The Text Refreshment Mod 0.963b - Updated January 26th, 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Important: The Text Refreshment Mod is not yet updated to Brytenwalda version 1.332, expect the next version in 1.334.

This subordinate-mod mainly aims at correcting broken english in the mod (among other things).

Brytenwalda is a great period peace, in the place and time where Native Warband probably should have been set... but the text in the English version leaves a bit to be desired.

I created this Text Refreshment mod with the full understanding that the developers have much more important things to spend their time on in the mod.

Change-log:

Version 0.963b:
Requirements Update: As of this version you now need to back-up your parties.txt file before installation.

A small update that includes the accidentally left-out parties.txt. Fixes some capitalization irregularities for training camps.

A couple of quests had their english broadened.

Fixed a small bug in one of the optional files.

Version 0.96b:
Requirements Update: As of this version you now need to back-up your factions.txt file before installation.

The 'Game Concepts' Page has had a large overhaul. The timeline is now split into three pieces and starts from 588 with several more historical stops and several expanded stops on the way to the year (and game start) 636.

The Game Concepts page now features a title reference point page known as 'Dark Age Titles' which gives a run-down of all the titles in the game and what they are.

The Game Concepts page now features a page detailing the land divisions of Anglo-Saxon territory to give a better understanding of how these dark age fiefdoms worked. The 'Court' game concepts page now shines some light into the men of noble, ducal and royal courts.

When choosing one's sovereignty, instead of seeing several references to 'Briton', you will see more accurate Brittonic sub-cultures for the faction you are actually choosing. The troop tree remains unchanged, your culture (and that of faction lords) are just called something else. Currently there are the Cornish in Dummonia and Glastenic, the Cymyr (Welsh) in Wales, the Cumbric culture in Northern and Lower Scotland, Gaelic in Ynys Manaw (still has the Briton tree) and Scottish Gaelic in Dal Riata (still has the Irish troop tree). Hwicce and Pengwern remain as 'Briton', mainly due to their eastwardness from the Cymyr sovereignties, though likely heavily influenced by their culture, they would have been more of a mix of Brittonic cultures that were forced west by the Angles and Saxons.

It is important to note that 'Briton' is a generic term, and a Briton can also be Cumbric, Cornish or Cymyr... so while you cannot specifically choose those at character creation, choosing 'Briton' is warrant enough that you can be any one of them of your choosing, or none of them, from an immersive stand-point.

Updated the text in the game to now appropriately feature the Mod's faction name system. In native nation names always had their government in the name, Kingdom, Khanate and so on.. so when referenced in text, a 'the' was needed before each nation reference. In Brytenwalda, it is just the name of the Kingdom or Dryhtendom without 'Kingdom' or 'Dryhtendom' in the name and so on and so forth (which I kind of like better). So 'the Bernacia' was a little odd, this is now corrected. You should take this into account when you name your sovereignty.

Renamed the 'Commoners' faction to 'Independent Sovereignties' as I have seen rebel lords conquer in their own name, and 'Commoners' was the name of their faction on the map. Only useful to new games. Sorry.

Fixed several quest related conversation and dialogue lines which featured broken English.

Squashed several more sporadic occurrences of broken-English.

Added an optional download that features changes to the names of parties and items and troops. It is optional because in-addition to the regular text changes of broken-English and grammatical/capitalization errors there are several non text related changes.

Optional Files Change-list:

Fixed the names of several parties which had non-capitalized letters where there should have been.

Fixed several items which had non-capitalized letters where there should have been.

Fixed several items which had the order of words wrong (broken-English).

Faction Lords now hire mercenaries to pad their numbers.

Faction Lords now recruit spies and scouts, which give them some pathfinding and spotting skill.

Faction Lords now have women in their employ. These represent slaves, servants, family and wives of soldiers who follow their husband to whom they are dependent.

Patrols are now led by a Captain and have a few scouts to aid their troll of the land. The captain is an elite with no special stats (compared to other elites) and is more expensive than the average elite footmen.

Manhunters are now led by a Slaver Chief automatically, they also have Slaver Hunters and Drivers. Hunters now have tracking, spotting and pathfinding skills. The latter only useful in new games, sorry.

Merchant caravans now have on occasion a couple of townsmen and a peasant woman or two, they represent hired non-militant help and or potential family of mercenaries or the caravan master himself.

