SP Tutorial World Map Thorgrim's Map Editor [incomplete, inactive]

Users who are viewing this thread

WookieWarlord said:
When you save it, shouldn't it automatically overwrite the native map.txt? Have you tried going ingame to find out?

Ah ok I got it now aparently I was editing the wrong map. Am I able to just copy and paste the map.txt over to the module I want it on or do I have to remake my map again?

Edit: nvm I can thanks

I posted this under editing tools/Thorgrim's Map Editor but there isn't any activity there.

I have a few questions about creating a new map in the Editor. I started by trying to follow the tutorial but it got way too complicated and I didn't have the program specified anyway. While doing some research I read it was possible to create a map using the colors from the Map Editor Palette and import it into the editor. I am using GIMP to create the map and I want to import it into the editor to add towns, etc. 

What size should the finished map be to import it? The tutorial said 400x300 (pixels?) but this is so small I can't see how the editor could pick up any detail.

What file extension should the map file have?

My last question concerns how the game interprets map features when generating a battlefield. I've been playing this game for months and I have often felt the game should be titled Mountain Goat and Blade as most battles are fought on very hilly terrain. The best I've ever encountered was gently rolling hills. God forbid I get near a forest or a mountain range. My question is this. Does the map editor allow any control over how the game generates a battlefield?

Mods, if there is a better place to post this please let me know.

Thanks.

PR

Meh, as good a place as any I suppose.

What size should the finished map be to import it? The tutorial said400x300 (pixels?) but this is so small I can't see how the editor couldpick up any detail.
400x300 is by no means small. It goes by pixels, and having even just one pixeol deviating from the norm will cause the file to not work. Let me tell you, going over 400x300 square pixels is a pretty big job. You will need to polish the map up in the map editor afterwards.

What file extension should the map file have?
The file extension should be bitmap.

My question is this. Does the map editor allow any control over how the game generates a battlefield?
No, the map editor only changes the map.txt and the parties.txt. Scenes are dealt with in module_scenes.py, so look to that if you want to change the terrain generation codes.

Pale Rider said:
Does the map editor allow any control over how the game generates a battlefield?
Game generates more hilly terrain when map Z coordinate for the place where you happened to have battle is higher. So even if your world map is completely flat mesh, but elevated to higher Z, you'll get mad mountainz for all your battlemaps. Solution = select all map vertices (by doubleclicking) and lower the whole map to lower Z.

Also, game tries to track what terrain you are in (or near) and generate related battlemaps. If you are in or near forest tile on the map, your battlemap will have lots of trees.

Generally, battlemap generator sucks, and it is more fun to construct several battlemaps by hand, and substitute those instead of randomly generated. It's pretty easy. Moreover, by only rearrangeing entry points you can have a nice variety of maps from only a handful of preconstructed terrains.

Thanks Mayhem. I guess it seemed small because a signature is 200x600 which is the same number of pixels as a 300x400 map. It's hard to fathom the huge world maps we play with all their detail came from a 300x400 base. But I'll learn more as I get back to work on it. Thanks again.

GetAssista said:
it is more fun to construct several battlemaps by hand, and substitute those instead of randomly generated. It's pretty easy. Moreover, by only rearrangeing entry points you can have a nice variety of maps from only a handful of preconstructed terrains.

Thanks GetAssista. Can you tell me how to do this or direct me to a source/tutorial? I searched and read thru some threads but couldn't find any specific method. Is this done in module_scenes.py as Mayhem mentioned?
Thanks for your tip on the Z coordinate.

PR

Pale Rider said:
Is this done in module_scenes.py as Mayhem mentioned?
Yes, it is I've done it myself while implemeting the desert terrain in a map I was making(native doesn't have battle scenes for desert terrain so I had to make some. Damn lazy Armagan and the gang).
To generate new terrain codes, enable edit mode and go into the game. There you will see a "Terrain" button or something like that next to the camp button. Click on it, generate your terrain, and in the top left corner or something the terrain code will be there. Click the copy button, and exit MnB and go to the module_scenes and paste the code into the appropriate place.

Note that the randomised scenes use sf_randomize, so take that away if you don't want your terrain randomly modified, or conversely add that if you want a scene, like quick battle 2, randomised. I haven't really tested this, but its something you can think about.

As this thread tells about the mapEditor and I have a question related to it, this seemed the right place to post it.
Just as everyone else who ventures modding (and is new to it), I have to start somewhere.

It's interesting some people have put up the afford and skills to make useful tools for modding. Yet, I turned to the world of scripting as
that fits me best. Atm I'm developing a mod (not for release, just to learn), I'm turning though more to the scripting.

I was wondering if someone would want to give a go at the map in the theme of this practice mod. I don't ask for great
skills of course, anyone who wants to practice and wants a challenge is welcome..
So if anyone wants to help out and have some practice he/she may just pm me :smile:

I don't think it has been stated yet in this thread, but if you want to make a map larger than 280x280 you need to modify the following lines in the settings.cfg of the map editor.

#  Size of new maps when created (in game units)
MapWidth=280
MapHeight=280

I was successful in creating a new map, but it kept coming up the same size when imported, regardless of the size of my .bmp file.  By changing this setting I was able to create a 1000x1000 map.

I followed this tutorial to the letter, but I still can't import my maps to the Mapeditor.  I have my Sardinia-c.bmp and Sardinia.bmp saved in mapData, but when I go to try and import them, nothing happens.  Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Make absolutely sure that your -c.bmp only has the colors shown in the example pallet.  I had the same problem until I verified all the colors.  The tool needs some good error messages.

Hi all,

sorry for my english ... i'm looking for increase the battlefield size or the town areas of the europe 1200 mod ...

Do you know how to do that  with a simply and fast procedure ? For me battlefield size are too small because enemy chivalry could reach your soldiers too early and i have not the time to have funny with tactics  and prepare for battle. Please help me.

matholwych said:
Make absolutely sure that your -c.bmp only has the colors shown in the example pallet.  I had the same problem until I verified all the colors.  The tool needs some good error messages.
I used the color picker tool to make sure that the colors are exactly the same as they are on the native-c.bmp map.  I can't import the other map either though.

Hi all,

sorry for my english ... i'm looking for increase the battlefield size or the town areas of the europe 1200 mod ...

Do you know how to do that  with a simply and fast procedure ? For me battlefield size are too small because enemy chivalry could reach your soldiers too early and i have not the time to have funny with tactics  and prepare for battle. Please help me.
Post this in the Europe 2100 mod's subforum.

Hi, i have asked many people about adding spawn points it seems that you could be the only one who can help me.

I Have thorgrim's map editor and i REALLY Need help all i want to do is add a small mercenary warband that can respawn and wanders around....i have made a template and the units that i need but idn how to add spawn points.

-I Pkz I
:twisted:

Hi, if someone has been trought this before, i have 1 question about the Editor.
i have followed  Hulagu's tuto step by step, but i have this happening when importing the BMP files :sad:mountains bumps into the ocean  :sad: )
test1mi.jpg

BMP files seem fine though and are as following:
mexicoc.png
mexicom.png
[/IMG]

Also one noob question:

what are the red and yellow lines for? :

test2kf.jpg

Thank you.

Tul-Sa Doom said:
Also one noob question:

what are the red and yellow lines for? :

test2kf.jpg

Thank you.

They are the borders i think....(you cant go outside the borders)
like an invisible wall covering the map..

-I Pkz I
:twisted:

Not quite.

They are the camera border. The player will be able to walk wherever there is not mountain or water, ecept for fords.
The red border is where you'll be able to go as furthest on the map with the camera, and the yellow border fills no know function.

To restrict the player from entering one certain area you must make a single poly line of mountain texture on the ground. It will not show in game if it's only one line of it.

Good luck.
Nagl

Back
Top Bottom