The Text Refreshment Mod 0.963b - Updated January 26th, 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Mod Updated.

Version 0.96b:
Requirements Update: As of this version you now need to back-up your factions.txt file before installation.

The 'Game Concepts' Page has had a large overhaul. The timeline is now split into three pieces and starts from 588 with several more historical stops and several expanded stops on the way to the year (and game start) 636.

The Game Concepts page now features a title reference point page known as 'Dark Age Titles' which gives a run-down of all the titles in the game and what they are.

The Game Concepts page now features a page detailing the land divisions of Anglo-Saxon territory to give a better understanding of how these dark age fiefdoms worked. The 'Court' game concepts page now shines some light into the men of noble, ducal and royal courts.

When choosing one's sovereignty, instead of seeing several references to 'Briton', you will see more accurate Brittonic sub-cultures for the faction you are actually choosing. The troop tree remains unchanged, your culture is just called something else. Currently there are the Cornish in Dummonia and Glastenic, the Cymyr (Welsh) in Wales, the Cumbric culture in Northern and Lower Scotland, Gaelic in Ynys Manaw (still has the Briton tree) and Scottish Gaelic in Dal Riata (still has the Irish troop tree).

Updated the text in the game to now appropriately feature the Mod's faction name system. In native nation names always had their government in the name, Kingdom, Khanate and so on.. so when referenced in text, a 'the' was needed before each nation reference. In Brytenwalda, it is just the name of the Kingdom or Dryhtendom without 'Kingdom' or 'Dryhtendom' in the name and so on and so forth (which I kind of like better). So 'the Bernacia' was a little odd, this is now corrected. You should take this into account when you name your sovereignty.

Renamed the 'Commoners' faction to 'Independent Sovereignties' as I have seen rebel lords conquer in their own name, and 'Commoners' was the name of their faction on the map. Only useful to new games. Sorry.

Fixed several quest related conversation and dialogue lines which featured broken English.

Squashed several more sporadic occurrences of broken-English.

An optional download has been added that features changes to the names of parties and items and troops. It is optional because in-addition to the regular text changes of broken-English and grammatical/capitalization errors there are several non text related changes.

Optional Files Change-list:

Fixed the names of several parties which had non-capitalized letters where there should have been.

Fixed several items which had non-capitalized letters where there should have been.

Fixed several items which had the order of words wrong (broken-English).

Faction Lords now hire mercenaries to pad their numbers.

Faction Lords now recruit spies and scouts, which give them some pathfinding and spotting skill.

Faction Lords now have women in their employ. These represent slaves, servants, family and wives of soldiers who follow their husband to whom they are dependent.

Patrols are now led by a Captain and have a few scouts to aid their troll of the land. The captain is an elite with no special stats (compared to other elites) and is more expensive than the average elite footmen.

Manhunters are now led by a Slaver Chief automatically, they also have Slaver Hunters and Drivers. Hunters now have tracking, spotting and pathfinding skills.

Merchant caravans now have on occasion a couple of townsmen and a peasant woman or two, they represent hired non-militant help and or potential family of mercenaries or the caravan master himself.

Merchant caravans now hire a scout to aid them on their journeys and to navigate the local terrain.

A few household retainers had their equipment changed to be a bit more accurate of their status and rank. Your constable should wear normal noble clothing instead of a lorica, which would have been brought out mostly just for battle, or a special set of stylish lorica for ceremonies. Otherwise, fine cloth was the norm.

Banners have been adjusted to fit their animation (spear thrust), weapon reach has been shortened to be only the extension of their fists (roughly 30). This makes them a bit easier to wield by the AI. The thrust damage has been increased to 12, and changed to blunt. Now when companions use them they are not completely screwed.

Important Notes for Optional Files:

If you are going to use the party_templates.txt you have to use the troops.txt file. It adds two new troops. If you use the troops.txt file and later wish to uninstall, it will break your saved game because the troops file will be two troops short. You can just copy and paste the two troops added the end of my troops.txt file to your native file, and increase the number under 'file version' in your troops.txt by two. The troops will not be featured in-game and you can go about your save with no issues.

Changes to party names in saved games will take place only to parties generated after the optional mod files are installed.

NoKnight said:
Love what you're doing!

Took your latest release for a ride, and while talking to a Priest to convert from my evil pagan ways, the text he rattles has a few spacing errors at some places. Mostly after the comma!

A small minor thing though! :wink:

Other than that...grammar on!  :eek:

I will look into this.

Mod Updated.

Version 0.963b:
Requirements Update: As of this version you now need to back-up your parties.txt file before installation.

A small update that includes the accidentally left-out parties.txt. Fixes some capitalization irregularities for training camps.

A couple of quests had their english broadened.

Fixed a small bug in one of the optional files.

Csatádi said:
Thanks

Edit:
Your text files caused many broken texts in my saved game.

How odd... can you give me an example of how they were broken, or a screenshot?

What version do/did you have of the Text Refreshment Mod when this happened? What is your Brytenwalda version? Do you have any other personal modifications or sub-mods installed?

Did you install the optional files?

1.331 and your Public Beta 0.963b

Not suitable texts in many places. I don't tested all but for example I often got a blue "Dismiss" message when leaving a settlement and the tech tree was a complete mess. There are not suitable texts instead of faction names and in the background.
After seeing this I quit.
You used more entries in the info pages than 1.331 does and maybe this is the problem. I didn't try it.

I didn't used your optional pack because I didn't want a new game.

No other submods.

Edit:
I just discovered between the topics a clean mod install is needed for 1.331. I overwrote my 1.33. Maybe this is the source of the bugs.

Csatádi said:
Edit:
I just discovered between the topics a clean mod install is needed for 1.331. I overwrote my 1.33. Maybe this is the source of the bugs.

Well, let me know if a clean install fixes the problem with your game. I have not encountered any of these errors myself despite trying.

Does anyone have a non-megaupload link to this file? I'm at University at the moment and someone else in my dorm is downloading something, and megaupload is not letting me download the file.

This looks really good.  About to try Brytenwalda for the first time since sometime in 2010, when the very broken English was kind of a turn off for me.

Question:  Can I start a new game of 1.332 now, and then when the updated version of this text replacement comes out (any moment now, right :smile: ?) can i replace the files?  Or will I need to start a new game?

It has been a while now - can we still expect to see updated text fix for the newest Brytenwalda version?

Back
Top Bottom