Resolved There seems to be a serious memory leak on 1.5.6 Beta it's obnoxious to play the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.6
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Hello,
I've sunk endless hours into 1.5.5 and the game sat at about 2.7GB RAM.
On 1.5.6 it goes to 4.5GB RAM in 30 minutes and later to 8GB, but the real nut kicker is the delays with inventory windows closing and openning etc.

Win10
Ryzen3900x
32GB RAM
B550 MotherBoard
2080TI

It is modded, but on 1.5.5 i used like 45+ Mods and here only 15 mods and it's the same mods.

Update:
Loaded the game without a single mod and started testing.
What i found out is that everytime you hit "Trade" in any town, you can see then in the "Task Manager" that the game caps 50-70MB RAM and never lets go. It keeps pushing the bar.
Just hit "Trader" then "ESC" then "Trade" and watch how your RAM is being chewed up and the game becomes unresponsive opening menus.

So it happens i'm playing a trader..

Last edited:
Hello, please let me know if you can reproduce the issue on a new campaign after manually removing the mod files and verifying the integrity of the game files.

Hello,
Yeah, i will not do it. It has been reported by other players.
I don't want to spend my personal time doing your QA's job.
I've spent enough time on this at this point, now removing the mods, verifying the cache, then installing the mods back in just so you will know to forwards this to your developers.

Maybe instead ask a QA member to test this simple thing on a vanilla client that was installed without any mods to begin with, since that is what you are working on.

Start a game, go to a city, open "Task Manager" and repeatedly click "Trade" then exit that screen and enter it again and watch the RAM capacity that is being used rise until the game becomes unbearable to play.

Hello,
Yeah, i will not do it. It has been reported by other players.
I don't want to spend my personal time doing your QA's job.
I've spent enough time on this at this point, now removing the mods, verifying the cache, then installing the mods back in just so you will know to forwards this to your developers.

Maybe instead ask a QA member to test this simple thing on a vanilla client that was installed without any mods to begin with, since that is what you are working on.

Start a game, go to a city, open "Task Manager" and repeatedly click "Trade" then exit that screen and enter it again and watch the RAM capacity that is being used rise until the game becomes unbearable to play.
Yup, i've already opened an issue on this, it's being investigated at the moment ^^

PS: linked topic https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-when-repeatedly-opening-trade-screen.436474/

Hi, i went ahead and tested this in the way you suggested using a clean, unmodded version of the game. However, I was unable to reproduce the issue which suggests that one of the mods is the root of the problem. If the issue still persists when using a clean version of native then please reach out to us again and we will investigate the issue further, but unfortunately, we will be unable to move forward with this current support request as you are using a modded version of the game. Thank you for your understanding

What about all these people?
They all lie? Use a modded client?
Honestly i don't believe that you did anything of what you claim you did.

I told you i tested it on an unmodded version after i disabled said mods which were installed via Vortex and were not pasted to replace any files.
People are reporting the same issues when they are using any menus related to:
1. Inventory
2. Town Menus
3. Delays with ssaving the game.

Your dismissive attitude, and the horrible support just lets me peacfuly decide to back off and never provide you with feeedback again.
It's your broken software product, your responsibility, and if you don't give a crap, i certainly do not.
You created this disgusting "wall" between the customers that gave you their money and now like some god damn guinea pigs need to work over time for you to just "pass" some report? Are you freaking kidding me?
It would seem because you "selectively" pass on "reports" that your team would be on point, honestly to me it seems like you do nothing.
When you do, you break something.
How about your QA department get up of their behinds and start testing simple problems that you already fixed half a year ago before pushing broken patches and forcing paying customers to test said broken patches for free on behalf of their personal free time?

It's a laughable joke that your unmodded product lacks the simplest of QoL features and people need to rely on mods to begin with.
But hey, it's an easy way out to not invest time and hard work and take responsability. Good on you.

I suggest you get your heads out of your . . . . . .
Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:
Yup, i've already opened an issue on this, it's being investigated at the moment ^^

PS: linked topic https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-when-repeatedly-opening-trade-screen.436474/

Amazing, that is from December 27th.
Thank you for dropping in and sharing otherwise as you can see, reason falls on deaf ears.
This guy here pretends like there is nothing wrong with the client.
Seems to me like some one in charge needs to line up the communication between the developers and these forum "supporters".

Hi, i went ahead and tested this in the way you suggested using a clean, unmodded version of the game. However, I was unable to reproduce the issue which suggests that one of the mods is the root of the problem. If the issue still persists when using a clean version of native then please reach out to us again and we will investigate the issue further, but unfortunately, we will be unable to move forward with this current support request as you are using a modded version of the game. Thank you for your understanding
This problem doesn`t have anything to do with mods and from what I read nothing with the hardwear either. I can play early to mid (unmodded) game 1.5.5 on very high graphic settings with my Ryzen 5 2600/RX 580 pretty smoothly, 1.5.6 is not even possible on medium settings. There has to be a huge bug in your code, maybe something related to the new (btw really weird) item order in the trade menue?

Don't shoot the messenger. Not only the method described is indeed insufficient to reproduce the issue, but it should have been reported on a unmodded game anyway. With the way the garbage collector works simply watching the ram consumption going up isn't a good enough indicator either.

To reproduce it consistently, activate cheat mode, create a new game, open and close the inventory until your game crash or Windows complains the game becomes very slow (I actually couldn't manage to make it crash).

Last edited:
Don't shoot the messenger. Not only the method described is indeed insufficient to reproduce the issue, but it should have been reported on a unmodded game anyway. With the way the garbage collector works simply watching the ram consumption going up isn't a good enough indicator either.

To reproduce it consistently, activate cheat mode, create a new game, open and close the inventory until your game crash or Windows complains the game becomes very slow (I actually couldn't manage to make it crash).
I was having this issue unmodded and I don't use cheat mode. It's a pain to spend 24+h on a save only to have it ruined by a balancing error, then get told you can't report crashes because you installed a mod to make that level grind less tedious. don't they pay people good money to look for these errors before release?

In case you didn't notice, there is a thread since 27th of December.
I've already conveyed my sentiment about the manner how reports are being handled, it isn't my job to sit here and debug their old\new issues they introduce and do not conduct sufficient testing by their QA department.

If you are willing to do that, all power to you.
Don't expect others to share your entusiasm to work for free when there are people getting paid to do this job.

So whether it is sufficient or not is irrelevant.
It is reported over and over and over again as well as on Steam, so maybe have the decency to contact your developer studio and maybe check with them?
Your QA?
Instead of dismissing the issue because i didn't serve it on a silver platter.
As well as working to improve your data collection tools and ease of access for the consumer if you want them effectively and easily helping you out with the project.

RAM consumption is a good enough indicator when the previous build never goes above 2.7GB after having sessions of 8+ hours compared to 1.5.6 that goes to 4.5GB+ after an hour.

On another note, this isn't your place to jump and defend a representative of a company that i am a customer of.
My issue is with him\her and with them as a developer and the quality of product and quality of service they provide.
If you as a customer want to defend them or praise them, create a separate thread and do just that.

In case you didn't notice, there is a thread since 27th of December.
Yes, and it's marked "in progress". Also according to their known issues list, memory leaks are being investigated. Later in one of your replies, you told uçanbiblo that you refused to test it on an unmodded game, arguing that it was already reported. So if I'm getting this right, you wrote another report knowing it was already reported and being worked on.

In any case, your game was modded, so your memory leak could have been caused by one of these mods EVEN THOUGH the game has memory leaks. Uçanbiblo, which unless I'm mistaken isn't a dev, has no way of knowing that, so asking you to reproduce it on a unmodded game is perfectly normal. You replied it isn't your job, but dealing with modded games is no one else's job.

While I do agree that at that point the link between this report and the previous one could have been made, uçanbiblo still went ahead and tested on a unmodded game, but was unable to reproduce the issue.

But that isn't too surprising in my opinion because again, and contrary to what you wrote, simply opening and closing the trade window doesn't lead to a steady increase in memory usage; some memory do get freed. Also again, the game is partially coded in C#, so there's a garbage collector, and freeing memory is a somewhat expensive process that may not happen when you expect it to happen, so the simple fact that memory consumption increase after a few cycles of opening and closing isn't a good enough indicator. The fact that the game eventually slow down to a crawl / stutter every one or two seconds is. But in my case, it takes more than half an hour of constant opening and closing a normal trade window (hence why I suggested using the cheat inventory) to reach that point. Generally speaking, you shouldn't care about how much memory your processes use, it only becomes a problem if those processes are unable to free memory when needed. Chrome is a good example, it uses a lot but is able to relinquish more than 90% of it when needed.
On another note, this isn't your place to jump and defend a representative of a company that i am a customer of.
My issue is with him\her and with them as a developer and the quality of product and quality of service they provide.
If you as a customer want to defend them or praise them, create a separate thread and do just that.
I'm not trying to defend them, my first post was to tell that your report was incomplete but that there is indeed a memory leak, and now I'm trying to explain to you why your behavior is inappropriate.

Edit because I won't make another post just for that: I'm not sure what that product and customer thing of yours has anything to do with what I said, so I'm just going to let you talk.

Last edited:
You seem to lack the ability to draw a logical conclusion from what you are reading, in case you are reading it at all.
I can already say that from what you wrote, talking to you feels like talking to a "Flat Earther".
I will lay down an explanation so you will have an idea to which direction the gravity pulls.

This is a "Product" like anything else you can purchase with your currency.

Most companies do not put their customer through such extensive report system, or a report system or procedure that will take quite a lot of their personal time. It needs to be snappy and fast while accesible to the less tech savvy customer.
A lot of comapnies have appropriate tools to report specific problems in areas they were suspecting problems will arise.
Not only that, companies will improve their data gathering tools to ease the procedure on their customers to help them identify the issue.

This product was released in a barely functional Alpha state into Steam Early Access program.
The fact that such program exists doesn't make it ethical or acceptable. Steam "Enabled" such practice, just like the customer enables companies to rip him off when he pre-orders, or pays for microtransactions.

Since a lot of people paid for said product, they already supported and invested in the company making it.
Everything beyond that is charity work.
If you can't provide easy and accesible ways to gather information to identify issues with the help of your customer, that is on you.

Most companies read a report, identify the bearings more or less and go look for the problem.
Even if a detailed report wasn't supplied, they go and do that. It's their job.

When i manufacture a mechanical part for a client and it breaks, or malfuctions, or breaks his piece of machinery.
I don't ask him to exepriment, try another one, look for the issue or the flaw.
I ask him what was done, how it was done and what was the result and suspicious behavior.
Then i go and check everything on my end, meaning measurements, the machine that was making it, and the actual final product.

If you bought a car and it broke, you take it to the mechanic and generally point him in the right direction if you are not familiar with how the mechanics of a vehicle work.
He doesn't ask you to start a trial and error.

When i purchase another software product, whether it'll be a Digital Work Station or a Modelling program.
If there is a bug, i report it and that's where the story ends.
That is why, if the manufcaturer doesn't care for his product, his obligation towards his customer. Than surely the customers don't care about it, they will just avoid it in the future. So if your answer is "Insufficient Information" well good luck then, seems like you want all of the work laid out for you.

Sitting there and expecting to be spoon fed after you took the money, is disgusting.
The fact that there are so many QoL mods and they don't add it as part of the package is also disgusting.
This product heavily relies on mods and said mods are being blamed for the product issues.

What is even more ridculous is that they have their QA department.
Which would be the first place i would drop the hammer if my client got a flawed product.

To sum it all up, for a person that came in here to educate another over the internet no less.
You have a nosey personality, which is inappropriate and i guess only acceptable in a place like the internet since it's a "Forum" and "You shared your opinion with everyone".
Even though this was a report, i was directly addressing an employee.

I'm not here to discuss anything with you, and if you want to educate someone. You can educate your loved ones.

Last edited:
Hi, I will mark the issue as resolved. If you encounter the same one in the latest version, please let me know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom