The Sturgians look ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Here is the thing. Not everyone is European. Most of the world has no ****ing idea who half of these factions are supposed to be. This game just feels.... well... super Eastern European in a way the previous titles did not. If I had to guess I'm going to assume it's from the people they hired for this project. I find it pretty damn hard to relate. Also the amount of fur and leather used seems to rather outside anything I've ever seen evidence of.
Even if that were true I wouldn't have a problem with it, I like the eastern european look but it does need some work in BL

While that might be quite the task to implement in the distant future, I could see them having some sort of nord invasion mechanic.

Have the Nords land and invade the sturgians or whoever is controlling the land they start on. You could have it happen quite late in the game like say at the 100 year mark, that way the player could have a chance to make sturgia strong enough to beat the Nords back.

I'd absolutely be onboard with it if they're willing to do it. Hell, I'd buy DLC to see it happen, it'd be a really cool mechanic.

I feel like some of these bare-chested warriors need to eat more protein and put some muscle on lol
53zjEsF.png

That does not look like the body of a battle-hardened man in his prime, accustomed to cleaving through the skulls of his enemies... or frankly cleaving through anything at all.
Im not asking for 300-levels of sprayed-on-abs, but a bit of bulk would help.
They're also northerners... give em some more chest hair for the cold lol.
I saw on the nexus that the game even tracks muscle mass and fat already, so this would probably just involve editing a single "muscle" value for that unit.

Ok, yeah, gotta kinda agree with you on this.One of the downsides to there being one body template right now is that yes, some of the "Battle-hardened warriors" look like they're working a desk job.

Sturgians are neither Nords nor Vikings. They're inspired by the Kievan Rus. Therefore, they don't have to look like Vikings at all.

Ingame lore on the Sturgians suggests that they're actually a blend of the Kievan-Rus inspired nation that becomes the Vaegirs by Warband's era, and the Viking-inspired Nords, and Raganvad's mother is explicitly stated to be a Nord princess.

So they shouldn't be entirely Viking, but still should have *some* Viking elements to them. Fortunately (at least to my eyes) they do.

Guys, the east slavic inspired Sturgia is not supposed to look viking. I personally like Sturgia as it is, even though it could use more variation.

There is the minor faction of Skolderbroda that are pure vikings that you can hire, Naval DLC was told to be considered a while ago, so my guess
is the Nord major faction to potentially come with it.

Also, some number of additional new armors and helmets are being worked on as we were told some time ago during beta, before early access. So we will see more variation and more cultural specific flavour to certain factions.

If it were me, I'd go a little more for fat than muscle. They have a meat-heavy diet and during peace, they do a lot of heavy lifting work. I'd build the more like a Polish strongman than a TV barbarian. But that's just me.

Cartoonish, eh?
UfSAw36.jpg

Silly, eh?
0DPbSlX.jpg

Stupid, eh?!
boAfbee.jpg

How dare you. How dare you!

I LOVE the cartoonish style, but is not cartoonish really, is just the simple textures and customizable faces that make it look like this.

the Swedes and Finnish went to Russia. Novgorad and Kiev are both Viking Settlements initially that Russia ended up taking over and integrating
This is completely made up history my friend, and has no grounding in history or reality.

I think what the team did do, though, is underestimate how many people are crazy for a certain liberally unhistorical series centered around a certain classification of sea raider. They knew the Nords were popular, sure, but this was before that series. Some people are wilder than ever for the whole Viking Media Myth, and in that regard, it might have served them to make the Nords a separate faction and just... include a portion of their home continent on the map.
Absolutely magnificent post lmao. But I must disagree about the Sturgians looking good, there's some work that needs to be done in my opinion:smile:

Ingame lore on the Sturgians suggests that they're actually a blend of the Kievan-Rus inspired nation that becomes the Vaegirs by Warband's era, and the Viking-inspired Nords, and Raganvad's mother is explicitly stated to be a Nord princess.

So they shouldn't be entirely Viking, but still should have *some* Viking elements to them. Fortunately (at least to my eyes) they do.
Not a 'blend', those Nords you're refering to don't "constitute" the Sturgian people, but those Nords have a presence and connection in Sturgia amongst Sturgians, as you said through Raganvads mother being a Nord (which obviously makes Raganvad half-Nord), and also through the Skolderbrotva minor faction, which are specifically mentioned to be Nords.

