The Official Art thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Merlkir said:
Funny enough, it's called a pen tablet. :wink:

They cost 229/349/469/789 USD depending on the size.

https://www.wacom.com/en/Store/Intuos.aspx

(I have the Large size, which is for 469)

Just bought an Aiptek pen tablet(Mediatablet 14000U). Dimensions 305x185mm, cost 100e. It's pretty damn good. People complain about it having an AAA battery inside it, and the pen being badly constructed and whatnot, but the truth is, if you're not a pro, you can just as well use a budget tablet like this. And the pen is completely fine. I myself, for example, can't say that I'm at a stage where I'd need features such as brush rotation according to the facing of the pen tip, or pen tilt effect, which Wacom tablets have. The problem is that people blame their tablet of their bad skills.

Working on ship figurehead gave me an excuse to do some sculpting:

You might want to rethink the chin. Shouldn't be that concave. And the ear, and where the chin starts shouldn't be that far back. If you look at the head from the side, the ear is basically in the middle of the front and the back. Otherwise looks good :grin:

Aipteks are ****. Had one, used it for years and completely destroyed it by using it very carefully. The pen shattered after about an hour of use, so I had to tape it together. The batteries make the pen heavy and are annoying as hell. You can't even compare the comfort of use.

Seriously, I'm all for ****ting on expensive brands, but Wacom is a tool, Aiptek is a tool of torture.

Hm... Haven't broken up yet in my use. Might be that they've made it better, or that I just own a sturdy one. No issue with the battery for me; it's located near the tip where I put my fingers, so there's no problem with balance. I had a Wacom Volito 2 before, but it got too little so I had to buy a new tablet. Aiptek has redeemed its place this far. But yea, with theese products, it's so much about personal preferences.

Sound Chaser said:
But yea, with theese products, it's so much about personal preferences.

I disagree :grin: I've seen the new Aipteks and it seems they're like a sister company to Trust, or the same one in fact. Anyway, they may be better than the one I used to have.

Anyway, if you don't have the money, but still want a bigger tablet, I guess it's fine. But once you go into something intuos4, you'll never go back. So many little things add up and you realize the competition is simply crap compared to Wacom. It's not favouritism, it's not brand wankery, it's fact.

But hey, of course, if you're ok with using it, if it's fun to draw, that's all good.

Yoshiboy said:
Working on ship figurehead gave me an excuse to do some sculpting:

figurehead1.png

Weird boner he's got there.

Wow, that's super pretty. Very atmosperic drawing.

You are really talented.

Love the style. Personally would've probably added darker texture to the cabin, because as it is the moon seems to shine a really bright light onto it, but maybe that's what you were going for. All in all really awesome. Also bricks were shat (j/k it was just regular poop, I don't eat mortar).

Ilex said:
Love the style. Personally would've probably added darker texture to the cabin, because as it is the moon seems to shine a really bright light onto it, but maybe that's what you were going for. All in all really awesome. Also bricks were shat (j/k it was just regular poop, I don't eat mortar).
Oh come on, it was just a sketch to pass time, surely it should have been darker plus the shadow from the roof would go much further, didnt want to make "ambar" too dark, though thanks for good comments I appreciate when people mention errors and such.

I finally got my tablet in!
behold my first sketch.. (first serious one, my first was actually a cat)
14uyq35.png

I'm still getting used to it, but I think im catching on pretty quickly.
EDIT: I think I got it down a little better -- here's my second, more of a speedpaint.
aobbd.png

Shalictar Hammerfall said:
I finally got my tablet in!
behold my first sketch.. (first serious one, my first was actually a cat)
14uyq35.png

I'm still getting used to it, but I think im catching on pretty quickly.
EDIT: I think I got it down a little better -- here's my second, more of a speedpaint.
aobbd.png
Those look awesome!! Very noy'ce.

Thanks you two, I appreciate it.
Also my third, once again, comparisons between Shalictar and his old conception.
First conception comparison:
Shalictar Hammerfall said:
Question guys, which concept of Shalictar do you like better? The old one on the right or the newer on the left?
New Comparison: shows Shalictar standing in The Crag. Both show Shalictar but the new one shows a much better drawn Crag sky/mountains.
Although, this old one was my very first digital painting so it's not a really fair comparison.
shalictar said:
My first digital painting
first_painting.png
New one
fm6vxy.png

Nice! Wish I had the patience to do detail :razz:

Anyway, also a new one from me: http://soundchaser1.deviantart.com/art/Wifebeater-263323948

Back
Top Bottom