SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

Some of your screenshots don't show up correctly, I think you did something wrong at implementing them.

Edit: Tow of them I could regenerate, at the top two there are no direct image links and I am not sure which pictures there you wanted to link.

Last edited:
Excellent! About the baggy pants, yeah, I did notice. I haven't really been able to do anything like that, because I am not a modeller. But I had one idea (although I have not tested it yet). There's an OSP called Battle of Yugoslavia, which is about WW2. It may have some models with baggy pants. Otherwise, I haven't seen M&B models like these anywhere.

Apparently the upper two got corrupted and didn't deliver correctly, a shame. The Battle of Yugoslavia OSP did have baggy trousers for the Germans and Poles...if i correctly remember, they could be used here easily.
The descriptions for the 1st picture is quite simply a Viking warrior, most likely a more well-off man since he has money to afford even a beautiful Damascus-sword.

The second picture has Viking soldiers from Upsala and Western Finland's area of Jokioinen, the helmet's and the seax are very similiar to ones found from that area.

I just wish i had Osprey's books about Vikings, they are used by even professional movie makers and game creators.

Thanks! I'll take a look! Since most M&B body armours can be easily split between shirt and pants, if I find the baggy pants, it'll be relatively easy to attach them to a number of different models.

Here is some more good reference pictures i managed to find. Had to use Swedish language to find the best pictures, good thing i've studied it for 7 years.
tumblr_inline_ood114AuRz1r8c6s8_640.png

dc87dd8683f57045f4493b6e22e3c165.jpg

169927e96228eda4235afc200c36f902.jpg

f432f0fb1143e3f0f43bea5ab26039b1.jpg

0bbb56c01791ca4395b5c9fb03841e35.jpg

4ca303c95cf0ac9b5562dc57d51bb93b.jpg

32a83348ef7f838446b6c6a5d2ac256b.jpg

b48af181aea1b528f357e76764d43803.jpg

vikingkv.jpg

vikingaman%2Bhistoriska.PNG

gjermundbu-hjelm-khm-hm-330.jpg

dc7c35f5bf4f58416bb48f6a9b62f66a.jpg

Amazing stuff! Thanks! I have actually a a lot of those models in the mod, especially the Birka cap and the nasal helmets. As for the much requested baggy pants, I couldn't find a good model. The mod about Yugoslavia doesn't have them, I remembered wrongly.

Hey @Antonis

Just wanted to quickly write this up to provide a little bit of feedback and to show my appreciation.

I found this mod today, it's surprisingly extremely lowkey which is a shame as I've been loving it, and it's definitely a favourite in my books. I love the map as well as all the different custom towns, castles, and villages, I was exploring a village looking for a fugitive and it reminded me of that feeling I had just starting out on Warband, looking for the fugitive and feeling lost, it really gave me a sense of adventure. It was wonderous.

One suggestion I do have is the ability for the user to open up a troop tree menu to view each troop tree for their respective factions (including mercenaries, bandits, and vikingr) as I just found myself lost trying to figure out which troops superseded the other in terms of seniority.

Something strange I did notice was that I had a seemingly bugged quest, I have no idea how to replicate it but I received a quest to track down a bandit party from a guild master, in the end, I wasn't able to find the party and it expired. I've never seen that quest expire before, usually you either kill it or it cancels because another party killed it - there's an entire two or three-month time limit on those quests so I find it quite strange, I believe that it wasn't even there.

I also had a problem with my chat log, this could be linked to the aforementioned problem, I assume you know this but Warband has this system where if too many messages are sent to the chatlog at once, the chatlog turns transparent and you can no longer see any text until it catches back up. This happened to me a few times, I checked my recent messages in the notes section and it was spamming me something like "checking one town or maybe two" I honestly can't remember it off the top of my head but it was basically "checking one {location} or --- two" (I remember the one and two parts of it, as well as the fact that it had a location, that's about it though. It wasn't until I started writing this that I thought that these two problems could potentially be related as this problem stopped as soon as the quest to hunt the bandit party expired.

EDIT: Just got back on, I'm pretty sure I got the quest from Notrkoping, additionally, I'll leave a screenshot for the OPCODE error I'm getting.

I'll end this here, basically just wanted to let you know that I've been enjoying it. I'm about to head to sleep but you better know that I'm hopping back on tomorrow afternoon, I know you've put a lot of time into this masterpiece so I wanted to show some appreciation.

Last edited:
Anthony Stevens
Hey! Thank you very much for your feedback and I'm really glad you like the mod. This is the only way to make a mod better, in my opinion, with collective effort and reports, so thanks!

About the Troop Tree presentation, well, it's not a big deal to add it, the only reason I haven't is that I basically like immersion very much. For some reason, I find that checking a spreadsheet would ruin the atmosphere a bit.

About the bandit tracking quest, that's a Native thing. I've not edited the Native quests in any way; in the coming version there are a couple added ones, mostly in the vein of the old RPG games (no map waypoints, you need to listen to rumours, NPC conversation and figure it out), but the Native quests remain unchanged.

I'll check the chatlog, haven't really seen anything like it, but certainly, I will look. Your screenshot helps a lot, thanks, it will give me a starting point!

[...]

About the bandit tracking quest, that's a Native thing. I've not edited the Native quests in any way; in the coming version there are a couple added ones, mostly in the vein of the old RPG games (no map waypoints, you need to listen to rumours, NPC conversation and figure it out), but the Native quests remain unchanged.

[...]

Interesting approach! That's what I prefer aswell but I also understand that most of the people nowadays are used to immersion-breaking things such as waypoints so I'm adding them to my mod anyway altho I think I'll add an option to turn some of them off.

Anthony Stevens
Hey! Thank you very much for your feedback and I'm really glad you like the mod. This is the only way to make a mod better, in my opinion, with collective effort and reports, so thanks!

About the Troop Tree presentation, well, it's not a big deal to add it, the only reason I haven't is that I basically like immersion very much. For some reason, I find that checking a spreadsheet would ruin the atmosphere a bit.

I'll check the chatlog, haven't really seen anything like it, but certainly, I will look. Your screenshot helps a lot, thanks, it will give me a starting point!

I'm really liking the sound of the idea of listening to rumours in order to find certain quests, the only thing I could say against that is that I hope you'd use quests that don't have the targets walking off to a place far away, my pet peeve on Warband is getting a quest to deliver a message to a lord, only to get over to the location he was last known to be at, only to figure out that you need to walk all the way back again because he went spelunkin'.

Oooof. I don't know. For example, I have in the mod a custom location for a unique weapon (I need to make a better looking scene, but whatever :razz:). Initially, the player has to talk to an NPC, then solve a riddle poem (nothing extra difficult) and follow some clues. If I made the way point or included an entry that said Go There→, would it really be a quest? Definition of the word, but the Cambridge dictionary:
a long search for something that is difficult to find, or an attempt to achieve something difficult

And since these quests offer unique and powerful rewards, it seems a bit silly to just be able to see a location in your notes and go there. You should work for it. :razz:

EDIT: Anthony Stevens
Ah, well, that's my complaint with M&B, too. Generally, to find all the unique items in the mod, you need to either a)listen to a rumour, b) solve a riddle, c) follow some signs on the map or in specific scenes, or d) all of them, for a legendary item I'm preparing (I didn't make the whole plan, it's still WIP). In all cases, once you find the location, you go there, find the thing and you're done. Only in one occasion you have to search the map for a wandering party, which you fight.

I should also add that there are no waypoints, as mentioned before, no notes of any kind. You need to pay attention and sometimes, search some places.

My laptop and computer have great problems working because of a storm that ravages Finland, but i will once again post some references, my friend helped me with these by giving some helpful links and Swedish words that can be used to find better-quality pics.

