The rise of Wayoon II, King of Swadia

Users who are viewing this thread

Slayth

Sergeant
**This is the story of Wayoon II, my character whom I started as a king of Swadia in Empire III, ver. 1.81.  I will attempt to chronicle his adventures here, and I hope you will find his story worth reading.**

JOURNAL ENTRY #1:

After studying abroad for several years, I was called back to Praven to take over the throne after the sudden, unexplained death of my father, King Harlaus.  I found the kingdom, although intact, to be splintered into localities of towns and castles, each governed by its own lord.  There was no real central cohesion as a kingdom. 

The kingdom was overrun by many different groups of bandits.

So I took some mounted soldiers from my garrison in Praven and set about ridding the area of bandits.  When the area was reasonably clear, I purchased some Headquarters in a few towns, and sent out some trade caravans.  This turned out to be a profitable venture.

As I eliminated bandits in my kingdom, I was able to free prisoners from them.  Sometimes I asked the freed prisoners to join my band.  As time went on, I came to prefer a band of Manhunters and their experienced successors, because of their ability to acquire prisoners, which I found to be a great way to turn a profit.  I also recruited a Forager, an Engineer, and a Nurse.  I would like to recruit a Trainer next, to assist me in developing troops for future ventures.  In particular, I would like to develop some Swadian Engineers for catapults for future sieges.

This is my current party:

However, I found that the Lords of my kingdom had little respect for me, probably due to my youth and inexperience. So I set about serving the little people.

I have been back home now for 33 days, and am feeling settled into my new life. 

JOURNAL ENTRY #2:

Collecting denars from eliminating bandits and from my caravans, I finally felt I could afford to purchase some equipment more suitable for a king.  Believe it or not, the charger I am riding was not a purchase, but a spoil from a group of bandits.

While traveling Swadia and the nearby countryside, I became very impressed with the beauty of the land, and the abundant wildlife.  I have harvested some deer herds; the venison makes for free food for my army, as well as cash when sold in towns.  I began planning to do some fishing, and began some studies at fisherman's guilds in towns where I was visiting.  I have heard stories of novice fishermen getting into serious trouble (and taking serious injuries), so I figured I had better prepare myself properly beforehand.

My plans for recreation were short-lived, however.  While resting in Sargoth, after eliminating some bandit tribes in that area (I wanted to make the area safe for my caravans, as I had purchased a Headquarters in Sargoth and had several caravans running to and from there), the ungrateful Nords declared war on my kingdom.  Apparently they are more uncivilized than I thought.  I had to quickly sneak out of Sargoth, and had to make a circuitous route back to Swadia to avoid Nords patrolling the area.  I could not attack them, as their armies numbered in the 300-400's.  They eventually came down and looted my villages of Gisim, Tuhlberl, and Tosdhar. 

Eventually, though, I came upon one of my Lords engaged in battle with the Nords.  My Lords's troops were slightly outnumbered, but once I joined the battle the tide was turned.  The Nords were using catapults against us; I became aware of this when a flaming barrel exploded not too far from me.  I took it upon myself to ride around the main battlefield and attack the engineers manning the catapults.  Shortly thereafter, a couple of my cavalry joined me, and we were able to take out all of the engineers and stop the catapult assault against us.  We were able to defeat the Nords handily.  I did lose a few of my Manhunters, and the Master Nurse I had trained.

Since then, the Nords seem to have moved back to their own territory and left my villages alone.  I managed to give some troops to the garrisons in the northernmost castles of Ryibelet and Kelredn.  I hope these actions will help my Lords realize that I am not just some noble-born upstart, but a serious king to be respected and followed.  I fear, however, that this will take some time, and some bold actions on my part.  That is why I am contemplating taking the war to the Nords.

JOURNAL ENTRY #3:

Apparently my defense against the Nords was effective; shortly thereafter they begged for peace, which I granted, since I was not really prepared for a long, drawn-out war.  This decision did help my relations with my lords, as they said I had a better "right to rule".

