The Sturgians look ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Here is the thing. Not everyone is European. Most of the world has no ****ing idea who half of these factions are supposed to be. This game just feels.... well... super Eastern European in a way the previous titles did not. If I had to guess I'm going to assume it's from the people they hired for this project. I find it pretty damn hard to relate. Also the amount of fur and leather used seems to rather outside anything I've ever seen evidence of.
Strange thing to say. As a "european", I have very little knowledge of eastern european history aswell... I don't know why you'd think a dane would be taught any more russian history than an american :razz:. I actually really appreciate that the game takes inspiration from cultures that aren't as popular as in pop culture. That's not to say that I prefer the eastern european look by itself, I actually do like the more tradtional western europe inspired look most games use... But I I think it's cool to see some new stuff... Eastern european history isn't exactly super popular in the media.. so It's nice that it gets some attention

The Druhzniks have the same helmet many of the Vaegir Lords did in Warband. I don't really see what's wrong with that. I personally don't like the helmets myself, but they don't really bother me. Can easily equip a different helmet, and use different Cavalry. Since a Nordic inspired army wouldn't have many riders to begin with.

Also, Kievan Rus, are literally Russian Vikings. While the Norse, Danes went to England and France, the Swedes and Finnish went to Russia. Novgorad and Kiev are both Viking Settlements initially that Russia ended up taking over and integrating. So for them to have heavy Viking influence makes sense, whilst mixing it with more Slavic cultures as Russian culture took over.

Russia did not take them over. Ruric family from the Nords were kings of ALL Russia all the way to 16th century. They were the ones who created Kievan Rus and most of that people consider Russia.

What do you mean redicoluos?
220px-%D0%94%D0%B2%D0%B0_%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%94%D0%A0.jpg
sj2MPJYiDbs2jvrlXYItGKqron6Rja295df7THAydPSuxQe0aizXKHxtAb3tdVEBJ_2J8a6aRJZQw22jC-Uhwgc-nxdjHFTtfdFGZl0-cR69kBcFrXqtMkzU

(sorry for russian text XD)

As everyone has already said they are inspired by the Kevan Rus but Taleworlds wanted to mix even more Nord elements into them, they even went to put the lore to justify it. What is came out to be was a hodgepodge mess. I believe that they will be getting a more Slavic look and many of us on the threads think that a DLC of the nords would be great as many of us just want some proper Vikings and other a great Slavic kingdom.

You mean that Sturgia is a mess?? LOL

What about Battania then? They are gauls, dacians and britons all mixed together

The biggest problem for is that they are so weak. Seriously if I had to put a scale on it they would be waaaaaaaaaaaay below the bottom. Never saw them on the map longer than 3 years.

What the actual ****.

Out of all the civilizations in the world, I really doubt any had a warrior armored like this. This is more a storyteller/shaman costume than actual combat gear...

They are based off the berserkers, light infantry troops the germanic tribes had. The etymology of their name is supposed to either come from "bear", although this is disputed, as fur is heavy.
More likely it was formed out of the word "bar" today in German a prefix meaning no clothes. Very comparable to the English "bare", as in "bare-naked".
They appear in nordic folkore as well around the 9th century, where they are often described as wearing wolf-fur and fighting without consideration of their personal well-being. They are also said to fight without body armour. However outside of folklore there are little sources on their actual use and/or equipment. So there is your reference.
Just like with many things in Bannerlord it is a not a mirror of our medieval times, but with added flavour drawn from sagas, their own lore and pop-culture.

you think dung paintings are art

Well, you said so.

The biggest problem for is that they are so weak. Seriously if I had to put a scale on it they would be waaaaaaaaaaaay below the bottom. Never saw them on the map longer than 3 years.

Low tier troops kinda sucks (being less-armored than enemy counterparts), top tier units are quite effective, but they don't get horse raiders nor good archers until tier 4. Considering this game is 90% recruit unit battling, that might be one cause of their weaknes.

Last edited:
Low tier troops kinda sucks (being less-armored than enemy counterparts), top tier units are quite effective, but they don't get horse raiders nor good archers until tier 4. Considering this game is 90% recruit unit battling, that might be one cause of their weaknes.

Yep i noticed beggars armies late game. That may also be the cause why empire factions tend to overwhelm everyone. They got shielded infantry at tier 2 while most if not all others (i didn't check every faction for this) don't have shields at t2.

Feedback =/= Dumb comments.

The famous aesthetic thread during Multiplayer beta partially inspired Taleworlds art direction, and the end result is great, all of the troops in MP look fantastic. We want the same attention to detail in Singleplayer.
The thread had been moved from the Beta section to the new singleplayer subboard here ? Creative Unit Aesthetics - archive so we can continue to try influence unit looks in the Singleplayer now as well.

Yep i noticed beggars armies late game. That may also be the cause why empire factions tend to overwhelm everyone. They got shielded infantry at tier 2 while most if not all others (i didn't check every faction for this) don't have shields at t2.

Also tier 3 empire infantry gets javelins, and throwing is pretty powerful. While Sturgia get Woodsman, they count as archers and have no shield, so they might not stick with infantry during battles. The dedicated infantry line don't get javs untill tier 5, based on my experience, but i'm not entirely sure on this. I will go recruit some sturgian and verify it.

They are based off the berserkers, light infantry troops the germanic tribes had. The etymology of their name is supposed to either come from "bear", although this is disputed, as fur is heavy.
More likely it was formed out of the word "bar" today in German a prefix meaning no clothes. Very comparable to the English "bare", as in "bare-naked".
They appear in nordic folkore as well around the 9th century, where they are often described as wearing wolf-fur and fighting without consideration of their personal well-being. They are also said to fight without body armour. However outside of folklore there are little sources on their actual use and/or equipment. So there is your reference.
Just like with many things in Bannerlord it is a not a mirror of our medieval times, but with added flavour drawn from sagas, their own lore and pop-culture.

Oh, I'm well aware of the inspiration for the troop... it's just not done well at all. Bannerlord doesn't necessarily need to mirror reality, but it should keep itself consistent within it's own setting. The bare-chested look might work for say... a few bandits and peasants in the southern empire, but not the northern Sturgia. It'd work if Bannerlord were a high fantasy game (where normal humans are blatantly superhuman), however it's not.

I'm not saying they should be removed as a troop. All that's needed is some revision, some more care in their setup; instead of bare chested guys with a wolf hat, let them wear some wolf pelts, maybe even some bear coats. Give them some nice trailing wolf/bear cloaks, something that feels like it belongs in the cold northern climate. As it stands, those guys look like they'd die from hypothermia before the battle starts.

Back
Top Bottom