The new method of discovering weapon parts in smithing doesn't work well

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been away from the game for awhile and decided to give the new beta (1.1.0) a try. The primary way to learn new weapon parts is to smelt down captured weapons. It used to be that when you smelted down a weapon you had a chance to learn a random weapon part. Now, the part you learn can only be of the weapon type you are smelting. Okay, that sounds logical, but the problem is that there are many weapons that you don't capture very often. You get tons of one handed swords, one handed axes and spears, but you almost never get two handed axes and swords, which makes it very difficult to learn new parts for those weapons. I think they should go back to giving you a chance to learn parts for any weapon type, not just the one you are smelting.

Yeah, its definitely not an improvement over the old random method. It really sucks if you're trying to unlock a low value weapon class like throwing daggers. They're worth so little that it takes smelting hundreds and hundreds of them to unlock the whole category.

They should make it something like 75% of components from the same weapon class and 25% just random

I think it's a sensible improvement. The old RNG way was not very immersive. It's still easy to unlock 2H swords without buying anything but wood. Also, for the impatient, just buying a few javs will allow you to unlock all jav parts in a few minutes. Best bang for the buck.

I think it's a sensible improvement. The old RNG way was not very immersive. It's still easy to unlock 2H swords without buying anything but wood. Also, for the impatient, just buying a few javs will allow you to unlock all jav parts in a few minutes. Best bang for the buck.
Amount of unlocked parts depends on weapon price, so unlocking 2H sword is tedious but doable as you have expensive orders available early. 1H swords on the other hand, are quite cheap so you smelt and smelt and smelt and 1 in 4-5 swords give a part. And there are at lest 400 parts for both sword types.

I have to say I do not understand why you have to unlock so many parts. Blades are the most important while rest are mostly cosmetic, so buying for 16k sword worth 3-4k that when smelt produce 1-2 pommels...
It would be better if one "lot" wasn't a single part but rather either a single blade, 2 handles or 4 other parts.

Well, I decided to start a new game and not do any smithing. I just find it too tedious and not fun.
I've tried that. How easy it is to make money is what always draws me back in. Especially once you hit that point of filling the 85k orders....

I've been away from the game for awhile and decided to give the new beta (1.1.0) a try. The primary way to learn new weapon parts is to smelt down captured weapons. It used to be that when you smelted down a weapon you had a chance to learn a random weapon part. Now, the part you learn can only be of the weapon type you are smelting. Okay, that sounds logical, but the problem is that there are many weapons that you don't capture very often. You get tons of one handed swords, one handed axes and spears, but you almost never get two handed axes and swords, which makes it very difficult to learn new parts for those weapons. I think they should go back to giving you a chance to learn parts for any weapon type, not just the one you are smelting.
The smithing system is trash and should be taken out of the game. It fundamentally breaks the game economy and it isn't fun sitting in a settlement for year to learn all the parts because for some idiotic reason stamina only recover when sitting still.
Like you get stabbed and you recover from that while moving but blacksmithing requires a bed to get over. Everything about the system is poorly thought out and I hate it, and what it turns the game into.

The smithing system is trash and should be taken out of the game. It fundamentally breaks the game economy and it isn't fun sitting in a settlement for year to learn all the parts because for some idiotic reason stamina only recover when sitting still.

I don't understand why you don't just ignore smithing then. :unsure:

The new Smithing mechanic is better than the old. It makes sense that you would only "learn" a part from the type of weapon you smelt. It doesn't make sense if you are smelting a dagger, that you "learned" how to make an axe blade. The "grindiness" of it is to slow down that aspect of the game. Learning how to make basic weapons first then improving on it. I don't think it's that grindy, but it's better than randomly unlocking the best parts in the game on your first smelt.

A change to Smithing that I would welcome is smelting a weapon would unlock the parts its created from. If those parts are already unlocked, then add "xp" toward the next random part unlock. Keeping the low tier part unlocks first. If I smelt a sword, I should be able to craft that same sword, even though I expect it to have penalties and not be as good as the original until my level is higher.

Smithing to make a custom weapon is fine; but the unlocking aspect adds no gameplay practicality beyond just that. It's even less inefficient early on vs buying weapons that scale better; one would think the DIY method early on is alternative gameplay if one can't afford decent weapons. The shop-orders is 'ok' but they just added it in and left it as is with no further development on that end.
You have to grind a ridiculous amount (gold-sink) to get subpar parts that are barely better than shop weapons, grind the skill (yours and/or companions depending on your attribute build), do the stupid only in-town recovery, etc...Then they opened up so the parts for all other weapons (yet axes/maces/etc..still only maybe 10 parts total) so it's grindier to unlock and you can still also unlock 'nothing' sometimes.

Why not have parts be unlocked via certain quest rewards or purchasable 'faction' styles or particular to certain towns also. Maybe even needing good relations in order to buy/unlock. What about putting a companion (smithing one ideally) in town to passively gain some exp ('work') or have a chance to 'learn' parts? Or joining X faction gives you certain parts?
Anyone that bothers to grind/min/max smithing encounters the same block - the stamina/town rest (wonderful gameplay experience) and overabundance of materials.
Not to mention how unstable the valuation is where you don't even want to sell it because that's 'broken' money. Or how it, again, doesn't really make sense for a 'dynasty' game - since it's a one-time unlock threshold (only the skill devolves with death).

Back
Top Bottom