This is what was expected of Bannerlord AI to behave!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, but I'm talking about how it was in "reality" as well. Things might start out in formations and all that, then it would slowly turn into a utter chaos. A battlefield didn't turn into a mashup of people just standing around duel each other.
Historically, a formation coming apart was generally the prelude to the men inside that formation routing. People naturally huddle together for a sense of safety and security -- part of the reason why dense, deep formations were considered more resilient compared to looser, shallower ones -- so the sort of chaotic, swirling melee you see in films and on television generally sorted itself out as men either withdrew to safety or died to the last body of formed troops still standing.

Keegan's Face of Battle goes into more detail about it but that's the general thrust.

As far as Bannerlord goes though, none of that is a factor so the ideal formation is a wild cluster****, where units are free to swing away as fast as possible and get lopsided matchups.

So basically you just want one tactic... shield wall....

"Hey mate, how about we meet at that field and line up and have a good old brawl..."

Also I don't see where you assume first person role of any on the field of combat. That is more like "total war" type of combat..

wow thanks for sharing ,but this shield wall tactic in this movie is stupid

where's the archers?? why no archers in the back firing??
why no cavalry flanking enemy on the back?

they don't have any other type of weapon? like catapult or and those big arrows?

the best tatic I seen is from Gladiator, the initial battle scenes

Manor lords look so good! i would die happy if TW made formations behave like formations instead of a zerg rush, it would even improve performance if only the first 2 or so ranks actually engaged in the fight while the rest kept waiting to move forward once a comrade fell or protecting the flanks/rear from attacks.

Bannerlord severely lacks teamwork, weren't the multiple layers of AI supposed to address just that?
Our AI module is already doing this (because the ****ing vibration and pushing was driving us crazy).

Bannerlord needs a "maintain formation" option. that way players can make their own formation and when it the troops "advance" they maintain their shape

Yeah I have to agree with this one. Also I get so annoyed seeing my entire line turn just because a few horsemen have charged through the line. That is what I have cavalry for, to deal with this sort of thing. What I absolutely don't need is my entire archer line turning to fire back at maybe 10 enemy cavalry just as their infantry line decides to close in.

Also just from a visual perspective, it would be actually immersive if formations actually fought as formations at all times.

You have all kind of cultures in this game. How well did it go for the roman legions in the Teutonic forests vs Germanic tribes? oh yeah, they died with their superior tactics. That was a game changer for history as well.
Last time wasted with your ignorance but: this is proof of what I was saying. They did NOT use unit tactics in that engagement. They were caught off guard and out of formation. Do you know anything about tactics? A meandering (they were not even in combat march formation) line about 10 KM long with camp followers mixed in is NOT in formation. LOL.

The germans used local superior numbers to overcome each section. The Germans used... wait for it... wait... waaait... UNIT TACTICS.

Keep trying dude. One day you'll get it.

That battle looks boring as hell, i prefer the chaotic MnB combats.
I when I'm winning or if there isn't to much cavalry I like the chaos, but when I am outnumbered or if they have a lot of horse archer I would really like more tactical options other than "duh, every man for himself, I guess" or at the very least to stop my men from going "you see that one retreating recruit... yeah, him. every chase him down.. yeah, EVERYONE!"

Our AI module is already doing this (because the ****ing vibration and pushing was driving us crazy).
I so want to run your mod but since I am running custom troops and equipment I don't think it would play well with my current mods. Got you tagged for use for my next run through though.
Last time wasted with your ignorance but: this is proof of what I was saying. They did NOT use unit tactics in that engagement. They were caught off guard and out of formation. Do you know anything about tactics? A meandering (they were not even in combat march formation) line about 10 KM long with camp followers mixed in is NOT in formation. LOL.

The germans used local superior numbers to overcome each section. The Germans used... wait for it... wait... waaait... UNIT TACTICS.

Keep trying dude. One day you'll get it.

I agree. Roman accomplished what it accomplished because its armies were armies comprised of professional soldiers who trained and fought as an army for years at a time very much like the standing armies we have today. I think an enlistment period in the Roman army was like 10 years or something like that if I recall. During that time they trained constantly and developed some of the most effective tactics ever devised using very complex formations such as the famous testudo formation but they had many others some even encompassing the entire army and designed to draw in and break up an enemies army. However that didn't magically prevent them from making mistakes or letting their guard down.

That battle your referencing I think is The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. The Roman commander let his army get totally strung out across miles completely overextended and exhausted. From what I have read, the trail the Romans were strung out on was no more than 60 feet wide so there wasn't even room for individual centuries to get into a fighting formation much less the entire army and the German forces took the army completely by surprise, just rushing them out of the woods at close range ended up overwhelming the Roman Legions. I don't think the Germans actually used unit tactics though, it was more of a bum rush into scattered and disorganize units with no cohesive command and control. Basically the Commander made a huge mistake and paid for it with his and his soldiers lives. Actual unit level tactics on both sides, good or bad had nothing to do with it. The best I think you could say is that that Arminius had utilize a great strategy to lead the Roman armies into an ambush and thus disadvantaged by their positions, exhaustion and complete surprise, were wiped out by a relatively disorganized mob of German warriors.

Also historians all agree that in an open field battle, Roman could not be defeated by the Germans and in fact they never defeated a Roman army in a field battle to my knowledge either before or after this colossal mistake by an inept Roman commander.

Also historians all agree that in an open field battle, Roman could not be defeated by the Germans and in fact they never defeated a Roman army in a field battle to my knowledge either before or after this colossal mistake by an inept Roman commander.

Germanic was a name/label given/used by the Romans though. The tribes living inside "Germania" did look at it different with their own identity. Without Roman's being there as a common foe they would happily fight each other.

At battle of Cannae, the combined army of Carthage (African, Gallic, Celitberian) did count some 50000 men. The Roman army believed to been over 80000, and they got wiped out. It's not always about battle drills and experience, but about superior leadership as well.

I so want to run your mod but since I am running custom troops and equipment I don't think it would play well with my current mods. Got you tagged for use for my next run through though.

I agree. Roman accomplished what it accomplished because its armies were armies comprised of professional soldiers who trained and fought as an army for years at a time very much like the standing armies we have today. I think an enlistment period in the Roman army was like 10 years or something like that if I recall. During that time they trained constantly and developed some of the most effective tactics ever devised using very complex formations such as the famous testudo formation but they had many others some even encompassing the entire army and designed to draw in and break up an enemies army. However that didn't magically prevent them from making mistakes or letting their guard down.

That battle your referencing I think is The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. The Roman commander let his army get totally strung out across miles completely overextended and exhausted. From what I have read, the trail the Romans were strung out on was no more than 60 feet wide so there wasn't even room for individual centuries to get into a fighting formation much less the entire army and the German forces took the army completely by surprise, just rushing them out of the woods at close range ended up overwhelming the Roman Legions. I don't think the Germans actually used unit tactics though, it was more of a bum rush into scattered and disorganize units with no cohesive command and control. Basically the Commander made a huge mistake and paid for it with his and his soldiers lives. Actual unit level tactics on both sides, good or bad had nothing to do with it. The best I think you could say is that that Arminius had utilize a great strategy to lead the Roman armies into an ambush and thus disadvantaged by their positions, exhaustion and complete surprise, were wiped out by a relatively disorganized mob of German warriors.

You can play just with the AI module, its compatible with unit and equipment overhauls.

You have all kind of cultures in this game. How well did it go for the roman legions in the Teutonic forests vs Germanic tribes? oh yeah, they died with their superior tactics. That was a game changer for history as well.
I don't want to be that guy. But if you're referring to the Teutoburg forest, that was an ambush with the Romans out of formation.

Man that Manor Lords Dev is a warlock or something, I see people all the time shilling and fluffing it, but no release date, no demo? What's all the hype?
I don't get it.
It's a great concept, the dev is very active unlike some devs *cough *cough, and he shows actual gameplay footage as he's working on it. People have made suggestions and he has literal had a video out the next day showing what he's done so far with the suggestion and asking for feedback.

It's how game devs should be

It's a great concept, the dev is very active unlike some devs *cough *cough, and he shows actual gameplay footage as he's working on it. People have made suggestions and he has literal had a video out the next day showing what he's done so far with the suggestion and asking for feedback.

It's how game devs should be
That's cool, but TBF TW showed off some great demos and dev blogs and got us hyped for years with features we really wanted, but the actual delivery of castles and gangs n such turned out to be left behind.

Back
Top Bottom