The Taleworlds Travel Advisory

Users who are viewing this thread

What are you looking for? City tourism or countryside stuff?
Brazilian beaches are obviously 100x better. But we have nice places like Bariloche, (Obama went there); the northern, andean provinces (little towns like Tilcara, Humahuaca, Purmarca, Iruya) the Iguazu falls, the Valle de la Luna (Ischigualasto), Calafate and other Patagonian places I honestly have no idea about. and other minor attractions I guess. Interesting cities might be Buenos Aires (No idea about what goes on there tbh) and Cordoba, which also has a nice countryside (and some jesuitic/colonial buildings). Note that these cities have some ugly slums around them.

<3 u harky

kurczak said:
Is crime really that bad in Brazil? Like what exactly are the risks and odds? Getting mugged? Kidnapped? Just plain stabbed for lols?

From what I've heard, if you go to Rio, getting mugged is an eventuality, not a possibility.

It is far worse than you think, yes. Getting mugged often comes with a complimentary stabbing, haven't heard of people known to me getting kidnapped but there's some ****ed up ****. Once, a couple that was friends with my parents were driving around, and as they take a turn into a more secondary route. The road had 2 cars sort of blocking the path but leaving enough space, and shady looking guys, and the driver saw one with a gun, so he sped through the middle on instinct, clearly this caught the criminals by surprise but still they fired towards the car several times and hit his wife in the left arm and right shoulder, shattered glass obviously, left some nice holes in the car, etc. They rushed straight to the hospital and eventually she was okay luckily.

When my mother visited Rio years ago, she remembers passing through an Avenue, getting to her hotel room, and literally 10 minutes afterwards when she turned on the TV on those 24 hour news type things a shootout between drug dealers and the police was happening live right in the Avenue she had been in.

So yeah. That's the kind of crap I did in GTA as a teenager to hijack cool cars.

crodio said:
What are you looking for? City tourism or countryside stuff?
A little column A, a little column B. I would have about 3 or 4 weeks so there would be time for both. I definitely want to see some cities, but am not against something like renting a cabin for a few days and do some light hiking, nothing crazy, let's keep that under 3000 m above sea level. Or just a road trip through the country. Really, almost anything goes.

Harkon: ok, well, I don't necessarily have to see Rio, what about the rest of the country crime-wise? I would very much like to see the capital if go with Brazil.

Come on :smile: Isn't this kinda like when British people think all America is straight outta Compton?

On an unrelated people, do you Latinos do open air-museums/skansens? If so, are there any dedicated to the Jesuit reductions?

kurczak said:
Come on :smile: Isn't this kinda like when British people think all America is straight outta Compton?
I'm actually baffled this surprises you or raises skepticism, thought of you a bit more educated! Anyway, I'm sure the actual Brazilians here can and won't hesitate to tell you even worse things. I mean, a friend of mine left Brazil with his family because it was common for them to hear gunshots nearby in their own home, hell, bullet holes in the walls and crap. Also people flocking out of malls at 10pm at the latest because the later it is, the higher the chance of a carjacking or getting lethally mugged..

I'm ready and willing to believe it's true or even 10 times worse for (large) parts of the big cities, but for an entire 200 mil country? Obviously I'm not going to walk into the slums and "go hey angry, poor people, look at my pale white skin and shiny watch and stilettos, wanna rob and/or rape me?" or anything like that.

In my better days, I visited Mumbai and Dhaka and managed to not get mugged. I got scammed a lot, true, especially by those tricky children with their big brown eyes and pointy collar bones, but that was it.

kurczak said:
In my better days, I visited Mumbai and Dhaka and managed to not get mugged. I got scammed a lot, true, especially by those tricky children with their big brown eyes and pointy collar bones, but that was it.

Pachinko, you better come apologize for scamming this nice lady.

kurczak said:
I'm ready and willing to believe it's true or even 10 times worse for (large) parts of the big cities, but for an entire 200 mil country? Obviously I'm not going to walk into the slums and "go hey angry, poor people, look at my pale white skin and shiny watch and stilettos, wanna rob and/or rape me?" or anything like that.

It's not about the slums, I don't think anyone is dumb enough to do that, all the events that I mentioned happened in upper middle class areas. I'm sure there must be areas considerably less dangerous than others, but nowhere in the country is there a paradise, I dunno, seems like a pointless, dangerous gamble in my book.

Sounds like Brazil needs a good old revolution followed by 20 years of oppressive millitary policing. That should root out all the bad guys.

Btw kurczak, this year's 9th of July is the country's 200th year since the declaration of independence. So there probably will be festivities, parades and a lot of stuff to see in both Buenos Aires or Tucuman (where independendence was declared).
Beny said:
Sounds like Brazil needs a good old revolution followed by 20 years of oppressive millitary policing. That should root out all the bad guys.
The liberal policies of the Junta and only make the condition of the proletariat worse. What we need in brazil is the dictatorship of the proletariat. A system where those pesky capitalists and their anti corruption laws have no place!

Beny said:
Again?
Harkon Haakonson said:
kurczak said:

It's not about the slums, I don't think anyone is dumb enough to do that, all the events that I mentioned happened in upper middle class areas. I'm sure there must be areas considerably less dangerous than others, but nowhere in the country is there a paradise, I dunno, seems like a pointless, dangerous gamble in my book.
It depends, really. If you go into the country, specially zones of high italian/german immigration, it's pretty safe. Downside is that there's not a lot to see, on the human side of things - beautiful places all around, though. If safety is really a concern I'd avoid most large cities, maybe with the exception of São Paulo (which is, surprisingly, one of the safest >1mil places in the country).

I actually think you'd have a better time in Argentina. Patagonia is beautiful all year round, for instance. Been there on summer myself, and I highly recommend (although they have some ****huge mosquito-fly-monsters) giving it a visit, specially if you like nature stuff. I dunno how the situation is in Buenos Aires, though, our Argentines could tell you better. From what I gather, a lot less urban violence, but a larger chance of getting scammed on little ****, like taxi rides and stuff. Still, it's a wonderful city.

Back
Top Bottom