This game sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm referring to the attitude ("Who cares? Mods'll fix it.") more than the product.

Okay, but it's [that attitude] more understandable even from that position given the game itself. A game that accounts to basically an indie game having that "okay, at least mods can fix these things" attitude from customers doesn't feel fair to me against the people saying the same thing about a much larger, far better funded game that actually should have, and could have, been able to do much better. Although I kind of agree that it pretty much started there for TW, thinking they can skate by on WB success and the work of modders...

At least for me, the frustration isn't with the game in isolation. It's a fun timewaster if you don't care about roleplay. But what makes it such an annoying experience is all the easily avoidable, really poor design decisions that I know even I could have done a better job with. There are literally hundreds of them, and I can't play the game without thinking "why the hell did they do that?" a thousand times. What makes it so annoying is that there is potential for a much less schizophrenic and grindy game than this, but with the current direction of development that is almost certainly never going to happen. 10+ years of development and some truly ingenious technical artists who managed to get 1000 vs 1000 battles at 60fps, all ruined by a campaign so poorly designed, sloppily tested and thoroughly unenjoyable that it boggles my mind.
Exactly, it's the 1000 'whys?' of the development decisions.
TBF, the same people defending the game's good reviews on steam based on the aggregate numbers alone as the counter to the OP title alone is the same argument the other way around. Context always matters, both ways.
I have much more hours in this game than any other, if that makes a game 'good' or 'worth the money' in some people's eyes, sure. For me, the game still sucks (but also not a permanent opinion - but feels that way for the past 2+ years of 'changes').
A lot of people defending this game have internalised the Early Access mindset, judging the game by what they think it will be eventually with all the overhaul mods they dream of. But nothing has fundamentally changed about the game since release and it's a pipe dream to think they'll pull out a secret gigapatch that removes all the bad design.
They are the same as those that were in EA since the beginning, just 2+ years delayed.

I have much more hours in this game than any other, if that makes a game 'good' or 'worth the money' in some people's eyes, sure.

Incidentally I often find myself putting very few hours into games I think are masterpieces. I think it's the fact that bad or mediocre games with some potential are like crack cocaine. You spend hours and hours trying to "get" that golden nugget of a game buried beneath the bad design.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate cities skylines with a kind of libidinal burning passion. It drives me mad just thinking about it. It's so ugly it actually makes me sick, has stupid grindy mechanics, and is full of idiotic DLC spam that bloats the base game. But I have some 500 odd hours in it, constantly installing mods and trying out different stuff to get closer to that perfect game that exists in my mind.

Conversely I think mdickie's School Days is an actual masterpiece, easily the most immersive RPG I've ever played, but I've barely put 20 hours in it. It's such a good game that I never feel the need to go back to it.

Incidentally I often find myself putting very few hours into games I think are masterpieces. I think it's the fact that bad or mediocre games with some potential are like crack cocaine. You spend hours and hours trying to "get" that golden nugget of a game buried beneath the bad design.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate cities skylines with a kind of libidinal burning passion. It drives me mad just thinking about it. It's so ugly it actually makes me sick, has stupid grindy mechanics, and is full of idiotic DLC spam that bloats the base game. But I have some 500 odd hours in it, constantly installing mods and trying out different stuff to get closer to that perfect game that exists in my mind.

Conversely I think mdickie's School Days is an actual masterpiece, easily the most immersive RPG I've ever played, but I've barely put 20 hours in it. It's such a good game that I never feel the need to go back to it.
The cost-to-time reasoning never really made sense; as you have to then compare it with all other 'entertainment' avenues for a less subjective answer. Ie movie theatres give you maybe 2 hours of entertainment for $15 is just as justifiable as a $15/mth netflix subscription for potentially 720 hours of entertainment. Both can suck, context/content dependent.

I remember spending 800 hours in a free arcade-like shooter because I wasn't aware there were mil-sim like games like Arma 3, because it was the closest I could get to what I really wanted. So, I definitely have been down that route before. One of the many reason why hours in a game doesn't necessarily end up reflecting enjoyment or quality of the game.

Sounds like a gaming equivalent of an earworm. Thanks for the tip, I’ll avoid it. :smile:

After my own heart. I have around the same gametime in it. I don't hate it, at all, but... I've sunk so many useless hours into it, and why? It has always been a "one-launch, one-city" for me. Always start a town from scratch. Waste literal hours trying to fix traffic and not understanding why people don't want to take the train. Get derailed by a stupid tsunami and lose everything. Give up. Repeat with a new mod.
Yet the best games in my life are those I've either finished once, or twice when I was younger. Or those I never actually finished, because then "i'd stop playing after it's done", ironically stopping playing it anyway.

Yet it is a good city building game. More of a sandbox, but still... I can't hate it because I like Gold FM. That's it. Gold FM, the sole reason why I don't hate Cities Skylines. Btw, if you like city building, do play it. It's hateful, disgusting, it's awesome.

In a personal viewpoint, a masterpiece of a game, book or movie, is that which your mind keeps going back to in a positive way, you reminisce of it with fond memories and good emotions (not just 'positive vibes', sadness can be great too). Unfortunately, most of those tend to be narratives, with clear plots and remarkable characters. Sandbox games lack that. And Bannerlord has always been in my mind, but only like "when can I do this?"... "when can I install it and do that?". I go to the library, find Bannerlord, finally install the latest update, spend weeks in the Nexus, days fixing the load order. Play a couple of hours and... "yeah, not there yet."

Oddly enough, this bout of BL playing has been my best, with 1.0.1. I finally went into my third generation with a rather interesting game world. I spent most family and companions trying to save Battania, and Caladog lived into his 90s doing crap, losing everything. Now his grandson's my liege, and all we had was Lageta. And as soon as I left it, it fell into someone else's hands.
So I've got to say the game improved a lot since EA. I've finally had a somewhat remarkable time with it. It only needed 107 mods.

Last edited:
I can't relate to playing games I dislike. CK3 was outside my wheelhouse and I have a grand total around 30 hours in it. Carrier Command 2 is another, except actually worse as far as games go, and I didn't even reach 10.

Dont get me wrong if a game just sucks and i see nothing redemptive in it, I'll play for maybe like 3 hours and ditch it. But it's those games that are so close to a "perfect" game I have in my mind that suck so many hours out of me.

Incidentally Transport Fever 2 is like everything I've ever wanted from a city builder game, and since getting it I haven't touched cities skylines even once.

It's one of the biggest frustrations that a community has ever experienced. This game had a potential, but it sucks. Devs are incompetent, the job is unfinished, the boss doesn't give a damn, and seems like no one knows what to do. <snip>
What in God’s enormous limb are you talking about? It’s the best game ever created! I waited ten years for this, skipped EA and just recently started playing it. Nothing is better than having a huge bong rip, then completely immerse myself in this perfect game…

It's one of the biggest frustrations that a community has ever experienced. This game had a potential, but it sucks. Devs are incompetent, the job is unfinished, the boss doesn't give a damn, and seems like no one knows what to do. <snip>
He is damn too right. And still, no move from TW. I don't think they are even working in the office. Its nothing but laziness. They are leaning their backs all to the modders and this sucks. A game must be full by itself it can't be like this it doesn't even accomplished its early access promises and its being 'developed' for at least 10 years and they don't even care. I am starting to think that they are just plucking the geese at this point. I better have a huge update in the beginning of next year like a christmas update at least for bugfixes. This game has the potential and a backstory use that 'please'.

Back
Top Bottom