The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Docm30 said:
I'll consider including cricket if I ever add a country that's good at the sport.
Oh, damn, Docm, that burns bad.

First time I contribute to this thread: Your modelling and texturing is absolutely outstanding. This is amazing. I'd give anything to be as skilled a modeller as you. A million good lucks for L'Aigle!

Epicrules said:
Perhaps a prosperity check on the villages and towns and if they're below a certain pre-set per-nation threshold, a large rebel army spawns near the faction in question?

That would be great for periods of peace, that's how I train up my troops in NTW; staging rebellions...

I remember, a REALLY REALLY long time ago reading about some 1570s revolver used by the Spanish consquisadors ( or whatever's that name ) agaist the aztecs... A bad side was that it's part that held bullets had to be carefully turned, as it did not have an automatic turning device like Colt's Revolver. It made it extremely dangerous because the bullet ussually would not fit into the barrel and would explode in the operator's hand.... I'll try to get a picture, I think I still got that newspaper somewhere.

artillery was done in 2 convincing ways for Mount and Blade.
1 - Highlander's Machinery Mod (opensource) which featured parabolic artillery with area damage.
2 - direct-fire artillery "shotgun script" that we incorporated in the unreleased Peninsular War mod.

To be honest, any mod set later than 1700 needs to have an artillery option, otherwise it's a re-skin.
Artillery totally changes battles, and in particular sieges.  Even if your artillery option is only 'off-field'
{that is, you buy artillery, but they only help you with battle advantage and in sieges, never actually appearing on the battlefield}
it still changes the game somewhat.

As for the ratio of men to guns:  A single foot batallion was rarely less than 500 men, yet for game purposes we will certainly see parties made up of five or six different units (regiments) and yet probably under 1000 strong.
Historically, most major armies had batallion artillery until the early years of the 19th century, small 4-pounders for example.
Equally, a unit on detatched duty, especially cavalry, could have a single gun and crew attached to it.

It therefore becomes truly realistic for gameplay that larger parties will include at least one gun. 

For gameplay purposes, artillery will also counter the AI lack of self-preservation.  If you make artillery a BLUNT damage weapon, or a set-health-to-zero script, then it will disable large numbers of enemy temporarily, just as if they had fled the field in true conscript fashion. 

This might be my imagination, but I recall we were discussing something like having artillery pieces in the player inventory, with them you could break walls during sieges for example.

But agreed, artillery should be present in one form or another.

Just my two cents for what its worth, but if cannons were to be included then it would make sense to include several types, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
I doubt that a small 4-pounder battalion gun would be much use in a siege. Likewise, a heavy siege gun would probably be too cumbersome to be used in a open field battle.

Another factor that should be considered is the effects they would have on party movement speed. A party that has to tow around several large calibre pieces would travel much slower than one that possesed little or no artillery.

Personally im not really bothered about artillery being included in the mod, though it would be rather nice if they were.

The plan has always been to to include artillery for at least sieges (as in if you have some you get a different scene that's more to your advantage, or the siege is quicker or something) and possibly shaving off some enemy troops before the battle.

For me to include actual, functioning artillery, it would have to meet three criteria: firstly, it needs to be completely AI-controlled, ideally with the option for the player to take over. It would need to be destroyable, and the AI would need to attempt to destroy yours. Finally, and least importantly, it would need to be mobile, otherwise the battles would just turn into camping trips.

The main things is that I don't know enough about coding to be able to pull something workable off from scratch. Highlander's artillery isn't exactly what I need and I don't even know if it works in Warband.

I'd love to include artillery, but I just don't see a way to do it well enough to bother.

Another thing is that people shouldn't think of the battles in the mod as being Wagrams or Waterloos, but rather Aderklaas and La Haie Saintes.

Perhaps code a way to, if you have artillery in your inventory, call in artillery barrages from off-map, maybe using the same principle as holding down F1 to move your troops?

Docm30 said:
Another thing is that people shouldn't think of the battles in the mod as being Wagrams or Waterloos, but rather Aderklaas and La Haie Saintes.

This is the only bad thing with the Warband engine :/ Small maps & low troops count for a real battle..... Yet you could insert easy recruitment and mobilization, and that all generals have like 500 or so troops at lowest, while some bigger ones like Napoleon, Murat, Ney, Wellington, Archduke Charles, Blucher, Bagration, Buxhowden, Benningsen etc. have bigger armies. :smile:

Make troops cheap and easy to recruit at villages/towns :smile:

That Carribean expansion for Warband with the Pirates is claiming to have fully functioning AI controlled artillery when it drops, worth looking into it and seeing how they are going to pull that off.

Omega_007 said:
That would be great for periods of peace, that's how I train up my troops in NTW; staging rebellions...

You're a monster!

Every sort of scenario with rebelling citizens would just turn into a Peterloo Massacre, though, there's no real way to do what the 15th did and beat back the rioters with the flat of your sword, you can only really take the role of the drunken Manchester Yeoman Cavalry and rush in swinging a 1796 pattern at civilians.

Forgive my Prussian nature...

As Queen of Prussia, my dragoons will be having the time of their lives; especially if these rebels, as part of their platform, demand cricket as the national sport.

Docm, if you could compare or if you know what the melee is like (now that I know this is going to be MP, and I don't really care about melee in SP) could you let us know?

Docm30 will we see specific and historic regiments or are you going for generic uniform and equipment for Each faction when it comes to line infantry, cavalry regiments etc?

WodzuUK said:
Docm30 will we see specific and historic regiments or are you going for generic uniform and equipment for Each faction when it comes to line infantry, cavalry regiments etc?

Docm30 said:
N3XuS, I don't really see much of a point in making units that don't differ from the generic units in anything but history. The closest I'll get to that is units like the 95th rifles or the vistula legion---regiments that were actually unique and not just another fusilier regiment or the like with an impressive history.

Just call me Docms overly influencible auto-search machine that runs on cheese flavoured biscuits and Oettinger bier.

EDIT: Just because this amuses me

I was on wiki just this evening helping a friend with a British orbat when I discovered this section about the 2nd Infantry Division

"In 1813 and 1814, the division remained part of Hill's detachment. It contained three British brigades and one Portuguese brigade. It took part in the Battle of Vitoria on the right flank of Wellington's army. It subsequently was briefly driven from a position at the Battle of Maya after Stewart retired the division prematurely to camp"

Only a British unit would hold it's ground until after they were already back at camp  :lol:

Will there be any Greek Troops in this mod?  I know that Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire until 1821.  But I am hoping for some Greek troops.  It be nice to hire Greek troops in the mod to rebel against the Ottoman Empire!!! :grin:  Re Establishing Greece as a free Nation! :grin:

EsoptrosOer said:
Will there be any Greek Troops in this mod?  I know that Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire until 1821.  But I am hoping for some Greek troops.  It be nice to hire Greek troops in the mod to rebel against the Ottoman Empire!!! :grin:  Re Establishing Greece as a free Nation! :grin:
I think , He cannot add "help the greeks" option to Russian,French and Britain factions for re establishing greece as a free nation and I think he cannot add the massacre of Hydra island,Tripolitsa,Navarino etc.

I wasn't saying that but rather having greek style/named/dressed troops in the Ottoman Empire and possibly having the isle of greece?

That way I'd be able to hire greek soldiers and rebel against the ottoman empire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom