The Refugee Kafuffle

What should we do about the Migrants? 2 - Mediterranean cruise boogaloo

• Let them in.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Keep them out. (By any means necessary.)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Keep them out. (In a more gentle fashion.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swap homes. (They live in yours and you move to where they come from.)

• It's too late, what's the point? The time to act was long ago.

• Let suitable migrants in using an Aussie style points system.

• Hire some mainlander bureaucrats to devise a human organisation system to sift through the moving gr

• Build a fortress-city in Syria to send the migrants to live in. (Eg; a desert-based 40k hive-city wi

• Give Migrants temporary accommodation to live in until the conflict simmers down. Then send them bac

• Give Migrants temporary accommodation to live in until the conflict simmers down. Then send them bac

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Campaign to stop the human traffickers.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Use force to send the boats back.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Tfw Vienna has finally fallen.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Raise a new iron curtain, militarize and double the numbers of the police force, and awaken and enha

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Technically not. Dublin regulations should prevent asylum shopping, so if Finland processed (or started to process; having scanned fingerprints and put the person into the EURODAC database) their asylum requests, Finland becomes a country responsible for their asylum and protection and they should not be able to obtain asylum elsewhere. As in, other countries have the right to answer refugee's future requests with: "okay, but you were already in Finland, you go there." However, while third countries are not obliged to provide asylum for someone who already has "his" country, they can do so voluntarily - so for example Germany can take "Finnish" refugees, but it does not have to (they would have to take only "German" refugees).

That is the theory. However, noone cares about actual regulations, nothing works and everything is possible.

Comrade Temuzu said:
They cant get refuge in the EU after a stunt like that, right? I thought there were systems in place to prevent that.

latest

BenKenobi said:
That is the theory. However, noone cares about actual regulations, nothing works and everything is possible.
This pisses me off to no end. It's like there's been absolutely no planning or preparation, only nominal laws no one gives a **** about anyway.

"Hey guys, I think we might have a refugee problem in a couple of years."
"Don't worry about it mang. We won't be in office anymore by then."

Also, say your fingerprints were scanned in, for the sake of example, Luxembourg. It should be pretty obvious to anyone that Lux is not the first country they've been to. At that point you might as well send them back to where they claim they come from, since they've had to lie to officials anyway in order to get their fingerprints scanned in Lux. Either that or Lux officials totally give no ****s at all, which condemns all involved parties.

Untitled. said:
"Hey guys, I think we might have a refugee problem in a couple of years."
"Don't worry about it mang. We won't be in office anymore by then."

I think that's part of the requirement for embarking on a political career, you have to have no concern for your country in the long term, as long as you get votes and can get some nice consulting position when you retire.

Untitled. said:
BenKenobi said:
This pisses me off to no end. It's like there's been absolutely no planning or preparation, only nominal laws no one gives a **** about anyway.
It should be noted that the regulations were most likely impossible to adhere to in the current situation.

Untitled. said:
Luxembourg. It should be pretty obvious to anyone that Lux is not the first country they've been to.
Well in that case Spain, Italy and Greece would recieve 100% of asylum applications. They naturally wouldn't be able to sustain that number of people leading to A: mass deportations or B: Calais style migrant camps.

So they just let a good portion through, then its no longer their problem. We should just keep pushing them north, I hear the Faeroe islands are nice this time of year.

It's not like the EU legislation ignores that. Even if Greece is the first country you're in, the EU would allot you a random country. Otherwise there would be no point in having quotas. Of course, I might be horribly misled, please correct me if that's the case.

BenKenobi said:
Untitled. said:
BenKenobi said:
It should be noted that the regulations were most likely impossible to adhere to in the current situation.
Which leads to further tinfoil hattery about the incompetence of the powers that be. Although, yeah, you are right. But how far back should we have foreseen the possibility of an event like this in order to create proper legislation and be able to adhere to it?

Untitled. said:
It's not like the EU legislation ignores that. Even if Greece is the first country you're in, the EU would allot you a random country. Otherwise there would be no point in having quotas. Of course, I might be horribly misled, please correct me if that's the case.

Officially speaking you are indeed wrong. The Dublin regulation is just as nonsensical as it sounds, that Greece, Italy and Spain should be the only places where asylum could be gained. Unofficially, however, you are right, and there are two main reasons for that. First is the lack of border control because of the Schengen Agreement which allows anyone to move across the continent undisturbed even without a passport. The second is because no one has given two ****s since the crisis started in 2014. Northern Europe's politicians and officials have systematically ignored the Dublin regulation's existence by registering asylum seekers as long as the crisis has been ongoing.

There were multiple decisions made about spreading refugees across the union to ease Italy's and Greece's burden. Those decisions were ridiculous however because the refugees were already heading to the northern countries. Besides that, even if they were moved unwillingly, the Schengen would have allowed asylum seekers to move freely where ever they wanted anyway. Also, the amount of refugees that were to be moved was 40.000 while the real number of immigrants was already hundreds of thousands and growing. The only real way to control the situation is to return border control, which some countries did after waiting a whole year doing nothing.

So yeah, job well done EU. Where's Trump that ONE time when he would have been of use.

Untitled. said:
:razz:
But thanks for correcting me.

Fixed! You're welcome!

Uh, there's more countries through which Schengen can be entered. Hungary and Slovenia, obviousy. Also Poland by going through Bulgaria, Romania and a short strip of Ukrain is plausible. The Baltics and Finland are probably too far for immigrants from the Middle East, but it's still a border. Also, most of Member States can be reached from the sea. France and Portugal are pretty realistic in that regard in the current situation, frankly I am surprised those routes aren't used more.

MadVader said:
The one through Russia all the way north to cycle into Norway was the best. But now the Teoherrings would deport those for illegal entry.
Travelling through hundreds upon hundreds of miles of Russia where there is no war and not claiming asylum. Before reaching a wealthy nation and deciding "yep this'll do". This is why I find myself getting irritated by refugees. Not that I wouldn't do the same in their shoes.

You know, people barely change do they, I was reading about the crisis and suddenly I was reminded of this:

help-wanted-irish-need-not-apply.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

f5.jpg

Also the Amsterdam of the Dutch golden era saw it's share of racism as well And I even remember from my history textbooks calls of ancient Romans to expel all the foreigners from the army and form a true Roman army again to bring back past glory etc....

Makes me wonder how our grandchildren will look at us

Lord Brutus said:
I have it from a reliable source that immigrants have reached as far north as Oulu, Finland, where they complain about how cold it is. Brr

Apparently also about food, size of subsidies and having to clean after themselves. Given the current climate, maybe they should collectively agree to think a little before talking to the press.

Back
Top Bottom