This post will be hated.

Users who are viewing this thread

I love how 90% of the community rushes them to release the game saying “we’d even just be happy with a graphical update of Warband!” then they finally accommodate and let us play the game early without all of its new features and we get these types of posts.

I get that it needs improvements and I agree with your thoughts on multiplayer but it’s not really “ridiculous”. Those sound like pretty easy fixes. They gave us three game modes with objectives and team based mechanics. It’s not their fault that people run around like idiots and don’t work together.

Implement a ranked mode and voice comms and those issues basically become obsolete.
Thank you for saying this. These threads and posts that are highly critical of Taleworlds is baseless.

For some to say that Bannerlord is a glorified mod, is just rubbish.

Honestly I should start a thread that ask, if people weren't playing Bannerlord, what would they be playing?

This a 7 year old mod
The main mistake of Tale Worlds was announcing it too soon, the game has been developed for the last 4 years, they had to restart the game and make a brand new engine for it but yeah this is not a game thats been worked 7 years on it but in my opinion for 4 years its not that bad and this is EA.

There's a lot of features in the code that are ready to be introduced, but taleworlds is taking it slow and adding 1 at a time and fixing the bugs on the way, what you're playing is only a portion of the work they've done and there's a ****ton of cool stuff they're almost ready to add, so don't be so disappointed

The main mistake of Tale Worlds was announcing it too soon, the game has been developed for the last 4 years, they had to restart the game and make a brand new engine for it but yeah this is not a game thats been worked 7 years on it but in my opinion for 4 years its not that bad and this is EA.
Exactly, all things considered, this game exceeds my expectations in the amount of time they were developing it.

There are other games out there that have been in development for longer and have been major disappointments.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. The fundamentals of the game are significantly better than Mount and Blade. Similarly the freedom that modders will have in the future far surpasses what warband mods can do.

There's balancing work to do, and there's features that can be added, but those things are relatively minor compared to the core game. They have been updating the game daily, they didn't just release it and take vacation.

Now I don't play multiplayer, but when I see complaints it's rarely about how fun the act of fighting other players is, and I think they've got a pretty good system in place, maybe still needing some tweaks, for the combat itself.

What is left is just some balancing, tuning objectives and rewards and maybe interface. That's the easiest kind of thing to build, but the hardest to get right, and the part that benefits the most from player feedback.

I guess the question is, would they have made a better game had they delayed early access until it was more complete?

The game has good fundamentals as far as I can tell and I'm interested to see what 1.1 looks like, maybe early access release was too early, but I think that starting EA forces them to work on finishing the game rather than for instance rewriting the engine yet again.

The game has good fundamentals as far as I can tell and I'm interested to see what 1.1 looks like, maybe early access release was too early, but I think that starting EA forces them to work on finishing the game rather than for instance rewriting the engine yet again.
5 more years for that atleast Kappa

I love how 90% of the community rushes them to release the game saying “we’d even just be happy with a graphical update of Warband!” then they finally accommodate and let us play the game early without all of its new features and we get these types of posts.

Agreed. It's childish and unnecessary.

If you can't be satisfied with the game in its current state while patiently waiting for all the features and bugs to be fixed, then kindly leave and wait until the full release.

To clarify, and I appreciate the response. It has been enlightening.

For those who say "why buy it" "it's your fault" and so on. I understand that. But I have faith. I have faith in the developers. But this being said a product that is 7 years out shouldn't feel this much like 7 years ago (I'll edit for the 4 years of development)*. I am not sure that's most unusual of requests... (I even acknowledged that there are most likely unlying issues with development that I don't know about. Still to me, after 4* years, just doesn't seem like an excuse, but I could be wrong).

But otherwise, I see most of your points. They are updating and seem to be going in the right direction.

I will be more positive about it. I just had to vent my frustration, I guess.

