldn't be hard. Basically the map is an island surrounded by water, no mountains except for the middle of the map, and make rivers going through the map. On the shores it is grasslands, with alot of forests. Near the middle it is snowy, and no trees.

I'm having some problems with the map/camera boundaries. They seem to be defaulting to the Native settings (+\- 70 in X and Y axis) rather than my settings (+\- 160 in X and Y axis. I'm also not able to select the yellow field, and don't see a red field at all

Hi Thorgrim,

Yesterday I was able to use the map editor but today when I downloaded .751 and when I run the map editor it loads the .751 map, and when I uninstalled .751 I get this error:

In the sequence going down.

Edit: Fujiwara had the same error but I dont understand what is needed to be done to fix it.
Fujiwara said:
Thor,

It's been a while (v.751 actually) since I look at the Onin no Ran map, and I'm having problems getting the editor to run. I get the following errors:

"...failed to load or could not find quests_window.dds"
"...failed to load or could not find trees.dds"

and then a Runtime error. I've got the editor folder installed in the root M&B folder,  I have "mbPath=." in the config file, and I found both DDS files in the root Textures folder. I get this behavior regardless of which map I try to load (Native or Onin no Ran). Thanks for your help!

- Fuji

Hi Albino,

Where have you got the map editor installed?

Try place it and the editorData dir in your M&B 0.89x directory, and then use it.  If that still isn't working, try put the full path in your editorData/settings.cfg file.  I am assuming you want to edit the 0.89x map? If you want to edit 0.75x or earlier you will need one of the older versions of the map editor.

Fujiwara said:
I'm having some problems with the map/camera boundaries. They seem to be defaulting to the Native settings (+\- 70 in X and Y axis) rather than my settings (+\- 160 in X and Y axis. I'm also not able to select the yellow field, and don't see a red field at all

Figured it out: text editor stripped out the newlines  :roll:

Edit,

Hey, Thorgrim. When in selection mode and trying to select town, it isn't certain that you actually select it. This is pretty annoying sometimes! Of course, I have to click exactly under the name, not the Icon.

Also, Whenever you click either right or left you get a freeze of about a second. If you click very fast the seconds stack and you can be stuck for 10 seconds. Isn't much of a problem but makes me curious nonetheless, why does it happen?

Also,

What will this do to my game? The yellow not standing on any vertexes I mean.

Edit:
When I installed the editor I did so in Programfiles\MBEditor

The options config:
Settings.cfg said:
mbPath=auto

#  Module to open
Mod=Native

I could start the editor and edit with it without problems and without having a .exe in the modules\native  I thought you needed to have a .exe in the native module? Anyway, How do I export the Highmap or Terrain map? I tried "export" in the menu but it doesn't do anything, I also tried 'X' which gives me a flash of a top view of the map, with green grass and gray mountains. I think it's the terrain map.

Can't find anything concerning those hight and terrain maps... Where?  :eek:

I just had to make a folder named native/editor data/map Data and the export button now works, but if I click on one of those options, which are "hight map", " colour map", "obj file" it does not export anything to the map data folder, for it stays completely empty.

I tried to create the module/editor data/map data with *module* as the map who's files I am exporting, but I did not see any change. I do not spot any exported files in my computer at all.

And how do I edit my world map's sky box?  :eek:

:eek:
Servitor

Servitor said:
Hey, Thorgrim. When in selection mode and trying to select town, it isn't certain that you actually select it. This is pretty annoying sometimes! Of course, I have to click exactly under the name, not the Icon.

Hmm, you cant select by just clicking the icon?  That should work...

Servitor said:
Also, Whenever you click either right or left you get a freeze of about a second. If you click very fast the seconds stack and you can be stuck for 10 seconds. Isn't much of a problem but makes me curious nonetheless, why does it happen?

What type of graphics card do you have?

Servitor said:
Also,

What will this do to my game? The yellow not standing on any vertexes I mean.

As of 0.89x it shouldn't matter any more.  However in 0.808 or earlier, the yellow border represented the distance a player would be able to view to.  If there was not geometry all the way to that border, there would be strange camera artifacts.  It shouldn't be a problem any more though (apart from seeing the land cut off sharply).

Servitor said:
I just had to make a folder named native/editor data/map Data and the export button now works, but if I click on one of those options, which are "hight map", " colour map", "obj file" it does not export anything to the map data folder, for it stays completely empty.

