This stressful mechanic must stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

I love the game, or so I think. I have several games abandoned in the middle and always for the same reason, the game takes me from fun to stress with unstoppable wars.

I have a game as a bandit boss who becomes noble, one like Joan of Arc mimicking the Strat Gaming series, even a pacifist like Mahatma Gandhi, fighting only auto resolve battles (he's still a pacifist if he doesn't kill anyone, he doesn't have the guilt that he hangs out with such violent friends).

Now I'm playing one solo as a mercenary. My idea was to help some kingdoms to destroy others to bring Carladia to few big kingdoms. I ended up making the southern empire dominate almost the entire imperial and sturgia zone. The western empire and Sturgia are almost destroyed, the northern empire only has one clan years ago (in fact, in the list of clans, it is the poorest clan of all).

But of course, even if the northern empire is completely destroyed, it still stands, and somehow a destitute emperor manages to convince mercenaries to fight for him, or rather destroy everything for him, compulsively looting the entire map, in a way random, 3, 4, 5 mercenary clans even. And the empire of the South does not care, pay 100 denars a day so that they do not bother more? never!

One thing I discovered and today in particular I came to notice the evil behind the programming of the game. It is that the Kingdoms do not seek balance, it is a lie. Because every time I was a mercenary of the Empire and the game decided to put 3 enemies on us, I left the kingdom, 5 seconds later, 2 of those enemy kingdoms made peace, even with the southern empire dominating half of the map. If you are in the kingdom you can see how nobody wants peace, it is because YOU are in the kingdom, but if you leave, peace immediately.

What happened to me today was ridiculous, war against vladia and northern empire. Aserai declares war, the empire has almost 40% peace intention with vladia and I see 2 armies of vladia on their way to besiege 2 castles that we conquered no time ago. I leave the empire, Vlaida makes peace immediately. Exactly, it was not the empire, but vladia that offered peace.

I go to the nearby castle where a noble of the empire was, I ask him to become a mercenary again and I see how the northern empire is alone without any mercenaries. 5 seconds pass and the northern empire hires 3 mercenary clans! And a few minutes later Battania declares war on us. I leave the Empire again, guess what happens...Aserai declares peace. But the most important thing here is the detail that I enter the fight and the northern empire hires 3 mercenary clans!

It's not because the game seeks balance, it's because you exist. I enter the empire of the south and the beggar empire of the north begins to plunder and destroy everything, the other kingdoms take turns declaring war on you one after the other, after the other and after the other. All the cities starving, cities and villages with prosperity on the verge of being negative. Cities on the verge of loyalty. Bandit bases and hordes of bandits everywhere. Just because you are there, EXISTING.

Final note: the only games Calradia unified were the ones where I resorted to executions.

Final note: the only games Calradia unified were the ones where I resorted to executions.
This has been my experience as well. Since recruiting minor factions and other lords is an unnecessary pain in the ass for the player but not for the AI, no matter how messed up their kingdoms are, they always end up keeping lords that somehow have decently sized armies.

Since taking all their fiefs doesn't stop them at all from having any income and ways to create an army, and given how painful the process is to recruit each of their clans until you empty their faction out, specially considering that you need to have fiefs, money and relations for them so they don't defect, the only real route left for actual world unification is to start chopping heads off.

At least Warband had lords defect into the player's faction which allowed you to recruit them easily, or they'd just leave Calradia for good.

But in Bannerlord there's just such a stupidly big emphasis on combat, it's like the devs purposefuly made it so once the player starts doing anything with a kingdom be it mercenary, vassal or king, it's just wars from then to infinity because you can't properly destroy a kingdom.

This has been my experience as well. Since recruiting minor factions and other lords is an unnecessary pain in the ass for the player but not for the AI, no matter how messed up their kingdoms are, they always end up keeping lords that somehow have decently sized armies.

Since taking all their fiefs doesn't stop them at all from having any income and ways to create an army, and given how painful the process is to recruit each of their clans until you empty their faction out, specially considering that you need to have fiefs, money and relations for them so they don't defect, the only real route left for actual world unification is to start chopping heads off.

At least Warband had lords defect into the player's faction which allowed you to recruit them easily, or they'd just leave Calradia for good.

But in Bannerlord there's just such a stupidly big emphasis on combat, it's like the devs purposefuly made it so once the player starts doing anything with a kingdom be it mercenary, vassal or king, it's just wars from then to infinity because you can't properly destroy a kingdom.
The AI even declares wars against the player faction, they can not win, while they can not siege or raid a single fief.

In my games, I always push my villages to 1500 hearth, so my villages have around 150 - 200 militias to prevent the AI from raiding them and my towns to 10k prosperity to have 600 - 1000 militia to prevent the AI from sieging it and they still declare war against my faction.

I think they should add some sort of war goal and ticking war score for defender, if the attacker don't attack anything, if the war score reaches 100, the loser of the war is force to accept the peace with very bad terms and a very long truce period.

In Paradox games I never have an AI to declare war against faction, except peasant in CK3, but in this game the AI makes very bad decisions.

Last edited:
It is not stressful it is just boring. They really have to do something about the diplomacy of this game.

The AI even declares wars against the player faction, they can not win, while they can not siege or raid a single fief.
In one of my games, I killed everyone, and made new nobles by recruiting companions. One fiefdom per clan. I put in laws to increase loyalty and security, they hardly even spawned looters on the map, all of Calradia in a network of 100 total security. My new nobles decided to declare war on the other kingdoms, kingdoms that no longer existed, they declared war on dead people.

The game is not only in development, they haven't even made an ending yet. They would have thought "let's make them be at war forever and they won't realize that the game has zero development".

I don't understand anything about programming, but this is done in warband, what the hell is wrong with disbanding factions? is it difficult to program?

I've been posting some bugs and seeing others posted in the bugs section. The children that are born all identical, caravans that remain traveling between two Kusait cities forever, the castles and cities with full dungeons, errors that everyone who plays has to have, that anyone who plays the game can see, they ask to send files of your games, why? don't have at least one person playing the game? We are not talking about very hidden errors or errors that occur due to very detailed situations.

It is not stressful it is just boring. They really have to do something about the diplomacy of this game.
Do not say that you are bored, if not they will implement a new mechanic where they will make the AI create new kingdoms so that you have more enemies to declare war on, for sure you will have more fun if you fight against more enemies at the same time :razz:

In one of my games, I killed everyone, and made new nobles by recruiting companions. One fiefdom per clan. I put in laws to increase loyalty and security, they hardly even spawned looters on the map, all of Calradia in a network of 100 total security. My new nobles decided to declare war on the other kingdoms, kingdoms that no longer existed, they declared war on dead people.

The game is not only in development, they haven't even made an ending yet. They would have thought "let's make them be at war forever and they won't realize that the game has zero development".

I don't understand anything about programming, but this is done in warband, what the hell is wrong with disbanding factions? is it difficult to program?

I've been posting some bugs and seeing others posted in the bugs section. The children that are born all identical, caravans that remain traveling between two Kusait cities forever, the castles and cities with full dungeons, errors that everyone who plays has to have, that anyone who plays the game can see, they ask to send files of your games, why? don't have at least one person playing the game? We are not talking about very hidden errors or errors that occur due to very detailed situations.
You forgot the childs only get culture from their mother bug, who can celebrate it's birthday in couple of days, nearly a year and not fixed yet.

Do not say that you are bored, if not they will implement a new mechanic where they will make the AI create new kingdoms so that you have more enemies to declare war on, for sure you will have more fun if you fight against more enemies at the same time :razz:
oh god please no. We are going to reach grind level world of warcraft at this point.

That's why you play with Diplomacy and Allegiance overhaul mods.
Vanilla diplomacy mechanics is a joke.
Those mods are absolutely the way for bannerlord and its more than fine you posted those here.
Also first Mount and Blade then Warband was for me much more enjoyable playing some mods, i played only the first steps vanilla but as interesting mods were released never the main MB/Warband again.
I think really bannerlord will be first more interesting with good mods and so those are not only nice additions, those are a must be
(much work for the passioned mod-community, thats clear).
So it is perhaps better and more realistic not to expect to much from the vanilla version. And finally it is nearly much more important there will be a good modding community and modding possibilities for all those demands, like for Warband.
But for great mods with par example historical or different fantasy background, also with new outfits and maps there will be more than a year for something really fine.
I liked for Warband 1257 and sure also other mods (crpg was really something unique and different) but those need(ed) years in development before really enjoyable.
Here momentary i wait mainly for
--- Dell'arte della guerra ---
the timeline fits exactly to my most liked (means only 'most', i like also other periods) ^^
But sure also the models for the warriors are looking more than only great there that mod will be first interesting to play (''if'' released) if there will be a diplomatic/social behaviour overhaul like your suggested mods.

I don't think any of us deserve problems like this to be answered with "install mods".

Personally, the only complaint I have and I accept that answer is the fact that I cannot have a polygamous marriage. And from what I saw, no moder came up with that :sad:
At this speed, mods is all we have. Base game gets boring too damn fast, especially if you are over 100 hours.

Also, there is a mod.

We all know there are 2 real enemies in Bannerlord. Minor clans and your own allies.
I remember someone in the forum claimed that killing minor clans via command console fixes this strange behaviour about war/peace but never tried it myself. Worth a shot, I guess.
Garios once hired all of them but one against me. Clan icons didn't even fit in the Kingdom war screen, you had to scroll to see all. There should definitely be a limit on how many can be hired during a war both for player and AI.

At this speed, mods is all we have. Base game gets boring too damn fast, especially if you are over 100 hours.

Also, there is a mod.
I have a lot of imagination for roleplay, I also think I'm a player who likes monotony, because I have more than a thousand hours without mods. But without a doubt when I get sick of playing bannerlord I will try that mod! roleplay possibilities become endless

We all know there are 2 real enemies in Bannerlord. Minor clans and your own allies.
I remember someone in the forum claimed that killing minor clans via command console fixes this strange behaviour about war/peace but never tried it myself. Worth a shot, I guess.
Garios once hired all of them but one against me. Clan icons didn't even fit in the Kingdom war screen, you had to scroll to see all. There should definitely be a limit on how many can be hired during a war both for player and AI.
The big problem with the minor clans is that they are dedicated to looting rather than being real mercenaries. I would invite anyone on TW to play as a mercenary the same way mercenaries act, to see how many hours of play they will be unable to recruit anyone from a village or a city. Or even get hired by a kingdom.

But as I mentioned in my top comment, actually, the player's biggest enemy is the player himself. And you are your own enemy because of all that sick mechanics behind.

Back
Top Bottom