For those who say "why buy it" "it's your fault" and so on. I understand that. But I have faith. I have faith in the developers. But this being said a product that is 7 years out shouldn't feel this much like 7 years ago (I'll edit for the 4 years of development)*. I am not sure that's most unusual of requests... (I even acknowledged that there are most likely unlying issues with development that I don't know about. Still to me, after 4* years, just doesn't seem like an excuse, but I could be wrong).

But otherwise, I see most of your points. They are updating and seem to be going in the right direction.

I am happy sharing our perspective helped you out :xf-smile: I am hopeful for this game, As i was years ago.

Last edited:

A whole engine built from the ground up:
'Tis just a mod my lord

As a programmer I can appreciate how this game is a gigantic feat for a smallish studio like TaleWorlds, impressive job guys.

Sometimes when you're passionate about something it's you can't be objective about it. Why not step away from multiplayer for awhile and see if things improve.

I am a fan. A super fan. I have over 600 hours (logged on steam, more that have not been recorded) with all the mount and blade games.

That being said, Bannerlord is a disappointment. This game is a mod. This a 7 year old mod. I understand this is Early Access....but this is unacceptable. There have been such minimal improvements (to the core game)... I might as well play warband mods.

The biggest issue I have though is multiplayer...how can you have a team oriented game with NO ability to contact/guide teammates (minus a general chat that no one cares about). There is NO incentive to work together and 90% of my multiplayer games are people running in all directions doing whatever they want, and not what the team needs.

This is ridiculous... There has been barely any real development past warband....

Again, I understand I will be told that I am over-reacting and that "It's in early access, what did you expect?!".....Yeah. I know and understand all of that. But I am sick of being burned by this ****ty industry. The gaming industry doesn't care about the customer. And this is proof. This is releasing the SAME damn thing with minimal "updates"....

The features of the game will be released bit by bit throughout the Early Access. This allows the developers to test and fix features gradually.

With regards to your Multiplayer concern, maybe a proximity-based VOIP may be the way forward.

I would also like to point out that the first versions of Mount and Blade, let alone Warband, were nothing like the Warband we are used to today. Heck, take Warband without mods, it can be enjoyable in its own way but it's definitely not perfect. There's already more features in Bannerlord than in the final release of Warband, they are just... Kind of all over the place and a lil bit botched :lol:

A whole engine built from the ground up:
'Tis just a mod my lord

As a programmer I can appreciate how this game is a gigantic feat for a smallish studio like TaleWorlds, impressive job guys.
Some people make it seem like it's not MOUNT & BLADE 2 and that it should be an entirely different game. Pretty funny.

I get that it needs improvements and I agree with your thoughts on multiplayer but it’s not really “ridiculous”. Those sound like pretty easy fixes. They gave us three game modes with objectives and team based mechanics. It’s not their fault that people run around like idiots and don’t work together.

Implement a ranked mode and voice comms and those issues basically become obsolete.

Seriously.

I am very happy with this release.

I am especially happy that I'm seeing updating roll almost every day -- and they're not little updates, but they're fairly substantial with plenty of crash fixes. It's pretty clear they are focusing on core development and they're doing development "the right way" (in my opinion). Too often do I see developers just pile on content and content and content, and eventually they simply can't fix anything because it's a roaring dumpster fire.

I like what the game is already.

I am a fan. A super fan. I have over 600 hours (logged on steam, more that have not been recorded) with all the mount and blade games.

That being said, Bannerlord is a disappointment. This game is a mod. This a 7 year old mod. I understand this is Early Access....but this is unacceptable. There have been such minimal improvements (to the core game)... I might as well play warband mods.

The biggest issue I have though is multiplayer...how can you have a team oriented game with NO ability to contact/guide teammates (minus a general chat that no one cares about). There is NO incentive to work together and 90% of my multiplayer games are people running in all directions doing whatever they want, and not what the team needs.

This is ridiculous... There has been barely any real development past warband....

Again, I understand I will be told that I am over-reacting and that "It's in early access, what did you expect?!".....Yeah. I know and understand all of that. But I am sick of being burned by this ****ty industry. The gaming industry doesn't care about the customer. And this is proof. This is releasing the SAME damn thing with minimal "updates"....

I hate you :roll:
j/k ^^

But I am sick of being burned by this ****ty industry. The gaming industry doesn't care about the customer. And this is proof. This is releasing the SAME damn thing with minimal "updates"....
With regards to your thoughts of the industry:

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me"
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

etc

This isn't excusing what you believe the state of the game is (i.e. unacceptable in your eyes), this is just pointing out that despite that, perhaps you yourself can change your behaviour to minimise this happening again? You bought an Early Access game and magically expecting something different.

Maybe change your behaviour - wait for reviews, or watch Twitch streams for 24 hours to get a feel?
It won't stop what you believe is the industry in general taking the piss, but it will stop you being "burnt" by it as you'll get to see, witness, understand what the state is.

Just a thought.

i love iot. hate it and love it. I dont think I ever played warband as much as I played bannerlord now. wait: almost the exact amount of time now.

BUT: bannerlord fells better. I even got used to the fighting now. awesome.

what do not like is the way the game seems to scale.
it felt the same in warband and was the reason I got frustrated and stopped playing.

now , it seems that once you get "string" enough to finally do some real conquests (first castle, town etc) it shows that the map is really, REALLY small and distances, time etc simply doesnt matter at all.

It takes lords that you just ransomed and almost killed only a day to re-emerge with a new army. granted its mostly scrubs, but he´s back, nonetheless.

whereever you attack, you can be almost 99% sure that an army about 3-5 times the size of your troops will arrive and stop / interfere.
I have yet to be able to find a castle that has
- few defenders (less than 200)
- is not central in regards to cities and hubs
- is from the faction that I would LIKE to engage

how all of you do it, especially in realism more, is beyond me.

companion parties are useless since you cannot task them to stay with your main party.

how for gods sake do people do the stuff they do ?

its insanely frustrating. I mob the floor with any army close or slightly bigger than mine.
But there ALWAYS is the giant cluster of armies right around the corner to stop anything I was planning on doing.

My friend, you've now found what's like to play War Thunder. Two people try to win the game, the rest try to have fun dogfighting.

To me, this boils down to an issue with the game concept. Most people play WT because they like the adrenaline filled feel of dogfighting and hunting other planes down, as evidenced by the fact that this is what most players want. Even if the game gives you more points for completing objectives than for killing enemy planes. If the game objective is "bomb the enemy base", bombers are slow and boring, and protecting them is slow and boring (at least to most people), but there's a party being thrown down there at 400m altitude, with I-16 and Spitfired and Heinkels all having fun... what will you do?

What's the fun in M&B? Duels and fights. Honestly, capturing a base is not what I want from a M&B multiplayer match.

+1

Every FPS shooter with team modes has experienced this. I personally like completing the objectives sometimes but 90% of people are just there to shoot at targets that react better than bots. Usually in a match with 40 people you find the same 4-6 people around the objective and 2 are random noobs that don't even know IT is the objective.

That is why you build clans and have your own server. Random pub is what you get otherwise.

On topic- the OP isn't totally wrong but also not right. SP already has more things than WB and most of them are working somewhat- definitely bugs and tweaks needed but there is a lot of potential. If this had been released 3 years ago I would be very happy with that potential. Considering the length of development just to get here... I seriously doubt even half the potential will ever be completed.

Bannerlord will still be better than Warband but not nearly as good as it could have been with a more experienced development studio. Since TW is keeping development as in-country as possible they have some limitations. I really thought that would not be as big a deal after more than a decade in the industry since original M&B which was a surprise indie hit. I was wrong on that.

I got the game in EA for a 30% discount so I'm not mad, just vaguely disappointed and lowered my expectations a lot for another couple years once EA is over and some decent mods come along then Bannerlord will be 90% of what I hoped...I hope.

The upside is a normal development studio would never have attempted a M&B in the first place so I maybe TW can pull off the magic a 2nd time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom