The Text Refreshment Mod 0.963b - Updated January 26th, 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Hister said:
Oh you value humans to high - often it is precisely "waiting for others to do it" philosophy that impedes the progress. I mean I haven't even bothered to check in what files does the text reside and how easy or though it is to fix it. Sure, those whose mother tongue is not English (or those who don't master the language excellently enough) can't embark on this mission but all others older then 12 years old (just provisional age - some could do it earlier some later he he) can do it.

You're forgetting that not everyone has the time besides the skills, that is why good modders are so well appreciated.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass. There's three files, all of which are huge and accessed through Notepad or a comparable .txt editor. There's several thousand lines, organized in a bit of a jumble, which makes it difficult to find text for various NPCs (who have different coding names than what their names actually are in-game) and then edit it. Shaxx was intending to add more backstory to the characters and improve their dialogues on a literary bend, rather than a purely technical approach via correcting only the "Engrish" grammar and spelling errors. This is difficult since if you mess up the formatting when you add more lines (if you do) it breaks the system.

Ah thanx for the clarifications. It sounds like a regular modding task to me though, nothing more complicated then usual modding tasks. In Total War modding you would for example make a one letter typo and the game would crash. I've changed thousands of text lines and added hundreds of new lines and the mod works as designed so I suppose it's nothing so compllicated that the seasoned modder wouldn't be able to tackle.

Gasket, it's more the matter of will and enthusiasm then one not having time for that - if you have time for playing the game then you ought to have time for modding to :grin:

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
@ Hister, is your name referencing the "prediction" Nostradamus made supposedly about Hitler?

Nostradamus is interesting if not bizarre but I would be more interested in his prediction of the third Antichrist than second, but maybe that's just me . . .

'Hister' is Latin for Danube as in the river though.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
ah, didn't know that. Thanks :razz:

As for Nostradamus, he is extremely bizarre, but as human nature goes I am compelled by the bizarre.

Exactly, even when confronted with nonsense we find ourselves often wishing it was true.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
@ Hister, is your name referencing the "prediction" Nostradamus made supposedly about Hitler?

Interesting - this is the second time I was asked that.

Histri were people who were living in present day Istria (Slovenia, Croatia) and engaged with Romans. They were known for their piracy and it's awesome to visit the remnants of their settlements whose massive wall remains are still visible on many hilltops. They managed to kick some Roman ass but were as the legend goes slaughtered by Romans when their army was caught drunk after the first Roman legion was destroyed by them. Since I moved to Istria in Slovenia and like their story I decided to give myyself this nick name.

You can read more about them here:

The name is derived from the Illyrian tribe of the Histri (Greek: Ιστρών έθνος), which Strabo refers to as living in the region. The Histri are classified in some sources as a "Venetic" Illyrian tribe, with certain linguistic differences from other Illyrians.[4] The Romans described the Histri as a fierce tribe of pirates, protected by the difficult navigation of their rocky coasts. It took two military campaigns for the Romans to finally subdue them in 177 BCE. The region was then called together with the Venetian part the X. Roman Region of "Venetia et Histria". Per ancient definition the north-eastern border of Italy. Dante Alighieri refers to it as well, the eastern border of Italy per ancient definition is the river Arsia (Raša). The eastern side of this river was settled by the people whose culture was different to Histrian. Earlier influence of the Iapodes was attested there, while in some moment between the 4th century and the 1st BC, the Liburnians extended their territory and it became a part of Liburnia.[5] On the northern side, Histria went much further north and included the Italian city of Trieste and the region of Venezia-Julia. Today, Trieste and Venezia-Julia are not included in Istria for political reasons.
Some scholars speculate that the names Histri and Istria are related to the Latin name Hister, or Danube. Ancient folktales reported—inaccurately—that the Danube split in two or "bifurcated" and came to the sea near Trieste as well as at the Black Sea. The story of the "Bifurcation of the Danube" is part of the Argonaut legend. There is also a suspected link (but no historical documentation is available) to the commune of Istria in Constanţa, Romania.

Back
Top Bottom