The purpose of the Castle in Bannerlord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Community: Give us control over our parties!
TW: Best we can do is 3, more or less, useless stances which don´t make much difference at all!
Community:
312.jpg

Or more generic:

Community: Please TW we need/want X!
TW: Best we can do is to forward your feedback and to tell you to **** off!
Community:
vector-okaykerl-meme-gesicht-f%C3%BCr-jedes-m%C3%B6gliches-design-env-77977071.jpg
Tw:
giphy.gif

Community:
giphy.gif

Also never forget the holy sacrifice of our man Bloc made to strike back for the rejection of freelancer.

90% of the community (also steam/reddit) demands a "better" diplomancy (alliances...), it was requested and is requested since over a year? Did TW care? I even believe we still would have snowballing Khuzait today if Mexxico wasn´t as dedicated as he was, can´t proof this of course.

I think that at the time we all believed that snowballing was bad. But after every playthrough being more or less the same I believe that snowballing isn't as bad as we thought it was.

What is bad was that it was only 1 faction snowballing on every playthrough. A little snowballing from random or sometimes unexpected places, kingdoms being erradicated and also allowing for split off kingdoms to form adds some adventure to the game. In the name of balance a lot of other things had to make way. How many times haven't seen a suggestion get shot down because of balance.

They've created a very complex economy with many different parties and it's all working together beautifully. But for what price.
It is build to be balanced. All the time. At all cost.

And I honestly thought Taleworlds would look at Warband and it's top downloaded mods and implement those in its follow-up game.
All I can say for that is:
giphy.gif

The good ol´ days when we thought the game could actually become something awesome, never forget.

Not really, the community did everything it could, there were several good suggestions but everything was denied and the "solution" was the only thing that fits in the "vision".

And no, the game was better after fixing the "Khuzait problem". It´s not the solution most of the community wanted but it was still better than nothing.

90% of the community (also steam/reddit) demands a "better" diplomancy (alliances...), it was requested and is requested since over a year? Did TW care? I even believe we still would have snowballing Khuzait today if Mexxico wasn´t as dedicated as he was, can´t proof this of course.

Totally disagree. First off "Snowballing" or that being in plain english - having a dominant faction that wins again and again is not in of itself a problem. Ive used the analogy before -if you were playing a WW2 sandbox strategy -there will still be dominant factions IE Germany/Russia that will steamroll if not thwarted by other means. Its only the "other means" that matters. Anyone can simply add some math qualifiers to neuter a faction via Auto calc -thats fuqqin easy and simple minded. And again - by constantly congratulating these devs on their "suicide mission to nowheres" it gives the upper Devs an out " after working with the community, we successfully fixed their biggest complaint..."

I said it at the time in that very thread - non of this rationale is an improvement and is a red herring being chased. Yes i remember the higher ups saying "no!" to everything diplomacy related as well. And again, they deserved to be abandoned at that very point. Sure they already made their money -but at the very least it could influence their design plans on DLC's or future releases.

The game is 0% more fun post snowballing "fix".

A simple fix would be to ONLY recruit quality troops from castles. No more elite troops from your local fishing village....

In Warband recruiting was also different from towns to villages and.. castles (or only in some mods???? :grin: ...i played vanilla version only until first mods came out) But really castles nearly don't have any functions except you spent money for buildings with no further deeper sense.

Last edited:
The main function of castles in Warband was as an objective for the AI to fixate on. Secondarily, it gave the player a place to house more troops than you could drag around, while paying only half wages for them. They served no actual "strategic" function, unlike in reality.

That part hasn't changed for Bannerlord. They still do nothing to protect the territory beyond by making it dangerous to operate an army beyond them, due to the vulnerability of your supply lines to the castle garrison.

If you (and the AI) could only besiege castles and towns bordering controlled or friendly territory and could only raid ONE Village before being forced to return to controlled/friendly territory, it would prevent armies from chasing around for in-game weeks behind enemy lines, taking castles in distant parts of the map, and a lot of other nonsensical behavior.

Of course, I don't expect Taleworlds to address the problem, because they seem to view the game as nothing but a battle generator, and making castles function reasonably would very likely reduce the number of senseless battles.

[ In reply to the above post, from what I recall, both vanilla M&B and Warband only allowed recruitment in villages or taverns, not in castles. ]

A simple fix would be to ONLY recruit quality troops from castles. No more elite troops from your local fishing village....

Yeah that has never made sense.

Castles serve no purpose in this game other than a method of escape, like playing tag and running to base. They should at least house the quality troops for recruitment. It's more historical and it gives castles a purpose at least.

Castles for now are just a stepping stone to get towns and owning one represents the start of the mid game. Later in the game the only use is due to the building that reduces upkeep of the garrison, so you can make them into strategic reserves to mobilize at need.

I understand people's suggestions to make them quality recruiting centers (everyone here has played Perisno and Pendor), but I think giving that role to the villages attached to the castle is a better solution, if anything because it gives you strategic depth: you can starve a faction out of its best troops by targeting specific villages, instead of having to launch a lengthy siege.

Best would be to extend the zone of control of the castles, and make them impassable to hostile forces. Either directly, by making any movement on them impossible (except sieges), or something more soft where the garrison acts like a village militia, helping Lords in range or intercepting you outright (potentially veeeery exploitable, you'd need the ai to intervene only when it calculates overwhelming odds), making it a true risk to just breeze through enemy castles and cutting you off from desperately needed reinforcements.
What about adding a pool to the castle garrison, that is slowly refilled depending on the state of the connecting villages, this way you can still hinder quality recruitment by raiding, but you represent villagers sending their best to be trained at the lords castle

I think that at the time we all believed that snowballing was bad. But after every playthrough being more or less the same I believe that snowballing isn't as bad as we thought it was.

What is bad was that it was only 1 faction snowballing on every playthrough. A little snowballing from random or sometimes unexpected places, kingdoms being erradicated and also allowing for split off kingdoms to form adds some adventure to the game. In the name of balance a lot of other things had to make way. How many times haven't seen a suggestion get shot down because of balance.
Snowballing was, and is a bad thing. The problem is that TW have gone too far in the other direction (Stagnation) because now AI are too dumb to capture any territory at all.

But I am glad that 1 faction no longer conquers the whole map within the space of 10 years or less without player intervention. Because that sucked. It sucked not to be able to interact with a faction because it had been killed, it sucked to get to mid-game and have to face a giant superpower who you cannot fight without having the equivalent of the whole map declaring war on you at once. And even if they balanced it so every faction had an equal chance of doing this, it would still suck.

Snowballing like we used to have is bad. Stagnation like we have now is bad. The ideal is somewhere in the middle, with AI factions capturing a few towns from each other without the player's intervention, but factions not often going extinct in a 10-year period without player intervention. We had something like this for a while around 1.6 and it was good.

The purpose is you kill everyone in it and then use it make a new vassal clan with a wanderer. Also owning it deprives your enemies of being able to recruit from it's villages and forces them to travel further to recruit and compete with other lords for recruits.

I'm all for adding another function or a campaign buff though, as I said in similar topic last week or so... and probably like 10 other times. Just increase fortification bonuses the more surrounding castles their are, to make inner fiefs more defended until the castles are taken. Also could have reduces speed for enemy parties in proximity too! Hey I'd be okay with it firing off ballistas at passing enemies too!

The purpose is you kill everyone in it and then use it make a new vassal clan with a wanderer. Also owning it deprives your enemies of being able to recruit from it's villages and forces them to travel further to recruit and compete with other lords for recruits.

I'm all for adding another function or a campaign buff though, as I said in similar topic last week or so... and probably like 10 other times. Just increase fortification bonuses the more surrounding castles their are, to make inner fiefs more defended until the castles are taken. Also could have reduces speed for enemy parties in proximity too! Hey I'd be okay with it firing off ballistas at passing enemies too!
Everybody gangsta till Tom the old militia guy shoots a ballista dart through your nose for looking funny at him

Back
Top Bottom