The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no British military expert, so do not hold this against me.

If you google some Highlander images, all captains have the second pictured sword. Perhaps the other sword was used by NCO's or Junior officers, if the Military has them. My book about the revolutionary war (How dare I compae it, but Highlanders were in this war) All Field officers have them (Second picture) They are called claymores.

Bravo2255 said:
I am no British military expert, so do not hold this against me.

If you google some Highlander images, all captains have the second pictured sword. Perhaps the other sword was used by NCO's or Junior officers, if the Military has them. My book about the revolutionary war (How dare I compae it, but Highlanders were in this war) All Field officers have them (Second picture) They are called claymores.

Ah ok, like I said I am an enthusiast not an expert :razz: So i'm going to make mistakes :razz:

I think I found it, the 42nd foot, Grenadiers, Have a sword such as the first one, so possibly, Grenadiers used that one, and Line infantry and such used the more "famous" (If you will) one.

OrangeKnight said:
Well hopefully to be getting on the usefull information for you on that helm. First of all Its awesome! Second the shape and scale seems slightly off. From most pictures I have seen its not as tall and its angled back. You  can see that in this refrence
5117820_2_l.jpg
Also I feel like you need more damage in the gold/brass, they are softer metals and will take some damage. Maybe add some more damage on edges and just give some more specular scratches. I really had to look for things to nitpick because its awesome!
That's not the Bavarian Raupenhelm in your picture. It looks like a Wuerttemberger or a Badener helmet.

So it's just a different helmet.

As I've heard somewhere on some sources, pickelhaube dates back to the late 17th century... Yet it was ...abandoned, how to say, until 1860s, when almost all European nations ( excluding everything that's west of Austria, Italy and present-day Germany territories ) started to use it... I doubt it was used during the Napoleonic Wars, and even more, during the 1809 campagain(s)

There's no doubt.

Captured Joe said:
OrangeKnight said:
Well hopefully to be getting on the usefull information for you on that helm. First of all Its awesome! Second the shape and scale seems slightly off. From most pictures I have seen its not as tall and its angled back. You  can see that in this refrence
5117820_2_l.jpg
Also I feel like you need more damage in the gold/brass, they are softer metals and will take some damage. Maybe add some more damage on edges and just give some more specular scratches. I really had to look for things to nitpick because its awesome!
That's not the Bavarian Raupenhelm in your picture. It looks like a Wuerttemberger or a Badener helmet.

So it's just a different helmet.
Also, I looked around a bit, and it appears I'm wrong. It's indeed a Bavarian helmet, but from 1866 and not 1809. So, it's still about half a century too late.

For the record, what OrangeKnight posted is a Bavarian Raupenhelm, just (as mentioned) of the wrong period. Raupenhelm just means Caterpillar Helmet, in reference the caterpillar-like crest. This is a (somewhat shrivelled and fallen apart) Napoleonic pattern.

Jaboc, neither of those are correct for the period. I will however include the similar 1798-pattern Glasgow hilted claymore/boardsword.

Sorry for the crappy image, I'm not a Napoleonic expert in fact I dont know much about it. But I do hope to learn more because it is  very interesting. But I think I would be cool to add a little red plume like in this image.
bavarian_artillery.jpg

zois said:
you had some time to hear from me but i was stuck with NW. anyway i have a small question will the grenadiers throw grenades?

As far as I know grenades of that type were obsolete by now.

There is a difference of Grenade on a hat, and a Grenade that blows up. I never understood it. Or is that the actual grenade on their helmet, and they just take it of, and do what is needed?

Bravo2255 said:
There is a difference of Grenade on a hat, and a Grenade that blows up. I never understood it. Or is that the actual grenade on their helmet, and they just take it of, and do what is needed?

There is somthing on their hat that is called a "grenade"?  :eek:

Lolz, if it was the real grenade...And a bullet hit it.... What do you think would happen :O ? XD

Agovic said:
Lolz, if it was the real grenade...And a bullet hit it.... What do you think would happen :O ? XD
      That's some Sniper Elite V2 stuff there.                "Boom Grenade Shot!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom