The Official Art thread

Users who are viewing this thread

There is some sort of explanation behind what’s going on here, right?

How do you even come up with these ideas ?

This was mostly me doodling stuff at random and trying to fit it together, but the main motivator was that I really like the idea of contrasting terrifying iconography with cutesy friendly stuff. A few years back I mostly tried to keep my art coherent, but at some point in late 2019 when my life really sucked and I was barely functional, I discovered that it was way more satisfying and therapeutic to just draw whatever I thought looked nice in the immediate moment, regardless of how much sense it made. You can probably see that tipping point somewhere down this page (newest ones at the top):

Tried some grass practice in 10-15 mins.

Aio4p.png

Try not to use preset leaf brushes or any brush that automatically creates the texture for you. You aren't actually learning how to draw foliage by doing it this way.

Obviously textured brushes can be useful but when you're learning how to render something, do it manually instead of automatically. Do not solely rely on whatever fancy brush leaf generator you're using to create the picture for you. Drawing is hard and you need to do it yourself if you want to get better. Personally I think your quick 10-15 minute study is pointless and poor practice.

zW2FW.png

This isn't good or anything but I used a basic paint brush to block out a shape then did another sketch to show what type of detail could be added.

yaRS9.png

Do the same and build on it manually by doing every single brush stroke and leaf yourself. Do not use a textured leaf brush.

Over-reliance on preset brushes is the Bob Ross school of painting. There's a reason why "anyone can paint" in his school because he skips actually learning how to paint it and just teaches a quick and lazy aproximation (taking literally seconds) that anyone can do.

Example of Bob Ross trash:

lpSuX.jpg

Notice how he isn't actually painting the foliage properly, it's just a single dab of the brush end for entire groups of leaves.

Imagine teaching a novice painter how to do that. You'd be teaching them the lazy skip before they even know how to do it properly!

Last edited:
@Densetsu First of all, thank you for your feedback which is pretty valuable for me. I did try to draw every single leaf, but it took too much time for my poor quality drawing :ohdear: I think i should try it with more referances next time. But still, it does look better than its previous version:

Me4-S.png

There're many non-textured brushes, and i want to make favorite set with some specific brushes & colors for further tries. But, currently i just draw&chill in short time. I'm lazy, and grateful for Bob Rose at his simplicity drawings..

vF7hn.jpg

..but i want a high-tier laziness level at drawing as in drawing below. That's one drawing stlye that i want from two styles.(2nd: Caricaturistic. Both fun & can be instractive). Even i'm so poor at it and lazzy, i need to make it better, so learn it myself. Correct. :facepalm:

idyCN.jpg

This is a bonus:

aVnps.png

I did try to draw every single leaf, but it took too much time for my poor quality drawing

That's the point. It's a poor quality drawing because you didn't spend any time on it. If you want to something to look good then you have to spend time on it either indirectly or directly. You have to invest time into learning how to paint it properly. Do real studies on the objects you want to paint. Put some plants on your desk and spend time creating studies of their form and how light interacts with them. Once you really invest time (hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours) into practicing/understanding those concepts, then you can use those skills to create the loose and "lazy" style you mentioned. You need to know the rules before you can break them (or at least you can start exploring and bending them as you learn).

There are always exceptions to this, but as someone who is a beginner in digital art I'd highly encourage you to paint things properly first and then attempt the looser styles later. In art school we were forced to create 2-3 hour studies of life every single day. Wether you wanted to or not, you had to paint every leaf.

It sounds like you just want to automatically be good at drawing while still being lazy.

Last edited:
Densetsu is a putrid, festering boil of a liar; a talentless hack who hasn't touched a pen in his life. Under no (or very few) circumstances do you have to draw every single leaf. When you look at a tree (or any object) you see areas of light and colour, not each individual element. You can "suggest" the presence of leaves by playing with hard and soft edges and different colours. Look at paintings of complex materials like hair and water and you'll see the same thing.

digital_tricycle.jpg

This is a painting I did a few years back, before I did proper studies or anything. The trees were more or less just spiky blobs with some basic shading. Obviously there's a bit more to it than that, but the most difficult part (as with all natural objects) was just trying to imitate the specific randomness of that kind of tree using the brush strokes. But once you get into that rhythm it's fairly easy to replicate.

Densetsu may be the dumbest human being on the face of the earth, but his advice and my advice probably apply to different kinds of people who might learn in different ways. Although I will say that for natural fractal-like objects like trees, knowing how to draw the small things like leaves won't help you with the object as a whole. Most people can draw a brick but they can't reliably draw a building, for example.

I didn’t mean you always have to draw every leaf in great detail no matter how far away it is in the picture, I meant that if you do draw a bush you should do it without using some dumb auto leaf brush.

But also it helps to actually know how to paint what leaves look like if you do need to. If you know what leaves look like, you can paint a distance approximation of them easier (understanding what types of colours you see in foliage etc and how the plants grow). Like, come the gash on. Jacobhinds is the greatest hack who ever lived.

Obviously if you only draw single bricks close up you’ll never focken know how to draw an entire wall well, but you need to learn BOTH bricks AND walls. It’s common sense. Why would someone attempt to draw foliage with an auto leaf brush if they want to learn how to draw foliage? That is terminally preposterous. LEARN HOW TO DRAW LEAVES AND LEARN HOW TO DRAW WHOLE BUSHES AND COMBINE THE GOD DAMN SKILLS YOU LEARN DONT JUST DRAW AUTO GENERATED LEAF BUSHES HOLY
GASH SMEARS. SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK IM ON MY PHONE AND TOO LAZY TO TAP THE SMALL CAPS LOCK BUTTON TO TURN IT OFF.

Last edited:
Densetsu, i will try to draw every single leafs myself, i agree your suggestions, but there wont be much leaf .) And, Kentucky James, if i could draw just like ur "few years old work" i would have fun really much. It's pretty clean. I bet you had fun a lot while drawing #9502.

I just changed some stuffs at WLOP's work. This is most fun thing i can do atm..

tODZG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom