There should be so many more banners per unit on the battlefield compared to what can be seen in Gamescom gameplay footages

Users who are viewing this thread

I wouldn't mind there being a bit more banners than one per captain, but 1 in 20 soldiers carrying a banner is way overkill and just plain silly.

vexillum with raise your banners does a decent job, and they use all 3 combinations of banner placement, either strapped on the unit as a "shield on back", as a shield held on hand + weapon, as a spear/lance. For small banners I think it's fine to have many, speacially the strapped ones, for massive banners than I think a single one per army should do the trick. If every formation carries a massive flag it'll clutter the FoV and that's not quite pleasant in a video-game where you need to see things.

I like the idea with the banners, correct or not, but should be choose able in options, and hen 1 banner per 30 - 50 or that should be choose able too :smile: and a ingame banner designer would be cool, and more colours please :smile:

So as someone who is part of a 12th century medieval reenactment group banners have a few uses

mostly they are to show which lords and knights retinues who is on which side so as an example lord bigpants has a pink banner which i know is on my side while lord small pants has a red banner so is my enemy (banners could have similar colours on both sides which is where the desgins on them come into play but for this example im keeping it simple) this is then used as a rally point for that lord or knights men if the battle lines break and need to reform.

lots of infantry and mounted soliders would have things called pennons on spears or lances (small banners) which again would coninside with there lord or knights heraldic banner. but a lord may only have a few main banners (usually a huge battle standerd to show who he is) and some smaller ensigns for if he has alot of men and wants to spread them out but allow them to find eachother again but you wouldnt have many of these.

also something to remember is in the period bannerlord is set there is little to no plate armour so sheilds are still the main defenceive weapon and all of them would be painted in the lords colours to show who you were with. which also means you dont need as many banners

so i think having the lords battle standered in game and maybe 1 or two banners per numberd unit in game would be about right but have lots of pennons and such dotted about

Honestly I feel like as a community, we are mostly coming back to the idea of having 1 banner per lord (+ 1 per captains if they are wanderers) and having small flags for aesthetics. Adding simple mono colour flags shouldn't be a problem since, iirc, the "banners" that are used in mods were already present in the base game files since the release.

I believe that banner carriers should be a unit you can purchase from new towns called "Bannlets". They should require linen and hardwood instead of denars to upgrade, and have a buff that removes all mounts within a 10m radius. They should have almost no armor but be completely immune to arrow and other missile fire. If one dies it should inspire every unit within 20m to instantly kill anything they touch
(obviously restricted to 2 colors and a single icon for banner for bearers, for realism)

I believe that banner carriers should be a unit you can purchase from new towns called "Bannlets". They should require linen and hardwood instead of denars to upgrade, and have a buff that removes all mounts within a 10m radius. They should have almost no armor but be completely immune to arrow and other missile fire. If one dies it should inspire every unit within 20m to instantly kill anything they touch
(obviously restricted to 2 colors and a single icon for banner for bearers, for realism)

?

I still think it should be something we could choose in the game setup, so if you dont like banners, or just want them as they are now, fine, choose that, if i like more banners i can choose that, that would be fair :smile: i do get it, people want this game as real historical as possible, well me too, but its far from historical correct, so why not banners as a chooseable thing :smile: smal, medium or big, one per unit or more i dont care :smile:

Back
Top Bottom