The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agovic said:
Lolz, if it was the real grenade...And a bullet hit it.... What do you think would happen :O ? XD

Agovich said something that makes sense...GOOD JOB SIR! GOOD JOB!  :grin:

Okay, serious; grenadiers wore little grenade signs on their hat and on the back of their uniform. Same as voltiguers, who had little horns, and Fusileers who had hearts or N's

Will there be any military police(manhunters in native) I don't know what they are called.

Will they "arrest" deserters etc

TWking said:
Will there be any military police(manhunters in native) I don't know what they are called.

Will they "arrest" deserters etc

The British version were (and I believe still are) called the Provost, which is headed by the Provost Marshal. Not sure what the military police were called in the other nations though. This doesn't reflect what Docm30 will call his MP's though if he has them.

Name: Frans Eberhardt
Nationality:Austrian
Appearance: A large unkept beard and many a scar from various brawls and fights, wearing a torn and tatter old austrian grenadier uniform. (Without the bearskin hat)
Description: Born to rich a farmer, he had a relativly good childhood. However, he was one troublesome child. Both stealing from bypassing traders and beating up his friends, leading to arguments with his father who in anger threw him out from the household at the age of fourteen. He then joined the army, fooling the recruiter making him believe that he was of age to join the army. He showed to be an extremely effective soldier, both at shooting and slaughtering by the bayonnet. But, the noisy kid he was he constantly got in trouble with his superiours and fellow rankers. A fact that grounded him a ranker and one day the captain had enough of his drinking and stealing, who had him lashed and then kicked him out of the army. The uncaring Frans has since travelled between different taverns getting into brawls and betting about whoever general is to win the next skirmish, he is now approaching the age of fourty

Castellan Fortescue said:
The Gendarmerie were indeed a military force, but they were primarily charged with policing civilians, although it's possible they may have served as actual military police as well at one point.
They were also the guys who fought banditry and deserter parties in the rural areas, and arrested... what's the word... conscripts who didn't show up at the army... or something...

Also, they fought some real battles against Guerillas in Spain. Brave fellows.

My God, what do you have against Austrians?

Oh wait, you're just envious that they first beated Boney in battle (Aspern/Essling 1809), and not your feeble Montenegrins!

BTW:
Draft dodgers. That was the word I was looking for.

OH GOD HE SAID THE M WORD, HIT THE FLOOR!

On a more related note:

I really do hope there will be Gendarmes in this mod, but I'm wondering [if they're included at all] if they'll just be generic cavalry like in Warband Native, or if they'll actually have some rather legitimate gear...

Ungratified Platypus said:
Name: Richard Sharpe
Nationality: English
Appearance: Tall and agile but also strong, medium length blonde hair, middle-aged and hard/tough from years of army life and combat. (usually kind but with a short temper)
Description: Richard Sharpe was born in the back streets of London to a prostitute and grew up in the hard factories of the city. Due to his short temper he ran into trouble and killed a man without knowing what he was doing in his rage. He was brought to justice and had the option to either join the army or spend the rest of his life in prison, or worse.. He was young and in his pride and chose to join the army, and after some military training of drills, shooting and being beaten bloody by segeants, he went on his first campaign. It was a muddled affair, as the battlefield at Flanders was wreathed in smoke form the black powder and 'twas foggy. Him and the rest of his light company shot into the fog, not seeing any enemies, and before long sailed onto their new campaign; to far-away India. The heat and disease took soldiers lives in the dozens each week, and the British force under Wellington was constantly outnumbered, but Richard soon realised he had the nack of combat by musket and bayonet. He even saved Wellington's life and earned the ever so hard promotion from sergeant to ensign. However, he soon realised this was not as good as it seemed. The officers treated him like a peasant and the rankers rejected as a 'jumped-up sergeant' commmanding them. So when he got an invite to join the 95 rifles and become Lieutenant Sharpe he took it, and left the cold rejection of being ensign in the 74th highlanders. He met a women on the boat home and even took part in the battle of Trafalgar, before returning home. However, during childbirth his (newly married) women and child both died, and he hit a (very very) low point in his life. He drifted from tavern to tavern, wasting away his little savings on drink and women...
-You find him in this depressed state, and will join you for not much money (enough for another pint  :wink:)
-I know its quite a long dsecription and could use some condensing
-Not sure if the competition is over or if someone has already done Sharpe, but... I felt like doin it anyway  :grin:

Docm30 said:
Come up with a Companion competition!