Atleast that's my understanding of this, since the game makes numerous distinctions between Sturgians and Nords multiple times.

Last edited:
The helmets are based on real examples and, as with all gear, pop-cultural influences to reflect a period we call the medieval times. It also portrays a wide variety of cultures and land area, ranging from today's western europe to the steppes of central asia and from the scandinavian north to the north african arid deserts.
Yes, they are taking some liberties, however in the grand scheme of things they are doing well visually.

Here is the thing. Not everyone is European. Most of the world has no ****ing idea who half of these factions are supposed to be. This game just feels.... well... super Eastern European in a way the previous titles did not. If I had to guess I'm going to assume it's from the people they hired for this project. I find it pretty damn hard to relate. Also the amount of fur and leather used seems to rather outside anything I've ever seen evidence of.

Ok but why are you so angry about it though :???: also that sounds like a good chance to educate yourself!

I feel like some of these bare-chested warriors need to eat more protein and put some muscle on lol
53zjEsF.png

That does not look like the body of a battle-hardened man in his prime, accustomed to cleaving through the skulls of his enemies... or frankly cleaving through anything at all.
Im not asking for 300-levels of sprayed-on-abs, but a bit of bulk would help.
They're also northerners... give em some more chest hair for the cold lol.
I saw on the nexus that the game even tracks muscle mass and fat already, so this would probably just involve editing a single "muscle" value for that unit.
Agree with pretty much everything you said. They should look more like skellige warriors from witcher 3 in terms of bulk.

Last edited:

Just a little of actual russian oversimplified history: people who lived on russian lands could not defend themselves against raids and they actually invited one strong norse guy (Rurik) to take over and protect them.

Sturgia in this game represents the early Rus. We see a good blend of nord troops and locals and I believe that units look pretty good (need some work tho as any other faction in the game). The only thing i dont like is their colour, they should have stuck to the vaegirs white, it was better fitting to the cold region they live in imo.

Actually I am pretty disappointed in Aserai as well. I just love the look of Saracen armors and helmets but I don't get that strong of a Saracen vibe from them. I have to agree about the the Stugrians as well. I love Kiev Rus inspired armor but the mis-match of Kiev Rus and Viking just doesn't work. I also feel the Britanians look more Viking if you get right down two it. Also the Valadians just seem so plain. I know they are supposed to be Norman inspired and the armor reflects that but something is missing and they seem just blah.

What I do like is the Imperials and Khurziats, both look great on the field of battle.

they look great...some additions from 13th century thou but it lok organic ...nord helmets are bit bigger i think then they must be but over all its all great...

Taleworlds, please ignore all these dumb comments. Some of the people here are just spewing out hate because it seems they got nothing else to do (most probably they are unemployed). Keep on doing a great game with your own style!
Feedback =/= Dumb comments.

The famous aesthetic thread during Multiplayer beta partially inspired Taleworlds art direction, and the end result is great, all of the troops in MP look fantastic. We want the same attention to detail in Singleplayer.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. They should look more like skellige warriors from witcher 3 in terms of bulk.
Indeed. This is the nexus mod i was referencing earlier.
Muscle/fat Slider minimised
118-1585982328-43291948.png

Muscle/fat Slider maximised
118-1585982348-504611407.png
All the human characters likely run on the same rig/body system (so you cant use this to make emaciated or ripped horses and camels lol), so in theory that should be applicable to hired units, which will have their own body presets too.

Hm, world famous artists spent their whole life researching and developing aesthesic, but whatever...

I like Sturgia as they are, but they definetly need more consistency in their look.
World famous artists paint with dung, weld some rebar together at random, and spit paint onto a wall and call it art.
So hard pass.

My bad, I should change my post to say "The Kievan Rus" look ridiculous in this game. This is just my opinion but it's those absurd pointy hats with the red nipples on top. Immersion breaking.

That faction is mix of rus and viking factrions. so they have both viking and rus looking elements in their armor. go look what rus armor looked like before complaining.. Whining about immersion when talking about subjective things in fantasy game is just....bizare.

if anything, i feel they should have made 2 separate factions, one for rus and one for vikings as they were completely different styles of armies and armor look and it feels like they were just bloody lazy so they bunched them up together.

Back
Top Bottom