This game should be on TW's Radar. Inspiration for dynasties system

Users who are viewing this thread

I know, it's really late for that, but I wish TW could snatch / borrow or steal some of the ideas and inspiration from this game.
Only for the their dynasty system and interaction with NPCs. It looks so much deeper and more focus on the humane side, which elevates the immersion by 100 !
If not TW, then modders ? Please... :wink:

I know many modders who are working on this or are trying to figure it out, myself included.
but its not easy, the game logic does not really support it yet and we encountered some critical bugs.

1. the system can't handle duplicate character names and gets confused, and as npc children names are picked from cultural specified lists it can lead to allot of duplicates over time and eventually save game corruption.

2. the relation and diplomacy system gets confused, especially clan inheritance.
for example if 2 partners would end up as leaders of separate clans and they get into conflicting diplomacy the game literary implodes.

that's just examples of what we got to tackle.
Im sure we will figure it out eventually and allot of progress has been made, but it will take some time.

Huh. So Civ crossed with Crusader Kings. Not a bad idea.

2. the relation and diplomacy system gets confused, especially clan inheritance.
for example if 2 partners would end up as leaders of separate clans and they get into conflicting diplomacy the game literary implodes.

You mean like how half the royalty from Russia to Spain is related in one way or another to Queen Victoria? Or every civil war from The War of the Roses to the Year of Four Emperors was fought over succession, or the lack thereof?

I could see how that would bork this game, its overcomplicated in the real world, and as Mark Twain once said 'Of course truth is stranger than fiction, fiction has to make sense."

Huh. So Civ crossed with Crusader Kings. Not a bad idea.

You mean like how half the royalty from Russia to Spain is related in one way or another to Queen Victoria? Or every civil war from The War of the Roses to the Year of Four Emperors was fought over succession, or the lack thereof?

I could see how that would bork this game, its overcomplicated in the real world, and as Mark Twain once said 'Of course truth is stranger than fiction, fiction has to make sense."

yes. Npc hate/love relations are a core part of the diplomacy system and determines allot of AI decisions.
atm Dynasties works ok if everything is kept within a single faction, but when adding defection and barters to the mix and the factions starts to become intertwined and mixed it can become very complex very fast and create some game logic loops that the game just can't handle atm,

1. the system can't handle duplicate character names and gets confused, and as npc children names are picked from cultural specified lists it can lead to allot of duplicates over time and eventually save game corruption.
Maybe a hidden random string could solve this?
Like, there could be two "Silvind DeyArromanc" in two different generations, but one is "Silvind DeyArromanc 92184357" while the other is "Silvind DeyArromanc 75697321"

Maybe a hidden random string could solve this?
Like, there could be two "Silvind DeyArromanc" in two different generations, but one is "Silvind DeyArromanc 92184357" while the other is "Silvind DeyArromanc 75697321"

What a horribly hackish way of dealing with things*. Human readable ("real") names should never, ever, in a million years be used as technically significant identifiers in any system, ever.

*which, when modding, is sometimes your only option. But still. Makes me shudder.

I know, it's really late for that, but I wish TW could snatch / borrow or steal some of the ideas and inspiration from this game.

For dynastic gameplay, I think Crusader Kings 2 is a nice example and inspiration. The game also has more than two levels of hierarchy. You can be a vassal of the emperor, and have yourself vassals that answer to you.

For dynastic gameplay, I think Crusader Kings 2 is a nice example and inspiration. The game also has more than two levels of hierarchy. You can be a vassal of the emperor, and have yourself vassals that answer to you.

Crusader Kings 2 has imho one of the best system for character personalities / relations I have seen in a game. It is really a great inspiration.

Old World is an awesome game and also in EA. EA just started 5/5. The game is fully playable and all systems are in place and implemented. TW could learn more from it than just the dynastic system.

I really dont care for the dynasty system. I didnt buy Crusader Kings when I payed for this game. Gimme Mount and Blade please.

Back
Top Bottom