The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually possible to form a Calvary square(or something like it) with just some commands. I've tried it out on NW and it's pretty effective. Better than having a Calvary squadron hack a line to pieces. I'm not sure if its possible to make your own custom command and script it to tell your solders the steps to creating a "square".

that's what I mean, forming 5 rows and tight ranks in NW is the closest thing to Square we've got. I'd like to see Intelligent unit Orentainted AI that can Form a Square and Hold it, Facing the correct directions. not just auto targeting the nearest NPC. And again this would go along with the units firing at specific units. Being able to select a unit for direct fire seem to me to be something that should be top priority to capture a realistic Napoleonic warfare game. I mean having Your WHOLE Army turn to face 1 cav scout behind them, while completely ignoring the huge army in front of them.... this is extremely annoying and prevents any form of realistic tactics or formations.

RoboSenshi said:
It's actually possible to form a Calvary square(or something like it) with just some commands. I've tried it out on NW and it's pretty effective. Better than having a Calvary squadron hack a line to pieces. I'm not sure if its possible to make your own custom command and script it to tell your solders the steps to creating a "square".

Calvary is a place in Jerusalem...

Line_Infantry said:
that's what I mean, forming 5 rows and tight ranks in NW is the closest thing to Square we've got. I'd like to see Intelligent unit Orentainted AI that can Form a Square and Hold it, Facing the correct directions. not just auto targeting the nearest NPC. And again this would go along with the units firing at specific units. Being able to select a unit for direct fire seem to me to be something that should be top priority to capture a realistic Napoleonic warfare game. I mean having Your WHOLE Army turn to face 1 cav scout behind them, while completely ignoring the huge army in front of them.... this is extremely annoying and prevents any form of realistic tactics or formations.
I get what u mean.

ART0PR said:
RoboSenshi said:

Whoops. *Cavalry

ART0PR said:
RoboSenshi said:

Funny story, I pointed out in an assembly with about 360 people in it that they spelt Calvary wrong when I thought it was meant to be about cavalry.

More on topic, have we seen much of cavalry, because they are half the name and I don't remember much of them. But then my short term memory is awful.

Rallix said:
I can't wait to listen to this song's chorus while charging with my Russian Cavalrymen.

I'm just going to say I took off my headphones, put it on my desk, walked into the kitchen and did the dishes while I could hear it playing easily.

Rallix said:
I can't wait to listen to this song's chorus while charging with my Russian Cavalrymen.

SOVIET STRONK!

but on a more related topic, didn't docm say that he was only using music made during the time period of the mod?

Doesn't stop someone from muting the Warband music volume and playing their own through their own media players, or even replacing the sound files with something more suitable to them.

Line_Infantry said:
I'd like to see Intelligent unit Orentainted AI that can Form a Square and Hold it, Facing the correct directions. not just auto targeting the nearest NPC. And again this would go along with the units firing at specific units. Being able to select a unit for direct fire seem to me to be something that should be top priority to capture a realistic Napoleonic warfare game. I mean having Your WHOLE Army turn to face 1 cav scout behind them, while completely ignoring the huge army in front of them.... this is extremely annoying and prevents any form of realistic tactics or formations.

I think we'd all like to see that, but that's a very tall order for an old engine that doesn't give modders access to the AI. We can override parts of the AI, but it's expensive and very complicated, and frankly I don't understand how the battle AI scripts work and I haven't got time to learn.

Even for an experienced coder I don't think it'd be possible to tell your men what to shoot. I think you could make it so you can tell them where to face, but I think you'd have to run the script every frame to override the AI's desire to turn, which would be extremely system intensive.

I've given up on a proper square for now. I can't make that happen.

There is routing and AI artillery, though.

Hazzardevil said:
More on topic, have we seen much of cavalry, because they are half the name and I don't remember much of them. But then my short term memory is awful.

I've probably shown more cavalry than infantry.

Will Clausewitz appear in the mod in some form or another? Does anyone know what he was up to during the timeframe of this mod?

I could have just checked the book about Clausewitz that is sitting under a pile of books on my desk.  nahhhhh  :lol:

No, but he did write poetry! Heres one for example:

Take heed of this small child of earth;
        He is great; he hath in him God most high.
        Children before their fleshly birth
        Are lights alive in the blue sky.

In our light bitter world of wrong
        They come; God gives us them awhile.
        His speech is in their stammering tongue,
        And his forgiveness in their smile.

Their sweet light rests upon our eyes.
        Alas! their right to joy is plain.
        If they are hungry Paradise
        Weeps, and, if cold, Heaven thrills with pain.

The want that saps their sinless flower
        Speaks judgment on sin's ministers.
        Man holds an angel in his power.
        Ah! deep in Heaven what thunder stirs,

When God seeks out these tender things
        Whom in the shadow where we sleep
        He sends us clothed about with wings,
        And finds them ragged babes that weep!

Now you've got no choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back