The reason competitive Warband captured hearts

Users who are viewing this thread

In a gaming industry where everything is getting easier and more inclusive to allow a greater audience to take part.
Niches and appeal are always the first that goes out of the window. Bannerlord is a great crown-prince, but not King.

The reason competitive warband truly captured the hearts of people can be summed up in a single word, intensity.
What creates a feeling of intensity in people? Ask car racers, martial artists, mountain climbers etc.

Bannerlord has still things to learn from it's progenitor before it can truly become King.

To be more concrete, why does it feel like I'm fighting underwater or carrying a bag of stones?

I just played Warband MP again for the first time in a long time. Yes, the intensity is thrilling. When in combat there, I'm on the edge of my seat trusting my muscle memory to keep me alive and begging for an opening in which to kill my attacker(s). Live or die, it's always a great adrenaline rush. I was a mid level skill player with a barely even K/D, and am always surprised to see so many people playing with extremely low KDs. I guess the thrill of combat is more important than epeen for a lot of people.

Bannerlord feels more like a slow strategy game. You watch your enemy, you try place yourself in an optimal position, then you patiently wait for them to swing so you can block it, and then return the favour. The best way to get kills is to get behind enemies and and murder them while they are fighting your teammates. It's interesting, but not thrilling.

Bannerlord isn't lacking "intensity" in my opinion. I admit, the animations seem a bit draggy, but that seems to make feinting even more unpredictable, which builds up quite some tension in duels. Battles are even more exciting in Bannerlord mp, because your army can get devastated in seconds or destroy the enemy in seconds, strongly depending on your tactical decisions, which you have to make very quickly.

why does it feel like I'm fighting underwater or carrying a bag of stones?
That's a good description. It feels awful, as if there's low gravity.

But apparently they've been making changes for the next patch, so it will be worth re-discussing the game then.

Bannerlord isn't lacking "intensity" in my opinion. I admit, the animations seem a bit draggy, but that seems to make feinting even more unpredictable, which builds up quite some tension in duels. Battles are even more exciting in Bannerlord mp, because your army can get devastated in seconds or destroy the enemy in seconds, strongly depending on your tactical decisions, which you have to make very quickly.
glitches and bugs aren't game mechanics.

bruh its MP

This is the Multiplayer Forum page

All we need is custom servers so we can host the classic 200 player events. That's what really made warband special. Multiplayer rn is just medieval cs:go

lmao they will just crash if not even the TW servers run stable with 120 people... TW needs a bigger team on networking. (or just wait for a long time and have azakhi +minions work their ass off)

"Medieval cs go" is actually one of the best "mode" or "format" Warband has, in my opinion. It's what's keeping the game alive, honestly.
Personally I never touched this part of warband, but I do recognize it is a way players competed and is very similar to the Skirmish mode in Bannerlord now.

However, I feel most multiplayer players who came to Warband got it for the massive linebattle/sheildbattle events. I got warband in 2013 after seeing some crazy youtube videos of these "linebattles" and "shieldbattles" and wanted to be a part of it. Skirmish mode does a great job of handing the smaller scale competitive community, but for everyone else having access to private servers with large amounts of players is essential to the core "mount & blade" experience.

Back
Top Bottom