MP Musket Era The Peninsular War - Napoleonic Warband mod - scene editors needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ealdormann Hussey observes:  "There's an old chestnut that appears in discussion from time to time, whether or not it's true I couldn't say. It goes that British troops during the American revolution saw their rifle bearing opponents as morally reprehensible, by actively aiming at an enemy they were guilty of murder, while British troops and American regulars by firing a sightless musket were merely committing the receiver to the judgement of god. An interesting if impeccably flawed logic if true."

And an interesting consonance with the attitudes of modern regular troops towards snipers.  The latter being almost universally shunned as murderous maniacs, while a modern soldier spraying on full rock and roll or popping off Dragons and RPGs is just a regular ol' guy.  It's interesting that snipers often subject their own selves to this kind of condemnation:  the burn-out rate for snipers is famous.

As for the British emphasis on marksmanship, if I appear to have downplayed it, it is because it does tend to get exaggerated.  True, the Brits used live ammo in training.  To some extent, and if the Colonel was willing to pay for it.  According to Farwell (I believe), there was no Government provision for using live ammo in training for a good part of the 19th century.  I haven't seen the British training manuals you mention, however, so I don't know how accurate that assertion is.  I do remember reading somewhere-or-other that a line regiment typically only fired about 40 live rounds a year, however, which is better than nothing, but not exactly intensive training.

OTOH, British marksmanship was evidently superior to French, as can be verified by relative body counts in the instances of face-to-face volley exchanges between deployed battalions which occurred a couple of times in the Peninsula.  (Albuera and Salamanca, eg)  In those cases, casualties on both sides tended to be terrible, but the redcoats do have an edge.

And of course, the Old Contemptibles were amazing.  Pity they all got killed.

(btw, the "Mad Minute" was preserved in US Army tactics at least through Vietnam, and may still be doctrine, for all I know.  Of course, there are those who disapprove because it wastes ammo.)

-- Mal

Provision for live rounds was introduced just prior to the Crimean war I believe, but as you say to varying degrees it had been used prior to that date. 40 rounds seems reasonable for a line regiment, however excavations at Shorncliffe suggest that the light infantry used considersbly more (lots of lead found, and most of it would have been taken from the butts after firing as lead is and was an expensive commodity)

Regarding the mad minute, it seems a bit less impressive GI Joe doing it with his automatic rifle than tommy with his bolt action :razz: As for wasting ammunition, this seems strange as the emphasis in the British army (so presumably in the US Army) was on both speed and accuracy (both were achieved by altering the SMLE drill to firing with the midde finger, allowing the index and thumb to work the bolt while the middle remained poised on the trigger, it also reduced the extent of arm movement which caused soldiers to drop the rifle from line of aim)
If you ever get chance to have a whirl with an SMLE give it a go, I once managed to fire 28 rounds to the minute, but the accuracy was appaling. Similarly to meet the required accuracy at that distance it took me just under 9 minutes, nine times as long as tommy atkins.

It is strange (if explainable) that the British army were apparently better marksmen than their contemporaries, similar claims have been made about British troops abilities in close combat (particularly the gaelic regiments) which are impossible to substantiate in any way, or even rationalalise in any way (although fear of men in skirts could be pleaded).

Ruthven said:
I'm leaving for the UK very soon Dain. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

Hussey, you're next on my list.

I'll welcome you enthusiastically, ecstatically and indeed erotically with a nice, naked and naturally naughty embrace dontcha know.

Ruthven said:
Pics and I might accept.  :razz:

How an embrace be conveyed through daguerrotype is beyond me.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
95Rifles said:
Ruthven is 13, be very careful.

ITS A TRAP!

In Hussey's embrace no one can hear you dial child line...
In the grandest  tradition of petulent defence, he threatened to kill me first your honour.

Believe me, Ruthven always has Chris Hanson behind the bushes as backup during encounters.

Also, I can imagine the greeting!

Hussey: Who is it??

Ruthven: It's okay! I'm from the internet!

I whipped these up for the mod. Just a first draft, pending Dain's approval.

mb5.jpg

mb4.jpg

These images are taken from period artwork, which gives it a historical feel I think.

quick update:

There is no issue with self-reproductive muskets in this mod.

Dain/Fei, do you want me to upload our stuff if it is still work in progress, or hold off a few more days (maybe a week) to try and finish it?

It's all usable, just needs polish etc etc..

PS 5arge - I've got a few more of those, if you look on the repository
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=9&id=1080

for some which may be appropriate...

Amman de Stazia said:
PS 5arge - I've got a few more of those, if you look on the repository
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=9&id=1080

for some which may be appropriate...

I will take a peek at those tonight when I get home from work, although I am having fun making the .dds files on my own...

retextures for alliance troops:

The following applies on a 'majority of line regiments' basis:

Anti French Spanish
Spanish infantry cut is similar to French line cut currently in mod, wearing bicorns (Bearskins for grenadiers).  Usually white coat - notable exceptions being the Irish regiments in sky blue.
Spanish heavy cavalry - long tailcoat like french dragoons, but lapels not cut back so far/high, bicorn.  Always yellow coat for dragoons.  12 line heavy cavalry regiments (not dragoons) wore dark blue coats.
Spanish light cavalry - light green, hussar style uniforms (like french hussars of c1:cool:

Regiments of the Juntas (Voluntarios)
As line infantry but with a lot of brown cloth used as well as white, which was the officially prescribed colour.
Also, some regiments in green (Regt Muerte) or red (Regt Cortes).

Pro French Spanish & Portoguese
Mainly brown uniforms of French cut.  Some units were uniformed entirely in French gear, except for swapping tricolour cocades for red/yellow cocades.
Cavalry (lancers and chasseurs) - same.  French cut with mainly brown cloth.

Anti French Portoguese
British cut uniforms in midnight blue for line, brown for light.  British style shako with a peaked brass band rather than faceplate, bearing the reg. number. (Infantry)
Cavalry in dark blue (British cut) with British tarleton.  Some units used brown cloth...

Confederation of the Rhine (pro French)
French cut of uniforms, white, French style shakos, some units' grenadiers with bearskins, some with shakos.

Vistula Legion
4-cornered shako and square-cut tunic, in a darker blue than Fench line.  Ranks were named differently, eg Marechal-de-logis for sergeant in cavalry.

Duchy of Warsaw
As French line, but grenadiers retained bearskins (no plates) throughout.

Kingdom of Naples
French cut of uniforms, white, French style shakos.  Poorly equipped.
Kingdom of Italy same uniforms but much better quality.  Dragoon elites and many officers wore bearskins without plates.

Swiss Regiments
French cut uniforms in a shade of red slightly darker and duller than British redcoats, which very quickly became violet on exposure to light.

Regt (Legion) Irlandaise
French cut uniforms in emerald green.

German units other than the Confederation:
(eg regt Prusse -  A mongrel mix of uniforms, as many were deserters or PoW from german states, they brought their own uniforms.  Can get some more details if needed)

Brunswickers: (pro british)
A dark blue/grey/green version of the rifle regiments' uniform, with a french-style shako usually plumed black.

Swiss regiments
de Roll and Dillon regiments: Uniforms cut as british line, also red.

KGL
as British, except for facing colours.

Highland regiments:  (I know, integral part of British army....)
71st (later Highland light) kilted until 1809.
92nd & 42nd officially kilted throughout, but only received issues of kilts before arrival in Pen and then again in 1812/1813, so lots of sources show them in trews.

Thrash_ said:
Is this Mod out yet?
When yes, is it for Version 1.011 or other Versions?
Please Download Link if its out :wink:

It isn't out yet. And I hope you've got a fireproof shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom