MP Musket Era The Peninsular War - Napoleonic Warband mod - scene editors needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amman de Stazia said:
Interestingly enough, I found a source for the Highland Light Infantry wearing kilts - Their uniform according to Haythornthwaite's "Uniforms of the Peninsula War" should be trews...

Also interesting (and offtopic) is the word "trews", that has evolved in the Portuguese word "truxes". Meaning tights or underwear. LOL

Anyway... are we there, yet?  :roll:

I shouldn't think so, it's from "Triubhas" (or later "Truis") in Gaelic, the word trouser itself is derived of "Truis", replacing the Latinised Roman "Bracca" (i.e. Breeches). Which of course explains why it has been Anglified (not many Portuguese adaptions in English).

Ref, The Oxford Etymological dictionary.

Ealdormann Hussey said:
I shouldn't think so, it's from "Triubhas" (or later "Truis") in Gaelic, the word trouser itself is derived of "Truis", replacing the Latinised Roman "Bracca" (i.e. Breeches). Which of course explains why it has been Anglified (not many Portuguese adaptions in English).

Ref, The Oxford Etymological dictionary.

Are we there yet? :mrgreen:

Selothi said:
Cut the etymological spam, please. Thank you.

Go **** yourself you arse munching wankpot, place your petite testicles upon the anvil of communication and give them a sound and thorough pounding with the hammer of being too ****ing mouthy for your own good. Nosey ****.

And you have the gall to thank me for something which now I have little intent to do you whining todger taster, in regard of this I feel duty bound to inform you that "Pantaloon" as a description of a garment was given in cause of an Italian  renaissance comedic character who wore distinctive trousers.
Good day.

On a lighter note, I passed the Royal Navy interviews and intelligence tests today, and still had time to make some more colour variations for the civilian clothes.

Wow, talk about over-reacting to a simple request to STOP BEING OFF-TOPIC in a mod development thread. But meh, if you feel so inclined to hijack a thread to tell us all of the ancient origins of the various words used to describe leg-wear, be my guess. I'm not saying it sucks or anything, etymology can be very interesting, I'm seeing it hasn't got a place in this thread which is being hijacked way too often.

Oh, and BTW, nice job on those tests. Now, get that head out of your ass and wash it in the water you might just be spending your time on.

Chill Hussey, Selothi was making a slight joke.. you may be as well but please don't scare the intelligent fans away :razz:

If it came to a choice between kilt or trws, I might either find a regiment that was still permitted to wear kilts (there were a few from what I've read? But perhaps I'm wrong) or throw exact historical accuracy out of the window for that particular thing in the cause of variation (Otherwhise we'll just end up with another line regiment only with different facing colours,hats and trousers!) and pandering to the cliche a little.. well not really a cliche, but you know what I mean! It's what people would probably expect from a Highland regiment. So the 24th is a somewhat fictional regiment (In terms of it's history and uniform, I know there was a real 24th) so I could make up a Highland regiment the way I like (I fancy a facing colour that isn't blue or yellow)

Hussey: No, the alpha channels were likely a leftover from the first British line skin I did. Kill 'em.. that's great that you managed to do some variations.. did you manage to create a few variations with the new textures in the BRF?

Dain Ironfoot said:
...If it came to a choice between kilt or trws, I might either find a regiment that was still permitted to wear kilts (there were a few from what I've read? But perhaps I'm wrong) or throw exact historical accuracy out of the window for that particular thing in the cause of variation (Otherwhise we'll just end up with another line regiment only with different facing colours,hats and trousers!) and pandering to the cliche a little.. well not really a cliche, but you know what I mean! It's what people would probably expect from a Highland regiment. So the 24th is a somewhat fictional regiment (In terms of it's history and uniform, I know there was a real 24th) so I could make up a Highland regiment the way I like (I fancy a facing colour that isn't blue or yellow)...

I would have to agree. Although even if they were just another line unit with different colored facing I would still choose the scots. :smile:

I thought there was a Highland grenadier or engineer group that wore kilts. (I could be wrong, but this was based off remembering a research paper I did years ago)

Well it was a somewhat bizzare that regiments were forbidden to wear kilts for a few years! Luckily by the Hundred days the kilts were flapping in the breeze again

Selothi said:
Wow, talk about over-reacting to a simple request to STOP BEING OFF-TOPIC in a mod development thread. But meh, if you feel so inclined to hijack a thread to tell us all of the ancient origins of the various words used to describe leg-wear, be my guess. I'm not saying it sucks or anything, etymology can be very interesting, I'm seeing it hasn't got a place in this thread which is being hijacked way too often.

Oh, and BTW, nice job on those tests. Now, get that head out of your ass and wash it in the water you might just be spending your time on.

Sorry old chap flippancy doesn't come off well across the internet it appears. An emoticon with a tongue out would be appropriate, but I can't bring myself to add to the worlds already manifold misery with another one of those sardonic evil smiling little yellow bastards...
Dain clicked me, that said he's known me for longer so realises I can be somewhat... Erratic; best not to take anything I say particularly seriously, even if I'm being of the rude persuasion. That said, I think it was quite a well constructed and thought through bit of insanity and vitriol though what?
To be honest though, you need to consider what "spam" is. As pretty much all information pertaining to the development of this mod is discussed off forum, and as the flow of news is heralded with a degree of vigour by Dain, historic discussion relevant to the era is frankly harmless, and not, speaking humbly, suitable to be classed with all the drivel this thread tends to accumulate, such as people asking whether its ready, if there will be Prussians and so on. Which similarly is at least tenuously on topic, but is most certainly "spam" to use the internet patois.
I should add also from my own previous mod threads, it is only decent to leave the author of said thread to make the distinction of what it relevant or permittable in his own thread.

Dain Ironfoot said:
Well it was a somewhat bizarre that regiments were forbidden to wear kilts for a few years! Luckily by the Hundred days the kilts were flapping in the breeze again

Tail end of the Dress Act me old pumpkin, although the army was exempt from the kilt ban it was still an unpopular symbol of the Jacobite (especially as most Officers of Highland regiments were English or at least lowland Scots), and as the high command of the Army of the era in question were older chaps they had lived through the Dress act and even Even though it started reappearing to a degree in the military and civvie street after the Dress act was repealed in 1782 the kilt never really hit the scene big time until 1822 when George IV wore one on his trip to Scotland.

QuailLover said:
I thought there was a Highland grenadier or engineer group that wore kilts. (I could be wrong, but this was based off remembering a research paper I did years ago)

I'm afraid there's no such thing as a Highland Engineer old boy. As for Grenadiers sporting the free and easy attire of the Highlander whilst their lessers languished leg-bound, I've certainly never heard of that happening.

Meh, no offence taken nor meant to be given. I was more referring to the illiterate people above you saying "epic xd" and "lol", and other **** of the sorts. I realise though I aimed it at you. Anyway, all taken care of, done, and over.

And I'd like to point out that whether that "accent" I sense behind your typing, be it intentional or not, is awesome ! Nice and British, and whatnot (chappy).

So finally, if I understand correctly, the presence of kilts in this mod is wholly down to Dain ? Well, let's hope he empathises with those who like to ... um, air their parts.

The 72nd or the 42nd are the best bets to be honest, they are along with the 92nd the most famous highland regiments, and the 92nd were most definately trousered. Give the Highland light infantry (as in Light infantry regiment rather than company) trews if you're including them (which you should as that fantastic bonnet Highelf made would go splendidly with a pair of trews) and any other scots can have trousers or breeches.

Dain, the alphas are history, geography, archaeology or indeed any social science of your choice.
By the new textures what d'you mean? I just took the tailcoat1/2/3/4.dds files and went straight at them. brfedit is being dueced tricky on my laptop so I have avoidedthe brf files except to rectify those wee bugs stopping the mod from booting. Did you want them altered in brfedit so as not to create extra texture files? I'm not entirely sure how to go about that but I'm happy to have a crack at it.

Selothi,
I have in the last five or six months overdosed on the writings P.G. Wodehouse (of Jeeves and Wooster fame) so I type and indeed talk with a distinct taste of 1930's Britain.

Oh dear, Jeeves and Wooster alert ! Anyway, good to hear we're getting kilts (or so it seems), 'cos I kinda really like kilts ...

Hussey: No, in the BRF edit there are about 3 coat patterns with 7 variations of sashes, pouches, crossbelts etc.. at the moment though they all have the same brown jacket texture though.. basically need clone the models and apply the different textures to them.. no worries if that'll kill your computer though, just upload your work on the dev forum and one of us can take a crack at it!

Selothi: Kilts will of course be a feature of the future when I add a highland regiment :razz:

Ealdormann Hussey said:
I'm afraid there's no such thing as a Highland Engineer old boy. As for Grenadiers sporting the free and easy attire of the Highlander whilst their lessers languished leg-bound, I've certainly never heard of that happening.

As I said...I could be wrong.

The 42nd started off with kilts in the peninsula, as indeed did the 92nd.  The 92nd were reduced to re-working their kilts into trews because they did not receive replacement issue, and as the hardship of campaign reduced their kilts to ever worse condition, they found that there was enough material left for at least one, often two, pairs of trews.

The 42nd (if I remember correctly) managed to keep their kilts....  Or maybe, they always conspired to have the soldiers kilted who posed for artists and historians?

All their pipers would have been kilted, that tradition survived right up to the Battle of Arnhem in '44.

Facing colours for Highland regiments: 1st, royal blue; 3rd (Scots Guards) royal blue; 26th (Cameronians) pale yellow; 42nd, royal blue;  70th (Glasgow), Black; 71st (Highland Lt Infantry), Buff; 72nd, Yellow; 73rd, Blue-Green; 74th, White;  75th,Yellow; 78th, Buff; 79th (Cameron Highlanders), Blue-Green; 90th (Perthshire), Buff; 92nd, yellow;

I know only a few of these served in the peninsula, but there you are: Lots of Scots.

Whilst checking these, I discovered that the KGL Light had blue-green facings: I'd always thought they were royal blue

(ref also http://www.napoleonguide.com/infantry_ukcol2.htm)

Ealdormann Hussey said:
Selothi said:
Cut the etymological spam, please. Thank you.

Go **** yourself you arse munching wankpot, place your petite testicles upon the anvil of communication and give them a sound and thorough pounding with the hammer of being too ****ing mouthy for your own good. Nosey ****.

And you have the gall to thank me for something which now I have little intent to do you whining todger taster, in regard of this I feel duty bound to inform you that "Pantaloon" as a description of a garment was given in cause of an Italian  renaissance comedic character who wore distinctive trousers.
Good day.

On a lighter note, I passed the Royal Navy interviews and intelligence tests today, and still had time to make some more colour variations for the civilian clothes.

If I could place this entire post in my signature, I would, an absolute classic. Bravo sir, bravo indeed!

Dain Ironfoot said:
Luckily by the Hundred days the kilts were flapping in the breeze again

The kilts weren't the only things flapping in the breeze.

Hussar uniforms:

Regt    Dolman        Collar        Cuffs        Pelisse        Breeches        Lace
1st      sky blue      sky blue      red        sky blue      sky blue        white
*2nd      brown      brown        sky blue      brown      sky blue      white
*3rd      grey        grey          red          grey          grey        red
4th      blue          blue          red            red            blue          yellow
5th      sky blue  sky blue      white          white        sky blue          yellow
6th      red          red          red            blue            blue          yellow
7th      green          red          red          green          red          yellow
8th      green          red          red          green          red          white
9th      red          sky blue        sky blue  sky blue    sky blue      yellow
*10th    sky blue      red          red          sky blue          sky blue      white
11th      blue          red          red          blue              blue          yellow
12th      red          sky blue      sky blue  sky blue        sky blue      white
13th      brown      brown      sky blue    brown          sky blue        white

Note: The regiments all had black plumes, with the 6th's having a red tip, the 9th's a white tip, the 10th's a red base and the 12th's a yellow tip.

* = served in Peninsula between 1810 and 1812
If anyone can add to the list of hussar regiments who served in Spain between '10 and '12, please reply accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom