The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mod should sort this out, anyone who shall promote, force their own views of historic events (that took place outside the time frame of the thread's topic) upon others shall be warned and if continued simply banned.

Anywho... As i understand MP shall be added? But lads from my regiment find it very and I mean very difficult to read past the first page on which it states that L'Aigle is a SP mod. My commander and fellow officers agreed and I quote them ''F''k NW we're moving to L'Agile''

And Landgraft no need to be a... you know what.

That's why the thread has a [ B ] in its title. This is meant to tell you at a glance that the mod is for both single- and multi-player. If it's exclusively one or the other, the mod would have a [ S ] or [ M ].

WodzuUK said:
A mod should sort this out, anyone who shall promote, force their own views of historic events (that took place outside the time frame of the thread's topic) upon others shall be warned and if continued simply banned.
Stop reacting to the idiot, and report his posts for flame baiting, I already did that to his first post, and I trust that Goker can keep the Turks in their own little forum until they either learn English or get over themselves.

Also, the first page might not be up to date, that's why it might say it's singleplayer.

Tell me Doc, I presume that the AI doesnt know how to use dragoons "properly", right? As in, using them as mobile infantry? Just wondering, it might look a bit silly if they acted like the Khergits do in Native.

WodzuUK said:
And Landgraft no need to be a... you know what.

I will love and tolerate the heck out of your objection.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Tell me Doc, I presume that the AI doesnt know how to use dragoons "properly", right? As in, using them as mobile infantry? Just wondering, it might look a bit silly if they acted like the Khergits do in Native.

Dragoons in the Napoleonic era were just 'line' cavalry. The concept of mounted infantry happened in earlier wars and later wars, but doesn't really occur in this period.

Comrade Temuzu said:

That's not exactly an easy question, seeing as the motivations and justifications of military planning are a nebulous business at the best of time, even for those in charge.

From what I understand it was related to the overwhelming emphasis on combined arms (meaning that you'd always have infantry and cavalry present at the same spot, diluting the number of instances where its useful to dismount and fight and foot) as well as the fact that over the course of the eighteenth century and Napoleonic wars, the effectiveness of shock-based cavalry blew 'mounted gunners' away. The strength of cavalry was in delivering an overwhelming charge and if you desperately needed mobile firepower, that's what the horse artillery was for.

That was certainly true in some armies, like the British or Austrian, where Dragoons were issued short carbines and barely trained to act as infantry. French dragoons, on the otherhand, often did act as mobile infantry, or just infantry in many cases. They were, after all, issued full-length muskets and shoes and gaiters for when they expected not to be mounted for a while. If Napoleon had intended for them to be strictly cavalry he'd probably have issued them carbines.

It was in Spain, where the ground is often very difficult for horses and where fighting in cities and villages was very common, and in Russia where they lost most of their horse that France's dragoons really excelled. Certainly more so than the other cavalrymen forced to fight on foot.

I believe Russian dragoons were also issued full-length or very long muskets, but I don't know to what extent they used them. I do know Suvorov used his Cossacks as infantrymen in Italy, though.

That said, no the AI doesn't use them as infantry, but it's unfair to expect that they would. They don't even do that in N:TW, a game made by professionals about the era for several years and millions of dollars..

Docm30 said:
That said, no the AI doesn't use them as infantry, but it's unfair to expect that they would. They don't even do that in N:TW, a game made by professionals about the era for several years and millions of dollars..

There is of course an option for the player to do so, but then you can do that in M&B anyway.

I think my question about horses and bayonets (topical) might have got lost in the previous discussion though. In short, how's it being balanced?

Docm, what is your melee based off of? Native or NW? Is the bayonet like MM where you press X to switch to it and it would switch to the awlpike. Also, will you include joint faction battles for MP? For example Sweden and Switzerland vs France and Ottoman empire.

If you're still curious, Russian dragoons (and even hussars) fought on foot variously at Mohrungen, Rushchuk, Saltanovka, Shevardino, Brienne.... at Kulm, even the Chavalier-Guard cuirassiers fought for a spell dismounted!  :shock:

Ililsa said:
I think my question about horses and bayonets (topical) might have got lost in the previous discussion though. In short, how's it being balanced?
I can't really talk about balance before we've started doing testing. In singleplayer, at least, an infantryman is pretty well dead if he fails to shoot the cavalryman bearing down on him, especially is that cavalryman a player who knows what he's doing. The best way to repel cavalry in singleplayer is a tight formation that stops cavalry; I'd want it to be the same in multiplayer.

wouter227 said:
Docm, what is your melee based off of? Native or NW? Is the bayonet like MM where you press X to switch to it and it would switch to the awlpike. Also, will you include joint faction battles for MP? For example Sweden and Switzerland vs France and Ottoman empire.
Nothing in the mod will be based off NW. It's not a mod for NW. Of course you press 'x' (or whatever key you bind it to) to change to melee mode. How else would we do it?

The melee muskets have 3 or 4 attacks: a stab (only if the weapon has a blade) and three different directions to swing the butt.

Peppers said:
Now, due to the high detail in everything, Will think make the servers as laggy as NW?  :neutral:
Graphical detail has nothing to do with latency. That's all done client side; the server only needs to collect and relay things like positions and what not.

Bluehawk said:
If you're still curious, Russian dragoons (and even hussars) fought on foot variously at Mohrungen, Rushchuk, Saltanovka, Shevardino, Brienne.... at Kulm, even the Chavalier-Guard cuirassiers fought for a spell dismounted!  :shock:
I did suspect Russian dragoons were used à pied occasionally. Though, I figure if you look hard enough you can find an instance of any type of cavalry fighting dismounted. I know French cuirassiers did it during the retreat from Russia. It was all they could do with most of their horses having died and them having discarded their cuirasses.

Is it possible to be part of a regiment, like officially be an officer of the life-guard cossaks, or are you simply an officer, and allowed to choose your troops at will?

I see an archived post where you talk about just making the Austrian German regiments have red facings, but would it be possible to offer different facings colours as well? Even if not on the actual troops then on clothing that the player can equip (so I can pretend that I am Oberst of IR 4 and someone has sent me the WRONG REGIMENT).

I had considered giving them red facings so it could represent more regiments, but ultimately I decided red was too dissonant a colour and black fits perfectly with the white/black/bronze colour scheme. I chose blue for the Hungarians because it matches the trousers. I could include other regiments, but that's a few megs of disc space and RAM that could be used for something more important.

You'll have to be satisfied with old IR 14 (a regiment I settled on years ago, back when the mod was something else). Though, it would take someone with basic image-editting software about a minute to change the facing colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom