The Ultimate Introduction to Modding | Starting out? Read this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry for the Necro but WOW I am so posting a link to this on the Freelancer board. So many people say it's too hard... blah!

This topic shan't be necroed, my friend, for it cannot die! Caba'drin the Almighty has honoured it with a sticky, therefore post away, and may the For... Knowledge be ever with you and your users!
Great work on Freelancer, btw. This game needed something like that ever since the beginning. If you don't mind, I'll use it in TBS.

Something of interest!
Dawiduh has translated this topic in Romanian and posted it in their regional forum. The topic can be found here and this link is also included in the main post of this thread. Hopefully this will help native Romanian modders who are just starting out and aren't that good with English yet.

Take a deep breath and realize that the module system files, like that one, are not in the game Modules folders, but downloaded and kept separately.

thanks a lot for the tut, helped me to get python running once more.

one note tough, you might want to tell people to get the installer (www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3.msi) and not one of the other things) I had the wrong one first :p

Lumos said:
Therefore, go and grab a Python Installer from their page.
I believe I've already have. :smile:
Besides, modding isn't about following links and having stuff ready for you. You need to do stuff, and trial and error is the best way to learn. Therefore, you'll know what you want and what to look for next time, now that you've had problems with downloading Gzipped tarballs or whatever it was, while if I'd given you the link, you'd face the same problem next time.
Logical, no? :grin:

Ok, I realise what I'm about to say may sound asinineand pointless, but still, I just want to make sure I haven't messed anything up/wo't mess anything up

1 - The Mod System and Mod Data folders are both just sitting on my desktop. Are they supposed to be there, or should they be dragged somewhere else?

2 - Python was installed into C / Program files, but in the environmental variable path, it was written in (by default) as being in C / Program Files (x86). Because where the Python folder was and where the variable path said it was differed, I just dragged the folder into Program Files (x86). This was the right thing to do, right?

3 - At the "and where is the modding step?" when you have to copy your Native folder, it talks about using your Mount And Blade folder - what if you're trying to mod warband? Is it the case that only M&B should be used, as map editing and the like doesn't work for Warband, as I've heard? Or is it perfectly fine to do the same in the Warband modules folder, and likewise all aspects of modding work fine for Warband?

Like I said, I realise these questions may seem like I'm overthinking things, but I just don't want to make sure that I get everything right as I go along. Thanks.

Aenima said:
1 - The Mod System and Mod Data folders are both just sitting on my desktop. Are they supposed to be there, or should they be dragged somewhere else?
I don't think it matters where you put your MS folders, as long as you can get to them easily and as long as they're not someplace where the computer's security firewall, etc, might get in the way.

Aenima said:
3 - At the "and where is the modding step?" when you have to copy your Native folder, it talks about using your Mount And Blade folder - what if you're trying to mod warband? Is it the case that only M&B should be used, as map editing and the like doesn't work for Warband, as I've heard? Or is it perfectly fine to do the same in the Warband modules folder, and likewise all aspects of modding work fine for Warband?
:roll: As long as you make sure to use the Warband MS instead of the old M&B MS, you should be fine. IIRC, WB and the old M&B (except for the very early versions) have pretty much the same file/folder system, so as far as that is concerned, the instructions should work fine for both games.

Aenima said:
Besides, the picture that is linked to this step shows you that I'm using Warband in the example. :wink:

I followed all instructions up until the point where I was supposed to double-click build_module.ba. I did so and I got a bunch of errors but that's not the problem. The problem is I tried using Eclipse (I use it for uni) but it didn't work. Word for word this is what the error message said (without quotation marks):

"A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit(JDK) must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations:
C:\Users\Main User\Desktop\Prog. Software\eclispe\jre\bin\javaw.exe javaw.exe in your current PATH"

My computer only has one user called Main User. I access eclipse.exe from a folder in my desktop. Before I followed your instructions Eclipse always worked fine. I can't remember what was stored in Path before I swapped it with ;C:razz:ython27\ and I didn't copy+paste it elsewhere because I didn't think it would be relevant.

Please help as I need Eclipse to work for uni and especially now since I need to do an assignment.

You probably messed up your PATH environment variable. Instead of adding the Python path, you probably replaced all paths with just the Python path.
Best do a system restore and follow instructions to the letter the next time. There's no room for error.

Just reread the instruction and I saw what I did wrong.  How do I initiate a system restore and what would it actually do? As in how will my programs, save files etc. be affected?

killer110 said:
Just reread the instruction and I saw what I did wrong.  How do I initiate a system restore and what would it actually do? As in how will my programs, save files etc. be affected?

Add this to the global PATH variable, that should do the trick:
Code:
;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin

If not, just reinstall Java. If you installed Java in other folder, just find it and use that instead.
Your PATH now should look like this:
Code:
C:Python27\;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin

Be more cautious the next time, and read the instructions more thoroughly.

I looked up javaw in the search bar in the start menu. I opened up the file location of the first thing that came up which was javaw.exe. Hypothetically, if I set the path to C:\Windows\System32, would my computer break?

Back
Top Bottom