10689052-portrait-of-viking-or-slav-with-hauberk-and-helmet-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg

MCI-3222-300x300.jpg

1a0f657b5d20715c9b99d0221812009b.jpg

84975c654c69f388a65717a1c7030eb8.jpg

38c7c89cff0838463489ccffd51e453f.jpg

cd0740282903de613d0771621cf1bc2d.jpg

vintage-viking-borders-set-vector-260nw-1157518804.jpg

59468894_10156754987618645_8351906847325683712_o-1.jpg

Yeah, my friend found a good Swedish site which lists some of the common Viking Age cloth patterns, but it is not easy to read it because it's only in Swedish and a dialectic version.

I'l try to search the site for more patterns i should be able to have some more patterns by Tuesday.

(y)
Now, just one observation: the Kiev helmet (Desjatinna nasal) is mentioned to be from the 10th century (~950AD). That's about a century later than the mod.
1.png

Last edited:
Well that's intresting...the Swedish book says that it was used by some tribal forest Slavs in 8th and 9th century, but didn't get to widespread use yet, the book i read was old so maybe it's information is outdated.

Well i tried to search more patterns to clothing and i did found something.

00432666813b0fb657d59f555b478236.jpg

cc0808ab6f9354bf7920fd0cc49f3c82.jpg

IMG_1864_1024x1024.jpg

Birka-bj93-32e-3.jpg

tk-viking-knife-3.jpg

b09bd0e6e7c119ed8aefe87d6ef4b0e7.jpg

fox-fur-viking-hat_683x683.jpg

912de976aaeb1759aca75d4bb498abd8--viking-dress-viking-garb.jpg

PinstripeedRus-965703_800x.jpg

bed0b408eef5e592f19858a63d7f862b.jpg

10484f2338f63c336d42dcc2f7d3db90.jpg

That square tunic is really nice!

I wanted to tell you before i forget it again. You have maybe watched the TV-series "Vikings" made for History channel. DO NOT take inspirations from there, i have watched the show and while it's somewhat entertaining and it has good action, the clothing, weapons,manner of speech, Chinese slaves, and Scandinavian society's portrayal are all off some more than others, they reference historical characters like Ragnar Lodbrok and Ivar The Boneless but battering rams and siege towers etc are just pure fiction. Even the name "Ivar The Boneless" is not the name his men would have called him they speak made up Nordic at few points, it would have been: Ivarr inn Beinlausi or Inwaer. The most accurate clothing they wear are their ring belts which are completely acceptable. Shortly it's not a documentary.

vikings_season4_history-Channel.jpg

efd42ff13cfd5f989472946e573c5183.png

2f09d3a88fcd919a35f2b82bfb6c6b9d.jpg

That square tunic is really nice!

I wanted to tell you before i forget it again. You have maybe watched the TV-series "Vikings" made for History channel. DO NOT take inspirations from there, i have watched the show and while it's somewhat entertaining and it has good action, the clothing, weapons,manner of speech, Chinese slaves, and Scandinavian society's portrayal are all off some more than others, they reference historical characters like Ragnar Lodbrok and Ivar The Boneless but battering rams and siege towers etc are just pure fiction. Even the name "Ivar The Boneless" is not the name his men would have called him they speak made up Nordic at few points, it would have been: Ivarr inn Beinlausi or Inwaer. The most accurate clothing they wear are their ring belts which are completely acceptable. Shortly it's not a documentary.
I think the first 2 seasons where really good. Anyways don't worry Antonis knows what he does ^^

Last edited:
Heh, don't worry, I won't be inspired by Vikings, as much as I love Katherine Winnick (however, I DID make her face for the mod :razz: ).

I aim at a historically accurate approach and your research is quite useful, at that. Nice patterns and ornaments, I'll make the necessary changes as soon as possible!

That's good!

Vikings series is good for an action series but it should never be watched as a documentary.

About Finnish shields of the era here's a few pictures and symbols that were used in Finland and were many times shown in shield art.

vii2-06b8f178-f90c-4207-9737-ec853079a5e6_s1200x630_q100.jpeg

Cheese_moulds_at_Finnish_National_Museum_decorated_with_looped_squares.jpg

61838672_2316052771968824_3677529545174062756_n.jpg

S-VK-0099W-Erkki-Salmelan-60-luvulla-tekem%C3%A4-amuletti-perustuen-1000-luvun-solkeen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom