The Sturgians look ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Here's some reading for folks who are confused about the Sturgians and their relation to the real world.

TL;DR The Kievan Rus were mainly Slavic people whose ruling class had mainly Scandinavian origin from when mostly Swedish vikings who ventured down the rivers in Russia became rulers of the land and founded a state (Russian and Ukrainian nationalist scholars contest this). Sturgia seems to represent some point of the transition from Norse mixed with Slavs to Russian. That's my interpretation anyway.

It's one particular helmet that is just badly done. Also, the Sturgian troops are very short. If you make your character tall, you look silly standing next to the little Sturgians. The combination of being short, plus the funny hat, just screams "garden gnome".

Shoulda just stuck with pure Kevian Rus ascetics tbh. Perhaps draw inspiration from more obscure cultures like Finns or other Slavic tribes to round them out if that wasn't enough. Viking are over-represented anyways and Nords will probably make a comeback at some point. Making them a hybrid just dilutes their identity.

I was so excited to play as a Nord or a Viking in this game, until I saw how ridiculous they look. In particular the pointy helmet with the ridiculous little red doilie on top is so absurd I just can't handle it. Their appearance is so silly, I actually switched factions over it. Someone please mod these terrible looking Vikings!

I agree with the pointy helmets, I think that is more of a middle eastern or eastern look if you ask me.

If you want the Viking Experience, you can only use Sturgian Shock troops and Ulfhednars.
That way, you'll get the stupid TV vikings experience getting everyone OS by arrows cause wandering half naked on a real battlefield.

Biggest problem with Sturgia isn't their helmets, it's Braindead Raganvad

Although this is true, I do agree that they look pretty terrible. They are easily the worst looking faction. I hate to speak without having all the facts on the table, but the Sturgians are clearly the faction that Taleworld either had the least amount of time put into it, or simply didn't know what to do with.
Sturgia needs more lamellar, more gilded helmets, more chain, in general more "eastern"-style equipment. And also more colours than just blue, which just invokes "Nord" too much, when they're indeed Kievan Rus inspired. Reds, browns and greens like the Sturgian riders in the concept art during loading screens would complement their colour scheme nicely.

Yes, but that's besides the point you're making, which is that the helmet you're refering to looks bad, which I agree with.

This. they need to go back to warband and mix in some aspects of the Veigers to make this faction feel more complete, maybe more of the white colour scheme too.

Shoulda just stuck with pure Kevian Rus ascetics tbh. Perhaps draw inspiration from more obscure cultures like Finns or other Slavic tribes to round them out if that wasn't enough. Viking are over-represented anyways and Nords will probably make a comeback at some point. Making them a hybrid just dilutes their identity.
All my feelings summed up perfectly to 100%.

What is now Sturgia could be split into two factions, I'd like to see a purely Norse based faction and I'm sure some would like to see a purely Slav based faction instead of this mix we get here.

In the meantime, search "Norsemen" on Bannerlord Nexus. There's a mod that turns Sturgians into Nords there.

IMO who cares how they look. My concern is that they need to be buffed. I played 5 campaigns, all starting with different patch versions and they are always the 1st to get wiped out.

IMO who cares how they look. My concern is that they need to be buffed. I played 5 campaigns, all starting with different patch versions and they are always the 1st to get wiped out.
In my game atm. Western Empire, Vlandia, Sturgia. Its 1091

Sturgia gonna need so much more love.

- not only is their look crap, but so is their armor and their skills / stats. Just look at the druzhinik and ulfhednar skills. they have they highest skill in weapons they DON'T EVEN HAVE. druhiniks highest skill is bow they dont have, while their main weapon (polearm) is 60!!!!!!!!!!! same with ulfhednar is an 2hander with no armor. should walk crazy fast (IMO give the ulfs atleticss 200-250 and make them run in zig zag and let them attack crazy fast), instead has the lowest atlethics of all tier 5 units, no armor and 80 skill in 2H and 130 in polearm (WHICH THEY DONT HAVE!!) and Ulf should be the strongest in 1 v1, instead they just get mowed down by recruit units in a brawl.

Besides that. why does a nomad faction like Khuzait have MORE fiefs than sturgia, also they even got more fiefs in 65% of the landmass. they got horses and are tightly populated... just WTF.(oppsite should be true)

- if the Sturgians should have the weakest units (even though according to lore their infantry was without equal, which clearly isnt the case in the game) then the sturgians should make it up with sheer numbers... at this point. You can clearly see that the devs really hate Sturgia!

Last edited:
This is not 11th century Europe, It's a fantasy realm in a fantasy world. Real time dates and historic feats doesn't mean anything to bannerlord but small inspiration.

Bring on the Elves and the firearms; your point is wrong. The game is based on the technology levels present in the 11th century.

Back
Top Bottom