Merchant caravans now hire a scout to aid them on their journeys and to navigate the local terrain.

A few household retainers had their equipment changed to be a bit more accurate of their status and rank. Your constable should wear normal noble clothing instead of a lorica, which would have been brought out mostly just for battle, or a special set of stylish lorica for ceremonies. Otherwise, fine cloth was the norm.

Banners have been adjusted to fit their animation (spear thrust), weapon reach has been shortened to be only the extension of their fists (roughly 30). This makes them a bit easier to wield by the AI. The thrust damage has been increased to 12, and changed to blunt. Now when companions use them they are not completely screwed.

Important Notes for Optional Files:

If you are going to use the party_templates.txt you have to use the troops.txt file. It adds two new troops. If you use the troops.txt file and later wish to uninstall, it will break your saved game because the troops file will be two troops short. You can just copy and paste the two troops added the end of my troops.txt file to your back-up Brytenwalda file, and increase the number under 'file version' in your troops.txt by two. The troops will not be featured in-game and you can go about your save with no issues.

Changes to party names in saved games will take place only to parties generated after the optional mod files are installed.

Version 0.94b:
Made compatible with Brytenwalda 1.331.

Touched up the new text in Brytenwalda 1.331.

Refined some text in a few quests.

Other sporadic fixes to broken-English.

Version 0.93b:
Corrected more text in the Britannia Treasures quest.

Corrected Cado's dialogue. He speaks fluently now.

A few more tweaks to the text within the religion system which featured broken-English.

Revised the prologue merchant's dialogue to be less odd.

Corrected more text in companion back-stories.

Special item properties now feature fluent English.

Replaced several occurrences of 'Bye' with 'Goodbye'.

Minor punctuation and grammar fixes.

Other sporadic reduction of broken-English.

Version 0.92b:
Requirements Update: You now must back-up your quests.txt file as of this version before installation.

The 'Brittania Treasures' quest is now legible.

Several companion back-stories have had their broken-English fixed.

A few mercenary hire dialogues have been tweaked to be more fluent in English.

The text for the Bounty Hunter quests have had a few text anomalies squashed.

The religion system text has had a few more touch-ups.

A handful more of instances where 'Kingdom' and 'King' referred to someone or something that may not be a King or a Kingdom have been altered to refer to a 'sovereign,' 'sovereignty,' 'land', 'realm' or 'ruler' accordingly.

A few occasions where 'troops' seemed an off term were changed to 'men', 'soldiers' and so on.

Minor grammar and punctuation improvements here and there to dialogue and menu text.

Other sporadic corrections of broken-English.

All changes are save-game compatible.

Features:
Dialogue in the Prologue with the merchant, childhood/background story choices which featured several instances of broken English have been fixed.

Several odd NPC Dialogues in the game now make more sense.

The text related to the new religion system has had a massive touch-up and features much more fluent English.

The Info Page on the 'Dark Ages Battle System' is now legible and much better organized.

A few instances of odd menu text have been altered.

Several other touch-ups to the English in the game.

Immersive Changes:

The player's dialogue to his servants (as a sovereign lord) will feature less groveling.

Several instances of the words 'Kingdom' and 'King' where it could be referring to someone or something that is not a King or a Kingdom (even when localised to the native language) have been altered to refer to a 'sovereign,' 'sovereignty,' 'land', 'realm' or 'ruler' accordingly.

Changed default player kingdom's 'suggested' name to “Dryhtendom of (playername)”, to emphasize your entry to the lowest partition of the noble totem pole. It remains fully customizable, 'tis only a suggestion.

A handful of the meta-menu game/mod options in-game have had slight tweaks to make them stick out less.

A few comma's that unnaturally slowed down the flow of developing text have been removed.

Several other small changes with intent to improve immersion.

Requirements:
You will need an English version of Brytenwalda 1.331.

It is also highly recommended that you back-up of the text files in your Modules\Brytenwalda 1.331 folder to easily uninstall the mod if needed.

The text files you should back-up are:

Parties.txt
Factions.txt
Quests.txt
Conversation.txt
Strings.txt
Info_Pages.txt
Menus.txt
Quick_Strings.txt

And if use the optional files:
ItemKinds1.txt
Party_Templates.txt
Troops.txt

Installation:
Unzip/UnRAR into your Modules\Brytenwalda 1.331  folder and click 'yes' when it asks to overwrite. The same goes for the optional files.

Un-installation:
Copy and paste the back-ups of these files into your Modules\Brytenwalda 1.331 folder and click 'yes' when it asks to overwrite:

Parties.txt
Factions.txt
Quests.txt
Conversation.txt
Strings.txt
Info_Pages.txt
Menus.txt
Quick_Strings.txt

And if use the optional files:

ItemKinds1.txt
Party_Templates.txt
Troops.txt

Optional File Notes:

If you are going to use the party_templates.txt you have to use the troops.txt file. It adds two new troops. If you use the troops.txt file and later wish to uninstall, it will break your saved game because the troops file will be two troops short. You can just copy and paste the two troops added the end of my troops.txt file to your native Brytenwalda file, and increase the number under 'file version' in that troops.txt by two. The troops will not be featured in-game and you can go about your save with no issues.

Download:
Text Refreshment Mod 0.963b for Brytenwalda
Optional Files 0.963b (see un-installation section for important details)

Planned Features:
Finding and squashing/finishing more text anomalies.
Rooting out broken English in the mod.

Notes:

Credits:
The Brytenwalda team.

Suggestions (such as text you want fixed), bug-reports and ideas are welcome.

Very well done, I was myself just about to start a project such as this, as the text errors have kept me from playing Brytenwalda - needless for me to do so now.

Again, good job.

Mod updated.

Version 0.92b:
The 'Brittania Treasures' quest is now legible.

Several companion back-stories have had their broken-English fixed.

A few mercenary hire dialogues have been tweaked to be more fluent in English.

The text for the Bounty Hunter quests have had a few text anomalies squashed.

The religion system text has had a few more touch-ups.

A handful more of instances where 'Kingdom' and 'King' referred to someone or something that may not be a King or a Kingdom have been altered to refer to a 'sovereign,' 'sovereignty,' 'land', 'realm' or 'ruler' accordingly.

A few occasions where 'troops' seemed an off term were changed to 'men', 'soldiers' and so on.

Minor grammar and punctuation improvements here and there to dialogue and menu text.

Other sporadic corrections of broken-English.

Requirements Update:

You now must also back-up your quests.txt file as of this version.

Idibil said:
I have look this before 1.331 patch.

I add your patch to main post now.

Awesome.

Adorno said:
That is much appreciated. Must have taken a long time.

Not a lot, since it is not finished and all the text anomalies are not squashed. I fix them as I find them mostly. So, if you notice any even with my mod installed... let me know.

Cozur said:
Very well done, I was myself just about to start a project such as this, as the text errors have kept me from playing Brytenwalda - needless for me to do so now.

Again, good job.

If you notice anything still on the docket you had planned to fix and I did not, let me know.

Well one thing that stands out to me is the starting conversation with the merchant:

"I have come to stay. My destiny lies here in Britannia and Hibernia. Run away, merchant, but I stay here, where I truly belong."

Seems overly dramatic, it being a conversation with a merchant and such.

"You are a coward, a scite. Stay away from my sight."

Again, the man your character is talking to is a merchant. Him going to Alexandria or Constantinople instead of staying in Brittania is hardly an act of cowardice, makes rather good sense really.

"Oh, I understand, you are a "brave", let me help you. Now you let go and good luck."

Bit huh on this, change it to: Oh, I understand, let me help you in your endeavors. Good luck.

"Thanks you. Long live!"

Plain broken english: Thank you. May you live a long and happy life.

When talking with the tavern keepers, you have an option to pay 50 scillingas for armour information.
If this is not to your liking, you can quit the conversation by saying: You are a rat! Bye.

Seems pretty wild - should be changed to: No thanks.

Or something like that.

Also, Bishop Paulinus in Centware got some pretty dodgy dialog.

All the references to forum members should be removed, it's wildly annoying, and not to mention somewhat arrogant to be constantly told who designed the mod.

Cozur said:
"I have come to stay. My destiny lies here in Britannia and Hibernia. Run away, merchant, but I stay here, where I truly belong."

Seems overly dramatic, it being a conversation with a merchant and such.