Figure I may as well go ahead with this idea of a competition (which was apparently Helfy's idea) to see who can create the best original recruitable companion.

The Rules: which I arbitrarily made up.
    • The companion must be a fictional character of YOUR invention. No real or fictional ones that you didn't come up with
    • The character's existence should make sense in the world of 1809 europe I.E. no astronauts or anything that doesn't make sense in 1809
    • Funny characters are more than welcome so long as they are actually funny
    • No English rifleman. Seriously
    • One (1) Entry per person.

Beyond that, knock yourself out.

I suppose entries will be judged on originality, cleverness and all those other things looked for in creative writing.

• Just to point out to people who think they're smart, while they actually ain't, he broke 3 rules in there, and hopes to be BETA tester, when he gets denied he'll post "GTFO fu*k u docm blablabla"
[/list]

Name: Ingrid Schmollinger
Nationality: Austrian
Appearance: Tight lipped and stern figure. Grey-haired and long faced, with small round glasses.
Attributes: Very intelligent. High Surgery and decent other medical stats. Decent Riding and Ironflesh but limited in other combat skills.
Background: An experimental biologist, conducting all sorts of sick research on animals and accused of carrying out tests on humans. Currently awaiting trial in Vienna, she wishes to leave the city and evade the law, serving as a healer in the character's party. She wouldn't ask for money. Only that you don't interfere with or ask questions about her research and requests that she have access to prisoners held in the party. No family or children but she recalls holidays as a child in the south of France and how she would leave her family at the beaches to read in shade or practice her French with the locals. She would likely have a low tolerance of other women, particularly young and attractive girls (Schlampen), preferring the company of men that others might see as an arrogant or pompous bastard (think Rolf, in Warband). She would admire the power of such a man and his intolerance for those who don't pay him due respect.

captain lust said:
Name: Ingrid Schmollinger
Nationality: Austrian
Appearance: Tight lipped and stern figure. Grey-haired and long faced, with small round glasses.
Attributes: Very intelligent. High Surgery and decent other medical stats. Decent Riding and Ironflesh but limited in other combat skills.
Background: An experimental biologist, conducting all sorts of sick research on animals and accused of carrying out tests on humans. Currently awaiting trial in Vienna, she wishes to leave the city and evade the law, serving as a healer in the character's party. She wouldn't ask for money. Only that you don't interfere with or ask questions about her research and requests that she have access to prisoners held in the party. No family or children but she recalls holidays as a child in the south of France and how she would leave her family at the beaches to read in shade or practice her French with the locals. She would likely have a low tolerance of other women, particularly young and attractive girls (Schlampen), preferring the company of men that others might see as an arrogant or pompous bastard (think Rolf, in Warband). She would admire the power of such a man and his intolerance for those who don't pay him due respect.

Pretty sure Ingrid is a female name :wink:

Jacob123 said:
Name: Karl Ludwig Johann.
Nationality: Austrian.
Appearance: A respectable man in his early 50's, he has been unfortunate to go gray haired early, he has slicked back hair and a pointed beard, he is never seen without his monocle, sometimes he has a pipe or cigar. He also has a bandage around his knee no matter what he is wearing. He is very tall and well built with muscular arms and legs.
Description:  In 1796 he commanded the Austrian army on the Rhine, and defeated the French general Moreau at Rastadt. He also defeated Jourdain, drove the French across the Rhine, and took Kehl. In 1799 he again headed the army of the Rhine and again defeated Jourdain and held his own against Massena. In 1800 he was made governor of Bohemia, where he raised another army and stopped Moreau, till the conclusion of an armistice. In 1805 he commanded an army in Italy against Massena, was defeated at the battle of Caldiero, but made a good retreat into Croatia. In 1809 he won the battle of Aspern, but Napoleon checked him at Wagram, and pushed him back and back.

Because of this loss he was hated among the people of Austria and was forced to flee through Lichtenstein and Switzerland into eastern France where he became a farmer for a short while although he was always looking to join back up with an army as the military was always important to him, in fact his father used to be the most renowned general in all of Austria, when he was a young man his father gave him his most treasured pistol and he is never seen without it.  While he was a farmer the pistol got broken when some robbers tried to break into his house and as he did not have any ammunition he clubbed the man over the head with the barrel so when he finds a suitable person to serve he will ask for some money to get his most treasured possession repaired.

In the years before Karl was picked up by a suitable commander (The player) his life took a bit of a downwards spiral. Firstly his wife who he escaped with died of smallpox before she had bore him a son, he however did have a daughter aged 16 who he loves very much and is very protective over. He was now in his early 50's and is a bit old to get remarried, however his age does not hinder his fighting abilities and he is a great commander and trainer of men. The next downturn in his series of unfortunate events was getting his leg injured whilst working, hence the bandage around his knee. The final and most unfortunate mishap in his life happened one year before he was picked up by you the player was the loss of his house, this left him wandering the streets with his daughter, who later separated from him when she found a homeless boy she fell in love with.

So that is the story of an honorable commander, turned exile and farmer who became a beggar and looks for fame in a new army.

* Just as a side note, the bandage around the knee after the leg injury is not an arrow to the knee style joke and Docm you do not have to add it in

I dunno if this is a breach of the rules but I did base mine on real battles from the time

Well, here's my entry; Based on one of my old chars in another Napoleonic mod.

Name: August Linkmann
Nationality: Bavarian (of course)
Appearance: Small beardless guy, short dark hair, looks a bit like Marnid... (Look at my avatar. :smile: )  Dressed in a Bavarian Fuselier officer uniform, with a simple private's Raupenhelm (I don't like the big crests on the Officer ones) on his head; Hanging on his side is the smallest and fanciest Rapier you can find.
Face-code, generated with Vanilla M&B:
Code:
0x000000017f00400537237157638936cd00000000001da8d30000000000000000
Description: This guy was orphaned at an early age, as a fire destroyed his elderly house in Munich. After being raised a soldier in one of Munich's charitable housings, he entered the Bavarian army as Vize-Feldwebel. For distinguished service during Bavaria's short participation in the Revolutionary wars he was promoted to Leutnant, and after the campaign of 1805 he was Hauptmann in the (now Royal) Bavarian army. Despite having a good reputation as a battlefield commander and being respected by his soldiers, Linkmann never had much luck with either his fellow officers or the ladies, and his temper got him into trouble as he killed some officers in duel. His last victim had been a Major, and Linkmann was dishonorably discharged from the army for killing a superior officer. As he knows no other means of life other than being a soldier, he now travels around in search for any commander who can temporarily employ him in his service, untill his reputation is restored and he is able to return to service for his fatherland.
He has a rather old-fashioned chivalrious character, and would find himself duelling with anyone endangering his, his country’s or regiment’s, or a lady’s honor before he knows. Also, he would hate to do anything that could harm Bavaria or his honor, and reputation, or his immortal soul, although he has no objection to looting and pillaging, as long as it is outside Bavaria. He also is a staunch Roman Catholic, and dislikes anyone violating his beliefs.
As a former officer of the Bavarian foot, he wields the slim blade of his Rapier, and refuses to use anything besides it even in melee against the heaviest troops. He once managed to fight off a group of Russian Grenadiers with some of his men, killing some Russians with his Rapier. He can wield and shoot a Musket, as he was trained to before becoming a Feldwebel, but he always prefers his Rapier. He can’t ride a horse (so 0 points in Riding skill please).

EDIT: Added a facecode, generated with M&B Vanilla:
Code:
0x000000017f00400537237157638936cd00000000001da8d30000000000000000

Name:razz:atrick McGowan
Nationality:Irish
Appearence:Just look at my avatar(Charles Dance,yes,I picked him for Patrick),and imagine it with a french uniform.Wields a Cavalry Sabre,Pistol with Cartridges and a Courser.
Description:razz:atrick is a veteran mercenary.His last war was the American Revolutionary War,he fought in Walsh Regiment(an Irish regiment of the French army)as the captain of a cavalry squadron.After the war he remained in America,until his nostalgy for war made him return to Europe to fight the last war of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom