This is why cavalry in captains mode is trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

As this showcases, in bannerlord captains mode, cavalry has one of the lamest charges ever. Worse than the Chinese spinoffs such as tiger knight and blood of steel.

This is due to charges having no weight to them, with units getting stuck inside enemy units, despite the enemy being light weight peasants.

It doesn't matter if you are heavy knights or not, a bunch of archers in melee mode will delete your squad. So much so that everyone in captains mode just switches to their puny butter knives when cav charges their archers.

Due to how speed works, those peasants with short swords can 1-2 shot your heavy knights not only with arrows but also their butter knives as you charge past. In these clips I had anti arrow perks but still get 1-2 shot in the head/neck by archers (Which aimbot the head area anyways).

The fix is simple. Add back knockdown to charges, just like you had in the original captains mode trailers, reduce affect that arrows and butter knives have on hitting charging cav (Only spears/pikes should 1-2 shot charging knights).

Cavalry is in such a poor state noone bothers to bring spears when archer militia with butter knives can wipe out a whole cav unit solo.

That's super weird. I don't play captain but that's not how the horse collision looks in TDM or battle or siege. When you get hit by a horse if it isn't reared by an attack it doesn't stop, you get pushed aside or knocked down

That's super weird. I don't play captain but that's not how the horse collision looks in TDM or battle or siege. When you get hit by a horse if it isn't reared by an attack it doesn't stop, you get pushed aside or knocked down
Yeah the original trailers of captains mode that happened too. They got nerfed or something shortly after release.
Edit: they do bump you but no knockdowns + by the second person you touch you are forced to a complete stop.

Yeah the original trailers of captains mode that happened too. They got nerfed or something shortly after release.
Edit: they do bump you but no knockdowns + by the second person you touch you are forced to a complete stop.
They tweaked the "physics capsule" **** on horses (and I think almost all entities) a while ago to give them less mass. If there is not a Captain Mode Multiplier for Cav mass, there should be.
Absolutely, any Light Archers can take any Light Cavalry unit in hand to hand combat and will overwhelm Heavy Cavalry if given a chance. Axe Rangers can kill anyone. Heavy Archers can decimate anyone who stops near them.
Cavalry don't really have a job to do in Captain mode except capturing flags and are harmless against the Heavy Infantry meta we've had for a year or so.
Absolutely agree Cav needs to be able to knock down better in Captain, but I think Charge damage needs to be upped in Captain Mode across the board as well. The AI is not able to do much else effectively.

I think the problem is not on the charge damage or the effectiveness of cavalry weapons, but rather of the AI and formation in captain mode, as a player you could pretty much already do what people are expecting from it.

To be more specific in one update (i don't remember which one) they increase the formation coeshion, so bots try to keep their formation while following the player i think this make both cavalry and infantry a lot slower than the player, this is more visible in DR custom servers as your number of troops is even bigger and they have problem in the small maps we currently have in the pool, this make cavalry not going at full speed like the player could reach making them unable to knock down enemy infantry and archer, if that would be changed cavalry could be usefull in melee fight even if they don't kill.

Also could be interesting if they manage to fix how cavalry AI work when given the charge command, as they tend to run around the map trying to reach a running speed to be able to couch before coming back, making them basically useless after the first charge and in need of heavy micromanage.

Back
Top Bottom