The Obsession with Pikes

Users who are viewing this thread

Can anyone explain the above to me?
Because every time I go on the main invasion server, there is a group of fanatics who think that an entire group of pikemen is a good idea.
Can someone tell me why this is?

I see a lot more Musketeers die, many from cowardice. So much fun being a pikeman holding the line against all odds only retreating when your friends have been hacked down beside you knowing you did your bit. Bah, I hate all those swines who play Invasion for KD not you know actually holding out.

My record lies at 42 kills as pikeman (Invasion mod of course), in the same life, without even touching a cannon or ranged weapon (other than the pike, duh)

After that I got bored and left

So yes, that's why there's so much fuzz about them

Ahh. I remember now the one time I had the cannister loaded ammo. It was like 15 pikemen holding, and I said: If you move I will ****ing shoot. They hold they ground for like 3 rounds... Then you know the story.

Hm, it's been a while since I played invasion and even when I did I rarely spawned with a pike, but I do know it's pretty fun playing as a heavily armoured halberdier. :grin:

Pikes are incredible powerful. With a partner you can kill any infantryman and cavalry will not even go near you, if they are clever. If you also happen to be an mercenary, you will get some really nice armor that will help you survive many hits and shots.

Of course, Reiters would just ride away from them and fire all the time and enough engineers (1:1 ratio) could blow them to pieces with pure firepower, so in the end, you need a few musketeers or friendly cavalry.

Haresus said:
Of course, Reiters would just ride away from them and fire all the time and enough engineers (1:1 ratio) could blow them to pieces with pure firepower, so in the end, you need a few musketeers or friendly cavalry.
No army composed of just one unit can win against all enemies. It's like Rock-paper-scissors, one unit is good against other, but weak when opposed by something different. That's why the most successful armies fielded mixed types of units, like Alexander did.

To be honest, I wasn't aware how pikes are powerful until recently, while playing Invasion around 25 men against 100 and more bots. Guys with pikes made a real massacre killing 2/3 of bots at the gate which would be impossible with only muskets and swords.

NightHawkreal said:
Bots do not account length of arms and do not put a block.

Even the best player can't block two directions at once without a shield, though

And actually: yes they do. 1 on 1, they have blocked my stabs quite often, or would
have, if I hadn't adjusted

Back
Top Bottom