Since times were once again peaceful (or so I thought, more on that in a bit), I decided to build a few villages, a castle, and a town in honor of my father, King Harless.

I was unsure if there would be anything unusual about them, since they were newly constructed, but upon visiting them I found they were just like established communities. I purchased a Headquarters in the town and sent out caravans.  I collected rents, etc. from them:

The guilds are  perfectly functional:

I do need to do some interior decorating in the castle, tavern, and bordello:

A past mistake came back to haunt me, however.  During the war with the Nords, I stopped a caravan that I thought belonged to the Nords and demanded payment for travel in my Kingdom.  It turned out, however that the caravan actually belonged to the Krom faction; I mistook the colors they were flying for the Nords' colors ( I think they look quite similiar).  I thought no more of the incident, until, after making peace with the Nords, my new castle came under attack from Krom!  I gathered up soldiers from Praven and obliterated the Krom army, with some help from one of my Lords.

I really do need to take that fishing trip....

JOURNAL ENTRY #4:

AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHGGGGGUUUUUUHHHHH......... (death rattle, sound of bucket being kicked, {insert favorite death cliche here})

**This is the story of Wayoon III, my character whom I started as a king of Swadia in Empire III, ver. 1.83.  I will attempt to chronicle his adventures here, and I hope you will find his story worth reading.**

JOURNAL ENTRY #1

After studying abroad for several years, I was summoned back to Praven to take over the throne of Swadia after the sudden, unexplained death of my brother Wayoon II.  I have found his diary, and have chosen to use it to chronicle my activities as King.  The kingdom is intact, but splintered into areas ruled by the lords of the various towns and castles of Swadia. I find the land to be overrun with bandits. Curiously, there is no sign of the villages, castle, or town Wayoon II claimed to have created.

In my studies abroad, I learned of the profits that can be earned from trade caravans, so one of the first things I have done is to purchase a Headquarters in Praven.  I now need to travel to Dhirim to purchase another there so I can set up some trade routes and pay for my improvements to my Kingdom.

I took some troops from the garrison in Praven and set about eliminating bandits from my lands.  Among the spoils of my first battle was this beautiful Appaloosa horse, which I took for my own:

One sour note from my first battle:  my advisors equipped me with, among other things, a crossbow.  My first (and only) shot with it hit one of my own troops, which did not make him or myself very happy.  Needless to say, I have sold the offending weapon and am looking for something I prefer.

JOURNAL ENTRY #2:

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH.......

**This is the story of Wayoon IV, my character whom I started as a king of Swadia in Empire III, ver. 1.84.  I will attempt to chronicle his adventures here, and I hope you will find his story worth reading.**

JOURNAL ENTRY #1

After studying abroad for several years, I was summoned back to Praven to take over the throne of Swadia after the sudden, unexplained death of my brother, Wayoon III.  I can only assume that he somehow displeased the Founders {oh sorry, wrong storyline}. 

Since the Kingdom is disjointed and overrun with bandits, I plan to take troops from my garrison in Praven and and clean out bandit tribes to make the land safe for my people (and caravans), and to show my lords that I am a worthy leader.

One of the first things I did was purchase a Headquarters in Praven.  I plan to visit Dhirim, and maybe venture to Skirin to purchase Headquarters and set up  trade routes.  My plans for the future of this Kingdom will likely turn out to be very costly.

After a few battles near Praven,  my horse and gear looked like this:

I fought my way to Dhirim, purchased a Headquarters there, and set up several caravans to Praven.  Here they are leaving town:

...and my first profits :grin::

JOURNAL ENTRY #2:

I've spent the last several weeks rounding up bandits and building a network of trade caravans.  I now have Headquarters in Praven, Dhirim, Skirin, Narra, and Lenka.  I am building my War Fund, plus training Swadian Knights and an army of Manhunters.  I have also assembled equipment that I feel is appropriate for a new King such as myself:

Parade Dress Uniform:

Battle Attire:

Since we are still at peace with all other factions, I am thinking of establishing another Headquarters for caravans, this time in Reyvaden.  I have also begun studies at the  Hunters' Guild.  Sure, you can run down herds of deer with your army, but, from what I have heard, there is nothing more invigorating than hunting them down by yourself.  I intend to learn more about hunting whenever I can find the time.

JOURNAL ENTRY #3

Day 52.  Still doing the bandit/caravan thing.  I have expanded Headquarters into the Swadian Military Acedamy and Reyvadin.  I continue to study hunting, but haven't found the time to give it a try, yet.
On a somewhat related note, I picked myself up a third weapon:

This now makes me a triple-threat on the battlefield:

I only get one shot with the rifle, though.  I don't have enough room to carry reloads with all 3 weapons.

It was shortly after that when I found the PERFECT helmet.  I felt like I had been looking for this helmet since before I was born:

And here it is with my Parade attire:

Not to seem to dwell on the subject of hunting, but.....I spotted a beautiful spot to do some hunting in the hills near Hrus Castle, north of the village of Gisim.

If only I had the proper tools to do some hunting.  Maybe I can find some in nearby Tihr, or maybe Sargoth.  If nothing else, I could set up some Headquarters and send out some caravans.  Sounds like a plan.....

JOURNAL ENTRY #4

Found some tools in Sargoth,  and, while I was passing through, I set up Headquarters in Tihr and Sargoth.  My caravan network grows....
I went back to the hunting spot I had found, and had some luck there, although veteran hunters didn't think it was very successful:

My trophies from my first hunting expedition:

I traveled over the mountains to another well-known hunting spot, and things went about as well as my first attempt:

And here's my inventory after both hunts:

I think I'll go stash some of this venison in my Castle in Praven, to use with future sieges.

JOURNAL ENTRY 5:

I have this sense of impending doom; I am not sure why....  The number "1.85" keeps haunting  me.

I feel I must explore "Swadian Fire" before it is too late....

JOURNAL ENTRY #6:

My investigations into Swadian Fire lead me to believe it has something to do with castles and catapults.  So, I've decided to train some Swadian Skirmishers into Swadian Engineers to build catapults and study them.  I took a group of them to the Swadian Military Academy and enrolled them in training:

Those 25 engineers, plus the ones already in Praven, should be enough brain- and man-power to learn more.

So, while they're at work, I'll go visit my northern-most villages, Aldelen and Kulum.  I hear there is a prime hunting spot on the way.

In my travels, I was able to find other hunting spots:

I also found a place to entrench my camp in safety:

Here are the results from my hunting expeditions:

I have now accumulated the necessary resources I desire, and shall return to Praven to prepare for invasion, and pursue my dream for Swadian Fire.

JOURNAL ENTRY #7:

I hired over 140 Black Knights to assist in my quest, and took 50 Swadian Knights and about as many Swadian Engineers with me as well.  I filled my inventory with many kinds of food, servants, and a Chuck Wagon, and set out for Hrus Castle of the Rhodoks.  I took the Onagers and Trebuchets with me as well, as I wanted to soften up the Castle with catapults before sending in my soldiers. 

I started the war by attacking a Rhodok lord in the field, and made short work of their army.  Then I went after the castle.  I built ladders for the seige, and the set  my engineers to work with the catapults.  Unfortunately, they were unable to produce Swadian Fire, so I was forced to use flaming barrels to soften up the castle before I sent in my soldiers:

Then I sent in my Knights, both Swadian and Black, to clean up the Rhodok rabble left, and the castle was mine!

My only regret is that I have been unable to create Swadian Fire.  I shall be forced to return to the great link without completing this goal (oops, wrong storyline).

JOURNAL ENTRY #8:

1.85!! 1.85!!  AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

**Wayoon V, version 1.85**

JOURNAL ENTRY 1:

While I was studying abroad at the Faircrest University of Civilizations and Kingdoms, where I was Captain of the Equestrian Team, I was called back to Swadia after the sudden death of my brother.  I was given minimal equipment, including a swaybacked horse of questionable breeding:

He turned out, however to be a gentle, obedient animal who served me well.

As I appointed advisors, cleaned out bandit tribes, etc.,  I became interested in the local villagers and their communities.  The following are a few scenes from my travels in  Swadia:

I eventually retrieved a new horse from one of my conquests, so I retired my original horse to the Royal Pastures:

I have found, however, that I have little interest in the day-to-day drudgery of ruling, so I plan to leave affairs of the Kingdom to my appointed advisors, and the Lords of the Kingdom, who seem to be able to manage their own affairs without my leadership.  Instead, I wish to visit the many villages of the many factions of this land, to see firsthand the principles and theories I studied while at university.  I have also become aware that this land has a vast variety of horses and other mounts, which I would like to investigate.  To this end, I have equipped myself with suitable equipment for adventuring:

I have established a network of caravans to provide the denars necessary for my travels, and I will take a platoon of soldiers with me to explore this land.

**Wayoon V, continued into Version 1.87 (but not from a game save)**

JOURNAL ENTRY 2:

Found me a new saddle horse, I like the looks of this one:

I was just preparing to purchase a ship, and take a voyage to visit the islands which contain the villages of the Black Kergits.  I had to stop to rest my troops in Uxkhal, but there was no Explorers' Guild there, so I spent some time at the Herborists' Guild there.  Very interesting; I look forward to doing some gathering during my travels. 

Shortly thereafter, the Nords decided to declare war on my Kingdom.  So I prepared myself and my party to defend against the Nord invaders:

I took out several invading parties, including one that had the nerve to venture almost all the way to Praven:

I eventually saved up enough denars to purchase the Black Knights I needed to capture Jelbegi Castle:

I now plan to build up my new castle with soldiers and enough food to begin to do some real damage to the Nords.  Mess up my plans to go on a cruise, and suffer my wrath!!

JOURNAL ENTRY #3:

I've continued rousting Nord armies that dare to invade Swadian territory.  Also, I have "obtained" Knudarr Castle as well. 

After spending some time building  the garrison in my new castle, I decided to try my Herborist training, since there are two Fertile Areas nearby.  The first was a bust, but the second time I had a little success:

I was only able to find two baskets of fruit, but my party seemed to enjoy the treat.

Since then, I have collected more soldiers for my garrisons, built a Headquarters in Reyvadin for more caravans, and continued to destroy Nord armies.  Although they have asked for peace several times, thus far I have shown them no mercy.  Their King dared to bring an army of over 500 soldiers near Jelbegi, which I totally annihilated.    I have collected more Black Knights, as well as a bevy of Swadian Knights, for more conquest.

JOURNAL ENTRY #4:

My latest conquest is Tihr; here I am in my new castle:

To celebrate the occasion I have purchased myself a new horse;

My next campaign will be to move west to consolidate my holdings, culminating in the Nord Military Academy:

JOURNAL ENTRY #5:

I have purchased my ship in order to continue my conquest of the Nords, but now that I am at sea, I have lost my interest in war and, for that matter, the day-to-day drudgery of ruling.  So I will take a small complement of my most trusted soldiers and set sail to see the world.  I hereby leave ruling to my lords, and, hopefully, my son, Wayoon VI, whom I have recalled from studying music abroad.  I have arranged for him to wed a noblewoman to increase his holdings and power.  I wish him luck.

**Wayoon VI, Version 1.90**

JOURNAL ENTRY #1:

I have arrived in Praven at the request of my father, who has sailed off to who-knows where.  He has arranged for me to wed a noblewoman who he assures me has "huge tracts of land."  However, as I told him:  "Father, I want to sing...", so I am denouncing my heritage and setting out for life as a bard.

JOURNAL ENTRY #2:

I have had to travel to Tihr in order to find a Bards' Guild.  I have converted my crossbow into a stringed musical instrument.  I have also purchased a colorful robe to better my appearance for my audiences.  Here I am just before my first performance:

I performed in a small tavern, and unfortunately, I did not do well.  In fact, I did not receive even 1 denar in payment.  I did learn a few things, however, and I am sure my next performance will go better.  One thing I know for sure, a  converted crossbow does not make a good musical instrument  :oops: 

In the meanwhile, I will continue to support myself with trading a few goods, and harvesting the occasional deer herd.  I have managed to accumulate over 5000 denars this way.

JOURNAL ENTRY #3:

Since my last journal entry, I purchased some tools to improve my musical instrument.  I have had some success performing in taverns since then, but I am not yet ready for larger venues.

In my travels, I came across a Fertile Area where I spotted what appeared to be an abundance of grain.  Since I had tools, I proceeded to begin harvesting.  As it turned out, however, it was not grain, but a thorny plant to which I had a terrible reaction.

I was forced to return to Sargoth to heal; I did use this opportunity to continue my studies at the Bards' Guild.  I then continued my travels, which included a visit to this charming village:

I also encountered, or should I say dodged, several bandit groups:

All I can say is, my father and uncles would never have allowed this.  The Nords should be ashamed to neglect their teritory in such a fashion.  For a short time, I contemplated hiring a party to remedy the situation, but I realized this would just distract me from barding.

So I traveled on, visiting some picturesque Vaegirs villages:

I also ran into an interesting group of Neanderthals.  I could not understand them, but I spent some time with them, and they seemed to enjoy my music.  I hope to encounter more of them and learn more about them.

JOURNAL ENTRY #4:

I have to admit, it is so nice to not have the hassles of a party:  costs, bookkeeping, training, etc.:

When I got to Reyvaden, I had some time to kill, since I needed to rest.  However, there were no Guilds for Explorers, Herborists, or Bards, so I spent some time at the Fisherman's Guild.

I later came upon a likely fishing spot and spent some time there.  I did not have much luck, but I did catch one nice fish.  I was told at the market that such a result would be considered by most fishermen as a bad day of fishing, but I did get 75 denars for my catch, and I learned a little something about fishing as well.

In my travels, I came across more picturesque snowy villages:

I passed through the Nord kingdom on my way to visit the Rhodoks, and I was pleased to see the Nords are now patrolling their lands and taking care of the bandits:

As I revisited some of the towns, I found that my renown as a bard allowed me to play better taverns, and make better pay.  In Tihr, for example, my performance netted me 57 denars.

I am not yet ready to perform for Lords, however;  my skills do not yet meet their expectations;

JOURNAL ENTRY #5:

Since my last entry, I have done some traveling and had some adventures.  I visited some villages of the Rhodoks:

...and some picturesque Sarrinid villages:

I had a successful gathering in a fertile area and came home with 6 large bunches of grapes:

Suddenly, I was ambushed by 5 bandits!  Luckily, they were all on foot, So I rode just out of range of their weapons as much as I could, and shot them with my crossbow until all were dead:

There was little time for celebration because, during the battle, other bands had entered the area and surrounded me:

My steed and I having been seriously injured in the ambush, I was unable to outrun all the bandits, and had to pay 2 groups a handsome ransom for passage to a nearby castle.  I rested there until I was healed, and then waited until a Lord's party left the castle.  As all the bandits fled before the party, I was able to follow closely until I was clear to make my way along to the next community. 

While resting at the castle, I learned a game of chance called "sticks" from the locals.  I managed to lose 1000 denars, but I met a fellow player named Anachorita, who shares my love for barding and travel.

We decided to travel together and perform as a duet.  Luckily we chose to practice in camp before our first performance, as we had 2 completely different barding styles.

Our first performance together was a success, netting us 37 denars.  That may not sound like much, but it beat my last 3 performances, where I failed to earn anything at all.  This may work out after all...

Back
Top Bottom