The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Danish Auxiliary Corps wasn't created until the Armistice of June 1813, unless you mean von Ewald's corps that helped put down von Schill's Freikorps but they were not incorporated into the French army the way their Dutch counterparts at Stralsund were. In l'Aigle you'll have to take over Europe with independent Danish forces (though I'm sure you won't mind that).

Bluehawk said:
The Danish Auxiliary Corps wasn't created until the Armistice of June 1813, unless you mean von Ewald's corps that helped put down von Schill's Freikorps but they were not incorporated into the French army the way their Dutch counterparts at Stralsund were. In l'Aigle you'll have to take over Europe with independent Danish forces (though I'm sure you won't mind that).
That was not a Danish corps, that was an army that also incorporated a small group of Danish soldiers alongside German, French, Swedish, Polish, Austrian, Prussian and Russian soldiers with the odd Dutchman thrown in.

Bluehawk said:
The corps where incorporated into a french armécorps but got seperated from after some time because the danish king where afraid that prussia and sweden would push up in holsten (holstein) so he placed the corps in holsten, and no i won't mind that  :grin:

Docm30 said:
Although Napoleon exerted a great deal of influence over the Duchy, he didn't rule it. Not officially, at least. It was ruled by Frederick Augustus, Duke of Warsaw and King of Saxony. The Duchy was never ruled by Prussia because it was only created in 1807 by Napoleon out of former territories taken from Prussia and Austria.
+1

>>> silentdeath838
"The Duchy of Warsaw (Polish: Księstwo Warszawskie; French: Duché de Varsovie; German: Herzogtum Warschau; Russian: Варшавское герцогство, Varshavskoye gertsogstvo) was a Polish state established by Napoleon I in 1807 from the Polish lands ceded by the Kingdom of Prussia under the terms of the Treaties of Tilsit. The duchy was held in personal union by one of Napoleon's allies, King Frederick Augustus I of Saxony. Following Napoleon's failed invasion of Russia, the duchy was occupied by Prussian and Russian troops until 1815, when it was formally partitioned between the two countries at the Congress of Vienna."

for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Warsaw

-VEINRUS- said:
Docm30 said:
Although Napoleon exerted a great deal of influence over the Duchy, he didn't rule it. Not officially, at least. It was ruled by Frederick Augustus, Duke of Warsaw and King of Saxony. The Duchy was never ruled by Prussia because it was only created in 1807 by Napoleon out of former territories taken from Prussia and Austria.
+1

>>> silentdeath838
"The Duchy of Warsaw (Polish: Księstwo Warszawskie; French: Duché de Varsovie; German: Herzogtum Warschau; Russian: Варшавское герцогство, Varshavskoye gertsogstvo) was a Polish state established by Napoleon I in 1807 from the Polish lands ceded by the Kingdom of Prussia under the terms of the Treaties of Tilsit. The duchy was held in personal union by one of Napoleon's allies, King Frederick Augustus I of Saxony. Following Napoleon's failed invasion of Russia, the duchy was occupied by Prussian and Russian troops until 1815, when it was formally partitioned between the two countries at the Congress of Vienna."

for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Warsaw
Danish "Hertugdømmet Warszawa" lol  :grin:

I'm not trying to attack him, but this "silentdeath838" fellow seems too pedantic for his age and apparent knowledge (and grammatical abilities)... Everything he writes about the Duchy of Warsaw seems to just be a spattering of facts about Poland over a few hundred years crudely applied to the Napoleonic Wars. The comment about the Swedish was really the icing on the cake.

All that aside, however, what country has high school exams in August?

Austupaio said:
I hate to be a **** about it, most of this thread is a handful of people constantly nit-picking every poster for etiquette but the OP isn't that long. It takes maybe 10 minutes to read it.

Less than five, honestly.

Also, how has nobody raged over this yet:
silentdeath838 said:
Actually no I did not. But I am trying to add some historical background to it.

I actually laughed at this a little bit.

Captain_Fozzington said:
Also, how has nobody raged over this yet:
silentdeath838 said:
Actually no I did not. But I am trying to add some historical background to it.

I actually laughed at this a little bit.

Trust me. I have too. I've been sitting back with a box of popcorn enjoying the new blockbuster, "Silentdeath838 Knows All!"

silentdeath838 said:
Bluehawk said:
That was not a Danish corps, that was an army that also incorporated a small group of Danish soldiers alongside German, French, Swedish, Polish, Austrian, Prussian and Russian soldiers with the odd Dutchman thrown in.

Ehm. No. The Dutch contingent that defeated Von Schill, together with a Danish support corps, consisted of the 6th and 9th Regiments of the Line, the (2nd) Kuirassier regiment and two companies mounted artillery. The entire force was commanded by (Dutch) Lieutenant-General Gratien. It should also be mentioned the Kuirassiers were under command of (then Lt.Colonel) Trip, the very same who would command the heavy cavarly Brigade at Waterloo which did splendidly even according to Wellington.

The Dutch forces were part of the bigger French army but on paper they were their own little corps. It's however pretty normal to find one regiment here and one regiment there that should be in the same brigade. I could type it all out, but I don't think anyone would find it really interesting. Just speaking about battles: At the siege of Stralsund, the 2nd Regiment of the line, the 2nd and 3rd Hussars and multiple foot artillery companies were present, and at Friedland the 2nd Kuirassiers (There they are, again) and a company of mounted artillery fought with the army.

The Dutch auxiliary corps in 1809 was smaller then that of 1807 (In 1807 it was actually the entire army minus the Guard), and would only fight against Von Schill and other freikorpes in Germany. On the 5th of August they were all called back. The full Dutch army was needed to fight the British invasion of Walcheren.

Docm30 said:
If anything 'unfolds' I'll lock this thread again.

Don't call people stupid here. If you have a problem with what someone says, address what they say, don't just insult them.
This cracked me up; the way Docm handles things is so effective that for some strange reason, I find it funny. I was going to continue the rant, but then I read the locking bit. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom