SP Tutorial World Map Thorgrim's Map Editor [incomplete, inactive]

Users who are viewing this thread

Hulagu Khan

Sergeant at Arms
I am no longer capable of continuing this tutorial - if someone would like to take it over or create a new tutorial, please feel free.

Upon request

Intro:

I am definitely NOT the best, as ive mentioned many times before, i've seen others create way better maps than what I could manage, but I will explain the basics for those who understand nothing about Thorgrims program.

I have created 3 maps in my time with M&B. My first map (which was ridiculously huge) of the middle-east (eastern-europe to western-asia including India and parts of North Africa) -- It was fun to make, regardless of it's lag-loving size....

My second map was a replica of my first one, I accidentally deleted it so I had to remake it :smile:

Image1-1.jpg

My third map was the map used for the Mongol Mod; it's a map of Mongolia:

Image2-4.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

The controls for Thorgrims Map Editor are very easy to get used to. Though the program is still a little buggy - it is FULLY capable of getting the job done. Just make sure you SAVE after every major change. Otherwise you risk having an unexpected crash and having to learn the hard way; starting over. Do not rush - use 1 command at a time, if you arent going to enjoy your progress then your final results turn out sloppy. Don’t forget – Ctrl+Z reverses your last action

Part 1 – Getting your map started:

Ok lets get started. I am currently working on a map for a Turkish mod called "Heros and Empires" (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,63774.0.html) –

First, when dealing in actual EARTHLING maps, you need a topographic version of the map. Topo’s put more detail in elevation so you don’t have to do everything by hand.

The best way to start out is by getting an ENTIRE topo-world map

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/WorldMap-A_non-Frame.png (it's big)

Now, find the area you are going to be mapping -- Select AROUND the area you are going to be mapping – bigger than what you actually need (but not too big) because you also want realism when doing maps – you don’t want that empty sky visible on the outside of ur map. (idk bout you but that makes me feel lonely inside.)

Image4-2.jpg

Next, copy/paste your selection as a new image.

Image5.jpg

Use the color replacing tool – replace the ENTIRE ocean with 1 color (doesn’t matter which color, as long as it’s a light color.) Make sure you adjust the tolerance level of the color replacer so it gets rid of the entire ocean, try to avoid colorizing LAND otherwise you’ll mess up your map :smile:

Image6-2.jpg

Copy and paste the map, so you have 2 of the same map – grayscale the FIRST map – or colorize it gray (either way, same destination)

Image7-1.jpg

With the SECOND map, blur it only a tad

Image8-1.jpg

Now, still with the second map - click color replacing tool again, color LAND with GREEN and color the ocean/lakes/water with BLUE. The color codes must be exact, otherwise Thorgrims Map Editor will not register your imported map – use below as your tool for proper color (copy/paste it into your Paint Shop Pro or whatever you use): NOTE! The Map Pallet below may be incorrect due to multiple saves (saving a picture multiple times changes its color slightly).

Map_Pallet.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image10.jpg

Resize BOTH maps to 400x300 (400 wide -by- 300 tall) – Make sure that your image matches your settings

#  Size of new maps when created (in game units)
MapWidth=400
MapHeight=300

That way – when importing – it doesn’t get smashed.

Image11.jpg

Make sure your SECOND map still has only 2 colors (if you even have 1 pixel discolored, your imported map will not work), if it got automatically blurred by the resize, just go over it again with the color replacer.

Now with the FIRST map – turn it into a NEGATIVE image; the darker the area the lower the terrain, the lighter the area the higher the terrain – adjust to your need.

Image12.jpg

With the FIRST map (the gray one), Gaussian blur it a little and SMOOTH it, you don’t want any roughness but you still want to tell the difference between land and water (depth-wise)

Image13.jpg

Save the FIRST map (the gray one) as a .BMP
However make sure you save the SECOND map adding “-c” to the end of the name, example: “Example-c.BMP” – the –C is something that is needed when importing.

Open Thorgrims Map Editor, start a new map and Import your saved files.

Image14.jpg

The map shown above is NOT done - this is the direct import - I have not done any work, so dont assume that's my finale :eek:

NOT YET ON PART 2-3

Part 2 – Editing with Thorgrims Map Editor:

Now here comes the fun part.

Here’s a useful map to get a feel of what your terrain should look like

http://www.diversitypreparedness.org/SiteData/images/world%20map/2272d23af51ca9bf122d1e846048f2f0/world%20map.jpg -- it's big

This map can be useful as well

http://www.printableworldmap.org/printable-world-map-elevation-wik.jpg -- also very big.

Useful Hotkeys
Ctrl+Z Undo
Shift+Arrows Speed up movement
T Make Towns invisible
Ctrl+S Auto-smooth edges
Ctrl+R Rotate map 90 degrees
TAB Unselect
Ctrl+W Toggle Wire-frame (very useful)
B Toggle map boundaries (the red & yellow thingies)

Table of Context
1. Smoothing Edges
2. Balancing Terrain
3. Rivers & Lakes
4. Hills, Cliffs, Mountains
5. Snow, Desert, Grass
6. Trees
7. Roads

In process….

Part 3 – Finalizing your map:

Not there yet :smile:

Other useful links
GetAssista - read his signature​

hmmm, If I remember rightly didn't Colt/Tegan make a tutorial close to this one

I like this tuorial allot better though, I'll have a go at this tutorial once I have finished doing some work

can you also do a bit on how to remove and replace old town icons with new custom made ones ?

I am not too familiar with making new towns, but I think that requires the Module System - which I do not have.... and have little experience in. so no, sorry, maybe someone else can and ill put it in this thread with their credit!

ah ok, thats cool

still it's a great tutorial and I'm going to have a go at it a little later, I'll try south Africa I think and post how it goes :razz:

Jlgx50 said:
hmmm, If I remember rightly didn't Colt/Tegan make a tutorial close to this one

I like this tuorial allot better though, I'll have a go at this tutorial once I have finished doing some work

can you also do a bit on how to remove and replace old town icons with new custom made ones ?
I dont even know who they are =P

I have seen a tutorial once before, called "Map Beautification" or something, but that's for hardcore mappers not beginners. and it's on an off-link website.

I'm trying your tutorial now and i'm at the

"Next, copy/paste your selection as a new image."

any size in particula I need to dump the selected part of the map in like 512x512 or 1024x1024 ?

Edit: ok I tryed to follow your tutorial as good as a could becasue I'm useing Photoshop not the program you have used

anyway I saved the hight map as a BMP and I saved the normal coloured map as a jpeg

now when I inport the normal coloured map all I get is a light purpule coloured map :sad:

what have I done wrong ?

well I figured out how to get the maps working in the editer but now there eather to hight above the water or to low and it looks like Africa is about to be swolowed up by the water :sad:

Jlgx50:
You arent following the tutorial.

If you're using photoshop, copy your selection then create a new image, the image should automatically adjust to the size of your clipboard image (the image you've copied)

it doesnt matter what size it is when you select it from the topo-map -- so dont worry about adjusting size until that part of the tutorial comes up.

You are supposed to save both maps as .BMP -- not .JPEG

Dont forget, with the colored map you MUST add the "-c" at the end of whatever you named it, so it should be saved as "image-c.bmp"

If your map is being swallowed up by water then you're not doing it right lol - redo it until you get it right. Dont forget that on the elevation map you must import: the darker spots are - the lower the terrain, the lighter spots are - the higher the terrain.

NaglFaar:
Yes I didnt know photobucket resized images automatically if they were too big....

I got the topo map from google -- i will post googles link instead.

Kongol Khan said:
NaglFaar:
Yes I didnt know photobucket resized images automatically if they were too big....
I got the topo map from google -- i will post googles link instead.

That would be lovely. I'm kinda tired to make the real-world map's from scratch  :grin:
It looks like a very good way to make maps.

Waiting for the links.

I was using this editor to crate map , but how can I add new towns for new factions , with new troop trees ? ...when I add town I select I use troop editor to selest the kingdom for town , ok done willages too...done and when i go to game it crash ... something with mount and blade.exe what i need to do ? in forums are much of tutorieals , but most of them if for versions  <1.011 .maby there is problem with faction ( I edited one of given factions culture_3 or something lake that ). :???: :neutral:

spl00ge said:
Hm. Which file do you import? the -C? Because when I try to import, all I get is a massive block of land.
Do these look fine?
mbgreco-persiabg-c-1.jpg

mbgreco-persiabw-1.jpg

Also, should all the towns still be there when I click new map?

spl00ge said:
spl00ge said:
Hm. Which file do you import? the -C? Because when I try to import, all I get is a massive block of land.
Do these look fine?
mbgreco-persiabg-c-1.jpg

mbgreco-persiabw-1.jpg

Also, should all the towns still be there when I click new map?

Towns must be in that location with is in native .... I think ...

Back
Top Bottom