I agree, however that line, in my mod, should already read a bit differently. Pulled from the text file:

"I have come to stay. My destiny lays here in Britannia and Hibernia. Run away, -you grab his arm- 'merchant', but I stay here, where I truly belong."

I added the quotes around the merchant to fit better (as if your character emphasizes the word) to make 'brave' fit better in the merchant's response where the merchant does the same. The merchant also gives you gold more out of fear than respect this way.

How about this, though:

"I am here to stay, Merchant. It is wrong to think that misfortunes come from the west or from the east. They originate within one's own mind."

Cozur said:
"You are a coward, a scite. Stay away from my sight."

Again, the man your character is talking to is a merchant. Him going to Alexandria or Constantinople instead of staying in Brittania is hardly an act of cowardice, makes rather good sense really.

Well, the times were a bit different back then. The privilege of coming and going as you pleased was not around for everyone... merchants could do this, but one saying bad things about the country, it's people and it's future as he left would garner a bit of anger from a local.

Especially if the merchant was born in that place too, which then could add treasonous behavior to the list of things to be mad about. Also merchants tend to return to their homeland eventually, assuming the merchant is native to Britannia or Hibernia, here he promotes never returning and that would be more unusual.

But I agree about the 'coward' comment. How about:

"You insult all of Brittannia, and Hibernia... you scite! You would do well to leave, because I will return... and you had better not still be here."

Cozur said:
Oh, I understand, you are a "brave", let me help you. Now you let go and good luck."

Bit huh on this, change it to: Oh, I understand, let me help you in your endeavors. Good luck.

I thought 'huh' as well when I read that. I put some quotes around brave to make it sound more natural but that was just a quick fix. I like your idea, but what abou this (to go along with my previous suggestion above):

"Oh? Yes... that is very wise. -His face grows long as he contemplates your words.- You are brave too, I can see. Let me help you. -He hands you a small bag of silver.- Now you get out of here, I have work to do. Good luck stranger..."

Cozur said:
"Thanks you. Long live!"

Plain broken english: Thank you. May you live a long and happy life.

That is fixed in my mod. It now says 'Thank you. Live long.'

However, a better one for the next version (in my opinion) would be:

"Thank you, friend. Fair travels to you."

Cozur said:
When talking with the tavern keepers, you have an option to pay 50 scillingas for armour information.
If this is not to your liking, you can quit the conversation by saying: You are a rat! Bye.

Seems pretty wild - should be changed to: No thanks.

Or something like that.

Also, Bishop Paulinus in Centware got some pretty dodgy dialog.

All the references to forum members should be removed, it's wildly annoying, and not to mention somewhat arrogant to be constantly told who designed the mod.

I like the first-one. Except for the 'Bye!' which will be changed in the next version.

The second one I believe I have fixed. Give me a specific example of the bad dialogue and I will know for sure or be able to fix it more easily if I have not gotten to it yet.

I'll be starting my exam tommorow, so sadly won't have time to play Brytenwalda.

However, once I've got some free time, I'll just write down any oddities I find in the game and update them here.

Idibil said:
This is actually (15/01/2011) for 1.33 version of Brytenwalda. If you have download 1.331, it isnt compatible and you cannt play.

A compatible version/upgrade of Text Refreshment for 1.331 will take a bit longer considering how my schedule looks for the next four days. Bear with me!

Really, you will have change few thing, problem is that we have add 1 new string and player can have crash with old.

My suggestion is that you use "compare it" program, then merge differences and you have it ready in 5 minutes  :lol:
http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp3.htm

Idibil said:
Really, you will have change few thing, problem is that we have add 1 new string and player can have crash with old.

My suggestion is that you use "compare it" program, then merge differences and you have it ready in 5 minutes  :lol:
http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp3.htm

Hmm... from what I have seen so far it it will take a bit longer than that. I see a few added lines here and there (and some redacted), but also a lot of small edits across dozens and dozens of lines that cross with dozens of small edits I have made and frequently on the same lines in multiple large text files. Do-able, of course, it will just take a bit longer than five minutes (a few hours or so).

Love what you're doing!

Took your latest release for a ride, and while talking to a Priest to convert from my evil pagan ways, the text he rattles has a few spacing errors at some places. Mostly after the comma!

A small minor thing though! :wink:

Other than that...grammar on!  :eek:

Back
Top Bottom