I tried to create the module/editor data/map data with *module* as the map who's files I am exporting, but I did not see any change. I do not spot any exported files in my computer at all.

Hmm, I'll look into it.  The files should just be exported to the editorData/mapData directory...

I'll also make it create the directories if they are not found, thanks for the heads up.

Servitor said:
And how do I edit my world map's sky box?  :eek:

It should just be one of the brf files.  I haven't looked, but it should be in one of them...

Thorgrim said:
Hmm, you cant select by just clicking the icon?  That should work...
No, Doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's the angle at which I try to select it... It's also non-representative; If I click the spot where one icon gets selected, it does not guarantee selection on another town with the same Icon. That's why I thought it to be by name... Damn my dislection. Cannot get this line to make sense for myself anymore.  :???:

Thorgrim said:
What type of graphics card do you have?
NVIDEA GeForce 7600 GS with 256 Memory

Thorgrim said:
As of 0.89x it shouldn't matter any more.  However in 0.808 or earlier, the yellow border represented the distance a player would be able to view to.  If there was not geometry all the way to that border, there would be strange camera artifacts.  It shouldn't be a problem any more though (apart from seeing the land cut off sharply).
Okay, Thanks.

Thorgrim said:
Hmm, I'll look into it.  The files should just be exported to the editorData/mapData directory...
I'll also make it create the directories if they are not found, thanks for the heads up.

Thorgrim said:
It should just be one of the brf files.  I haven't looked, but it should be in one of them...
Okay, Thanks! I will look at them.

Also,

I found these files,
desert.dds (It looks like the desert map texture, is it?)
ground1.dds (This was the map's forest texture right?)
map_steppe.dds (This one has map_ at the name, so thats obvious)
mountain.dds (This one still is the mountain texture!  :eek:)
plain.dds (Doesn't look changed to me)
snow.dds (Doesn't look changed to me)

ocean.dds is used for all water types now...  :???: That's quite annoying... Anything I can change about it?  :eek:

Servitor

sorry  for the question but, when i enter the EDITOR this comes up:
"ERROR:
Could not open texture file"
And i can't read noting it is all brawn and stuff!
PLESSE tell me what to do :cry: :cry: :cry:?!?!
P.S.:razz:retty please :sad:!
P.S.2: Pretty please whit sugar on top :roll:!

Got the tiniest of problems..

I'm working on a map for my mod, and I'm attempting to make the usable space larger - this has worked before.  However, now, there is no red border, and I have only a yellow border, which just happens to be unmovable.

Screenshot:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z158/podrickcloudseer/Thorgrim_Fail.jpg

Fujiwara said:

I had that once, but there I had a wrong version. (Using 0.75 M&B instead of 0.80) Maybe you did something weird with the versions?

zero-cold93 said:
sorry  for the question but, when i enter the EDITOR this comes up:
"ERROR:
Could not open texture file"
And i can't read noting it is all brawn and stuff!
PLESSE tell me what to do :cry: :cry: :cry:?!?!
P.S.:razz:retty please :sad:!
P.S.2: Pretty please whit sugar on top :roll:!

The map editor isnt finding your M&B dir.  try editing the path in editorData/settings.cfg

welkyn said:
Got the tiniest of problems..

I'm working on a map for my mod, and I'm attempting to make the usable space larger - this has worked before.  However, now, there is no red border, and I have only a yellow border, which just happens to be unmovable.

Hmm, not sure why that would be... try edit the border values manually in module.ini (in your module dir).

Thor, is there any reason Map Editor shouldn't work for v.901? Two things I've noticed:

1) It won't start when v.901 is installed. Setting path to auto causes a crash without even seeing the splash screen. Pointing to a different path gives a few 'cannot find X file blah blah blah' messages

2) The old mountain textures don't seem to work anymore. Everything that is (or was) mountain in the Onin no Ran map is now that textureless white.

UPDATE: The max vertices issue seems to have gone away, since I'm able to use my old high-res map again

Hmm, I'll take a look at the end of the week.  I haven't had any spare time for the last few weeks... and I have a heap of things I need to get done in my short break from work... so we'll see.  I thought I tried it with 0.900 and it worked though.  Things will hopefully be a little less hectic next year though, so hopefully I can get a fix out in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom