The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captured Joe said:
Personally I consider Richard Sharpe a di*k.
It's beyond my grasp why there isn't a TV series about some Württemberger König Jägers in the Napoleonic wars; they were much more badass and cooler than the 95th Rifles, IMO.

But whatever, everybody needs his heroes I guess.

Nothing is stopping other nations from writing Napoleonic epics, I welcome them too. For now the most well known ones are Anglophile representations of the era. Sharpe has been around for yoinks and Hornblower decades.

Also, blame Marketeering for TV and movies for not seeing the era as productive money makers. 

I'd kill for a good Napoleonic movie focusing on a group of French soldiers through the era, or the lesser known Marshals.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Besides, it's the only series where Sean Bean lasts a considerable length of time.  :razz:

I swear, every time I see Ned Stark's face my heart breaks a little more.

SeanBeansShako said:
I'd kill for a good Napoleonic movie focusing on a group of French soldiers through the era, or the lesser known Marshals.

'The Duellists' springs to mind, less about a group of soldiers and more about two officers who, as the title suggests, have a feud going on. It was Ridley Scott's debut film and won an award for best debut, as well as being praised for the accuracy of the fencing techniques, as well as French uniforms and conduct.

Regarding the 7th Queen's Own again, I've noticed the barrel sash looks black and white, shouldn't it be blue and white for the 7th? I can't find a particularly good picture to illustrate this, this is probably the best I could find.

uk-7th-queens-l.jpg

Just wondering what kind of sound do you have for the muskets is it like the popping sound heard occasionally through the Sharpe series or more the like The patriot movie sound?

In Spain, there is the long series Curro Jiménez. Its old ('75 or '76 IIRC), its not really historically accurate and the acting isnt good, but its fairly entertaining.

SeanBeansShako said:
Also, blame Marketeering for TV and movies for not seeing the era as productive money makers.
I'd blame Sergei Bondarchuk. The massive failure of Waterloo to this day prevents studios from investing in Napoleonic films. It even caused investors to back out of Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon biopic.

Ililsa said:
'The Duellists' springs to mind, less about a group of soldiers and more about two officers who, as the title suggests, have a feud going on. It was Ridley Scott's debut film and won an award for best debut, as well as being praised for the accuracy of the fencing techniques, as well as French uniforms and conduct.

Regarding the 7th Queen's Own again, I've noticed the barrel sash looks black and white, shouldn't it be blue and white for the 7th? I can't find a particularly good picture to illustrate this, this is probably the best I could find.

uk-7th-queens-l.jpg
Dighton (painting from life, mind you) shows the 7th in black and white sashes. Your Hamilton-Smith there was painted after the fact (1813 I believe, after that uniform had been abandoned). Considering such, I have to assume Robert Dighton's illustration is the accurate one. He could be wrong, but when I'm presented with reliable yet differing sources (as I often am), I have to make a call.

Back to the subject of movies, I'd go for The Duellists if all you want is nice uniforms and sword-fighting, but be warned that there is no semblance of a plot whatsoever.

Leberecht Reinhold said:
In Spain...its not really historically accurate and the acting isnt good, but its fairly entertaining.
So, Spanish Sharpe, basically?

Helfy said:
Does he happen to be Irish?
The 95th actually recruited primarily from Scotland. A practice that started when the Experimental Rifle Corps was first founded and certain regiments were ordered to send their best men to join. In reality they sent their least-desirables, which for English officers meant Scots.

The 95th even had a bagpiper, paid for by Major Cameron of the 1st battalion (not even Highland regiments were allowed to pay bagpipers with regimental funds).

Ililsa said:

I love that movie!

I've pretty much seen it yeah. Decent movie at that too.

I do agree the actions of the Prussians, Russians, Austrians and Spanish should be coveredl. And at least we got Barry Lyndon out of that deal Docm.

I'm hoping in the next few years the price for CGI will drop enough so we can get a few new movie epics.

Hey Docm, when this mod comes out, will we get new and orignal missions? Like the first mission from the merchant is to say join the army, and then you raise up, and then generals with give you missions like to take positions and yadda yadda? I think that'd be pretty cool  :smile: anyways, good luck, looking forward to this mod and its awesome graphics and models.

Docm30 said:
Dighton (painting from life, mind you) shows the 7th in black and white sashes. Your Hamilton-Smith there was painted after the fact (1813 I believe, after that uniform had been abandoned). Considering such, I have to assume Robert Dighton's illustration is the accurate one. He could be wrong, but when I'm presented with reliable yet differing sources (as I often am), I have to make a call.

Fair enough, if I find anything more reliable I'll post it here.

Leberecht Reinhold said:
Leberecht Reinhold said:
In Spain...its not really historically accurate and the acting isnt good, but its fairly entertaining.
So, Spanish Sharpe, basically?

If anything, Sharpe is a British Curro. Sharpe started in 1981, Curro in 1976. Its less military based. Take a look if you are curious.

Docm30 said:
Ililsa said:

uk-7th-queens-l.jpg

Come on guys should have called me up on this one :wink: According to C.E.Franklin (widely regarded as the most accurate guide on British Napoleonic uniforms) the troopers wore a sash wish blue cords and a white barrel.

There it is gentlemen,the matter is settled :wink:

jezza93 said:
Come on guys should have called me up on this one :wink: According to C.E.Franklin (widely regarded as the most accurate guide on British Napoleonic uniforms) the troopers wore a sash wish blue cords and a white barrel.

It'll be a cold day in the underworld when I take a tertiary source over a secondary one without a damned good reason. Lacking a primary source (as in an extant example) or official regulations stating the colours, I have to go with the secondary source I trust the most, which is Dighton. Franklin be damned.

Anyway, I was thinking of scrapping the 7th entirely, as they were mostly destroyed during the retreat to Corunna. In fact, no British hussar regiments served abroad during the period the mod covers. I may end up replacing them with a KGL hussar regiment, one of which served in the Peninsula at the time and another at Walcheren, which I consider to be in the mod's scope.

There it is, gentlemen. The matter is settled.

Docm30 said:
jezza93 said:

It'll be a cold day in the underworld when I take a tertiary source over a secondary one without a damned good reason. Lacking a primary source (as in an extant example) or official regulations stating the colours, I have to go with the secondary source I trust the most, which is Dighton. Franklin be damned.

Anyway, I was thinking of scrapping the 7th entirely, as they were mostly destroyed during the retreat to Corunna. In fact, no British hussar regiments served abroad during the period the mod covers. I may end up replacing them with a KGL hussar regiment, one of which served in the Peninsula at the time and another at Walcheren, which I consider to be in the mod's scope.

There it is, gentlemen. The matter is settled.

The more Germans, the better.  :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom