Thorgrim's Map Editor v0.9.0 (Updated 20/06/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryantheskinny said:
So it would be possible to extend the edge of of map mesh and then import it?

And can I use a program other than meshlab or is that the most effective?

I used MeshLab as it allowed me to subdivide or decimate in selected regions rather than the whole mesh. Any 3D modelling program, which allowed the same flexibility would work just as well.

When I extruded the edge of a mesh it was a nightmare to straighten because the edge it was extruded from wasn't regular (had been decimated previously resulting in irregular polygons) and wasn't flat (topography). If you attempt it, don't follow my example. Make sure your edge is regular with equally sized and spaced polys so and mesh extension isn't skewed. Make sure the edge you are extruding is flat or any humps will be replicated in the extrusion forming ugly straight ridges, which are a pain to iron out.

Okay, thanks. I'm going to try out meshlab later and see how it goes. Basically I made a map in thorgrims (using blood pass and swyters cartographer as well) and after doing alot of fine detail, someone suggested adding a region that was not in the current configuration so I hope to extend the mesh enough to add the region in with out having to redo the entire map.

Ryantheskinny said:
Okay, thanks. I'm going to try out meshlab later and see how it goes. Basically I made a map in thorgrims (using blood pass and swyters cartographer as well) and after doing alot of fine detail, someone suggested adding a region that was not in the current configuration so I hope to extend the mesh enough to add the region in with out having to redo the entire map.

Good luck.  :grin:

Ryantheskinny said:
Ugh, for some reason I was able to convert the entire mesh into fractal faces but when I tried subdividing it using the loop method and it crashed lol

Adding polys should be done sparingly to increase detail in specific locations. I'd keep my overall number of polys below 100,000 even though ACOK risks appox. 132K. When I use MeshLab for subdivision, I use mid-point subdivision with a single iteration to minimise the numbers of polys generated in very small and precise locations.

If you are extruding an edge you only want to subdivide in one direction as the other direction is already set by the parent polys.

Edit - for an extension you could also try to create a flat blank map in Thorgrims (new command) and cut up the required size. Then align it with your original map in your 3D editor and merge each of the vertices at the join. Whatever you do, make sure the resulting mesh is fully triangulated.

Thanks for all the suggestions NPC99, I ended up just remaking the map, I wasn't to far into it and wanted to fix a few more areas that it was just less time consuming to restart.

Now I have a new problem... I converted all the VC parties (replaced everything with default icons) to move them around, had everything set last night, started up this morning and all the bandit parties, monasteries, ferries and a few random places disappeared, they are still in the parties text but no longer show on the map. Really wierd.... Any ideas?

That sounds odd. If all of the missing parties are at the bottom of parties.txt, you may have broken syntax somewhere even though it looks ok to the eye. For example, breaking a line into two will cause problems as the game/editor will assume that your single entry over two lines is meant to be two different parties, neither of which meet required syntax.

yep I dicked it up...

what it should look like:
qMooh1A.png

what I got:
4HOVaGN.png

seems I must have changed something that screwed the whole text up, or the program glitched.

For some reason TME has stopped working for me - I've recently switched to Windows 10, and when clicking the editor, it doesn't open.

Any ideas?

Yeap, that worked.

Second problem though - it won't load the map.txt of my custom map, only the native version.

Can it have something to do with having edited it in wings3d before exporting it as a map.txt?

Cozur said:
Yeap, that worked.

Second problem though - it won't load the map.txt of my custom map, only the native version.

Can it have something to do with having edited it in wings3d before exporting it as a map.txt?

If you could load your custom map.txt in Thorgrims under Windows 7, it should load under Windows 10. If you’ve changed it subsequently via wings3d that may have introduced a problem of some sort. Given map.txt is a simple (if extremely long) text file, the problem may just be a formatting error. In my experience, map.txt requires precise formatting. I’d load map.txt into Excel, reformat it so everything is correctly formatted and see if that resolves the problem. You can send me your custom map.txt file, if you want me to give it a go.

Normally, when working with an external 3D editor, it’s best to:
1. load a version of the map into Thorgrims prior to modelling changes,
2. Select new map in Thorgrims while still in the previous map,
3. Then import the revised obj file so it inherits the terrain paint scheme of the previous version.

Is there an easy way to set a group of vertexes I highlight to all be the same height? I made some islands but I want to get rid of them and return that area to the ocean and it seems very tedious to do manually.

I did make a backup before starting- but I only want to delete about half the islands I made. So perhaps there is a way to combine the maps (even by directly editing the text file- I looked at it and it looks like a sequence of x,y,z coordinates? Is that correct?)

cwr said:
Is there an easy way to set a group of vertexes I highlight to all be the same height? I made some islands but I want to get rid of them and return that area to the ocean and it seems very tedious to do manually.

I did make a backup before starting- but I only want to delete about half the islands I made. So perhaps there is a way to combine the maps (even by directly editing the text file- I looked at it and it looks like a sequence of x,y,z coordinates? Is that correct?)

map.txt is organised as follows:
A. The first row is a single number, which is the number of vertices,
B. The next set of rows are of three numbers each, being the x,y,z coordinates of each vertex listed in order (but unnumbered) running from zero to the total number of vertices minus one,
C. The next row is a single number, which is the number of polys,
D. The final set of rows are of six reference numbers, each for each poly, listed in order (but unnumbered) running from zero to the total number of polys minus one. The reference numbers are:
1. Terrain code (i.e. 8 = river etc).
2. Zero - presumably unused.
3. Three - I assume this confirms that each poly is composed of three vertices.
4-6. The list numbers of the three vertices making up that particular poly.

To change vertex heights you need to:
A. Paint the terrain to be adjusted a unique terrain so it can be searched for. If your map has no snow, use that.
B. Import map.txt into excel. When asked the fields are delimited by a space, not fixed length.
C. Add vertex list numbers (0 to total-1).
D. Search the last poly section for terrain code 4 if using snow as an identifier and note all that poly’s vertex numbers.
E. Change the z coordinate for each vertex of each snow poly.
F. Reformat map.txt and export from excel.

This can be partially automated using lookup tables etc.
That can let you reset the height of your redundant islands back to sea level, or I could do it for you if you tell me what unique terrain code you’ve painted them with to identify the polys to be lowered.

I don’t know how to combine maps by txt edits. That needs tedious mesh edits in blender.

Hello,

I'm having an issue where the menus in Thorgrim's Map Editor v0.9.0 are completely blank. I can't import or export because it looks like this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/y8833p5j2twg611/Thorgrin%27s_Map_Editor_Error.PNG

Anyone else run into this problem? What might be the solution? I've reinstalled the utility multiple times to no avail. I've also set the path to the module I'm working with, so it doesn't seem like a path issue.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom