The purpose of the Castle in Bannerlord.

Users who are viewing this thread

What is the purpose of owning or even attacking a castle in Bannerlord? You can simply go around them and they offer no strategic value. Castles were typically made so that armies would have to siege them in order to avoid being ambushed the enemy from the rear and to use them to gather supplies; King Henry V invasion of England. If castles area meant to be placed in strategic parts of map, which by the looks of the map they somewhat are, then shouldnt they be attacked first in wars? A good example of how this could work is that if you are wanting to attack a town that has a castle next to it then your army could suffer multiple penalties such as movement, attrition, even loss of life.

Please make Castles Great Again TW!

That is one of the chronic issues of Mount and Blade, which is unlikely to be solved, borders mean nothing, strategically placed fortifications mean nothing, armies just pass right by them and there is no consequence to that. They are trying to adjust the army behaviours, in order to at least make the armies act as if the borders has relevance, but i think that is not enough, there is an obvious lack of gameplay mechanic.

Well, the only interesting mechanics linked with castles I can think about:
Bound villages will offer more noble troops for recruitment.
Those fiefs will help you recruiting lords/or when promoting companions to vassals.
Prisoners deposit for relation boost.
Allow AI to refill their parties from garrisons.

That's it...
So clearly, there is room for improvement...

That is one of the chronic issues of Mount and Blade, which is unlikely to be solved, borders mean nothing, strategically placed fortifications mean nothing, armies just pass right by them and there is no consequence to that. They are trying to adjust the army behaviours, in order to at least make the armies act as if the borders has relevance, but i think that is not enough, there is an obvious lack of gameplay mechanic.
Very true. I would like to see more behaviour involved, or make Castles a menace to ignore. They could produce friendly units that wander the local terrain like Manhunters did hunting Looters, but more buffed. Something that makes castles important to take down.

Very true. I would like to see more behaviour involved, or make Castles a menace to ignore. They could produce friendly units that wander the local terrain like Manhunters did hunting Looters, but more buffed. Something that makes castles important to take down.
A simple fix to make castles more important would be to make army food consumption go up the further they press into enemy territory. That would simulate having supply lines cut off or harassed and forces enemies to take out castles along the way to a town instead of just bypassing them. It wouldn't make it impossible to have a quick dive into enemy territory but long sieges and campaigns would be punished as they should be. The only issue I see is that the ai would have to understand that bypassing castles is an issue. Sadly Taleworlds won't do this for some reason like "too complicated" or "not our vision", but hopefully some talented modder can/will do something like this.

Exactly.

A simple fix to make castles more important would be to make army food consumption go up the further they press into enemy territory. That would simulate having supply lines cut off or harassed and forces enemies to take out castles along the way to a town instead of just bypassing them. It wouldn't make it impossible to have a quick dive into enemy territory but long sieges and campaigns would be punished as they should be. The only issue I see is that the ai would have to understand that bypassing castles is an issue. Sadly Taleworlds won't do this for some reason like "too complicated" or "not our vision", but hopefully some talented modder can/will do something like this.

While your idea has merit, army starvation hasn't been fixed since 1.0.

I raised a similar idea many moons ago:

Another well-worn topic on which a lot of feedback has been provided. My opinion in a nutshell:
  • Castles as the only place to recruit noble/elite troops from the hand of a castellar, sarjeant or other form of notable npc.
  • Possibility to define patrols in surrounding areas.
  • Allied troop sheltering
  • Training bonus (quicker leveling up for troops garrisoned there)
  • Zone of control*
(*) Repositioning of castles at strategic and bottleneck points in world map needed.

A simple fix would be to ONLY recruit quality troops from castles. No more elite troops from your local fishing village....

I second this, and on what u said
Castles were typically made so that armies would have to siege them in order to avoid being ambushed the enemy from the rear
I sow a mod that had attrition so whenever you're at war with an enemy and wonder inside their territory u lose troops by pop up ambushes, although it was only text it was something at least, of course always relying on mods is inconvenience in my opinion so implementing it natively would be nice

It would also be fine if the player and the AI would only be able to siege "boarder" towns/castles. I think this would "fix" a lot of issues for the AI on the campaign map but would also provide less options for the player. But most of the time I also only care about fiefs at my boarder and not at the other end of the world so...

Another well-worn topic on which a lot of feedback has been provided. My opinion in a nutshell:
  • Castles as the only place to recruit noble/elite troops from the hand of a castellar, sarjeant or other form of notable npc.
  • Zone of control*
(*) Repositioning of castles at strategic and bottleneck points in world map needed.
+100

but i think we'll need modders to do this.

• Zone of control*
Sadly Taleworlds will never do any of this.

• Zone of control*

giphy-1-2.gif

Would love that. Just a more elaborate court system in place which requires you to actually go inside the castle and talk to notables.
Or set up patrol units to kill some looters and scout the surrounding terrain for enemy armies. Perhaps engage them as well.

+100

but i think we'll need modders to do this.

Sadly Taleworlds will never do any of this.
giphy-1-2.gif

Would love that. Just a more elaborate court system in place which requires you to actually go inside the castle and talk to notables.
Or set up patrol units to kill some looters and scout the surrounding terrain for enemy armies. Perhaps engage them as well.

It's really a shame that many of us already think that certain things will only be brought in by modders, it's a fact ??. However, and to paraphrase fivebucks... I just want a native base game worthy of it.

I know from expert sources that everything on that list I mentioned is technically possible to do without a lot of code juggling. It's the will to do it, because they are capable of doing it for sure.

It's really a shame that many of us already think that certain things will only be brought in by modders, it's a fact ??. However, and to paraphrase fivebucks... I just want a native base game worthy of it.

I know from expert sources that everything on that list I mentioned is technically possible to do without a lot of code juggling. It's the will to do it, because they are capable of doing it for sure.
I've known for awhile that the game isn't going to be a shade of what I'd hoped it would be. At this point all I want is a stable game that modders can do something with because Taleworlds is too apathetic to put any more in depth features in this game. Imho it's time for them to fully release this game and move on to the next title that will probably come out in 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom